Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2005, 11:45 AM
Hi there.

I quit smoking after 15 years - cold turkey.

I stood one day at work and thought to myself: why do you smoke?? I couldnt really answer that, so I quit.

I started again after a year, but quit again after about 1½ years and have now not smoked for over 7 years

I do miss it once in a while, but not so much that it causes problems...

But as had been said before... Do you WANT to quit?? Or does your surroundings want you to quit?? You cant quit unless you really really want it... Been there done that a uncountable number of times.

Best of luck

J
maplecottage
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2005, 11:53 AM
Originally Posted by bellaluna
Hi there.

I quit smoking after 15 years - cold turkey.

I stood one day at work and thought to myself: why do you smoke?? I couldnt really answer that, so I quit.

I started again after a year, but quit again after about 1½ years and have now not smoked for over 7 years

I do miss it once in a while, but not so much that it causes problems...

But as had been said before... Do you WANT to quit?? Or does your surroundings want you to quit?? You cant quit unless you really really want it... Been there done that a uncountable number of times.

Best of luck

J
Good advice Jeanette..as you say got to have a good reason to give up....what assisted OH's decision is the first kiss, and the reaction of yuck, how gross - apparently enough reason for him to give up not that I told him to mind, his decision
Stewart
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

19-06-2005, 11:54 AM
I want to quit but i have no willpower
And i worry about my health and my wallet
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2005, 11:59 AM
Hi Stewart

I know all about no willpower and a weak (sp?) backbone. I've got plenty of that

But I guess this was just the right time for me...

Ooh and another thing... after about a week or 2 tops. You will be able to smell and taste things, you didnt even know you couldnt taste or smell now!!!

It was unbelievable!!!!!!!! A real WOW! moment....
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

19-06-2005, 01:15 PM
Originally Posted by bellaluna
after about a week or 2 tops. You will be able to smell and taste things, you didnt even know you couldnt taste or smell now!!!

It was unbelievable!!!!!!!! A real WOW! moment....
This so true J my OH noe really loves sesame (sp?)seeds (the little seeds on top)on bread and on any burgers he can smell and taste them now couldn't before.
The only other thing that you need to watch out for is weight gain my OH has gained 2 stone so now is on a crash diet to try and shead some of it.

Be strong and talk to yourself (not out lound or ppl will think your a looney) it's mind games just keep telling yourself why your giving up and convice yourself thisit true. Control the grey matter and your half way there after all it controls everything else.
Anne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-06-2005, 01:20 PM
I gave up 10 years ago, I did it because I wanted to. If you get in the right frame of mind believe me you can do it. But do it for YOU not anyone else. Good Luck. You will get there.
Anne W.
Emm
Dogsey Veteran

19-06-2005, 01:23 PM
I gave up smoking cold turkey - but I really wanted to give up so this helped a lot

It really is a matter of gaining control over your mind - I will never forget that feeling of walking out the house without worrying whether I had my ciggies and lighter with me - it was such a feeling of freedom
Stewart
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

19-06-2005, 01:29 PM
It is silly i mean you start to worry when you're running low and eat your dinner fast so you can have a ciggie, stupid!
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

19-06-2005, 01:40 PM
Stewart something else will suprize you when you finish is the smell of what smokers smell like.

I found it quite replusive and was suprized that i a ex smoker smelt like that when i smoked.
Stewart
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

19-06-2005, 01:41 PM
I've heard that
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >