Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moopink
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-10-2006, 06:36 PM

Destructive Behaviour

A friend of mine has a beautiful puppy, only a couple of months old but she is very destructive, chewing anything she can get her teeth on.
Be it wires (dangerous I know),table legs,folders,she really isn't fussy.
She does this when she is alone and when she has company so its not just because she is bored.
Any suggestions would be greatly received,Aston never went through the destructive stage,apart from a couple of chews of the wallpaper,so I don't know what to suggest for her,shes tried the reprimands,sprays etc...and doesn't know what to try next.
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-10-2006, 06:37 PM
Crate training him?
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-10-2006, 06:41 PM
Unfotunatly this is what pups do,that's why both of mine are crate trained,they sleep in there at night with the doors shut and when we are not home.
At least i know they are safe and my house will be in one piece when i return.
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-10-2006, 07:21 PM
puppies chew for a variety of reasons, one of the main reasons is teething.
heres an article i found a while ago that may be of some use:

Dealing with Normal Puppy Behaviour: Chewing
Puppies may be just as much work as human babies – maybe more so because puppies can't wear nappies and they have very sharp teeth! It is definitely true that, similar to human infants and toddlers, puppies explore their world by putting things in their mouths. In addition, puppies are teething until they’re about 6 months old, which usually causes them some discomfort. Chewing not only facilitates teething, but also makes sore gums feel better. While it is perfectly normal for puppies to chew on furniture, shoes and shrubbery, these behaviours can be a problem for you. A puppy will not magically
"outgrow" these behaviours as he matures. Instead, you must shape your puppy's behaviour and teach him which objects are acceptable chew toys and which are not.

Discouraging Unacceptable Behaviour
It is virtually inevitable that your puppy will, at some point, chew up something you value. This is part of raising a puppy! You can, however, prevent most problems by taking the following precautions:
• Minimize chewing problems by puppy-proofing your house. Put the trash out of reach inside a cabinet or outside on a porch, or buy containers with locking lids. Encourage children to pick up their toys and don’t leave socks, shoes, eyeglasses, briefcases, cell phones or TV remote controls lying around within your puppy’s reach.
• If, and only if, you actually catch your puppy chewing on something he shouldn't, interrupt the behaviour with a loud noise, then offer him an acceptable chew toy instead. Praise him lavishly when he takes the toy in his mouth.
• Make unacceptable chew items unpleasant to your puppy. Furniture and other items can be sprayed with Bitter Apple or other taste aversives to make them unappealing.
• Don't give your puppy objects to play with that can cause confusion, such as old socks, old shoes or old children's toys that closely resemble items that are off limits. He cannot tell the difference!
• Closely supervise your puppy. Don’t give him the chance to go off by himself and get into trouble. Use baby gates, close doors or tether him to you with a six-foot leash so you can keep an eye on him.
• When you must be gone from the house, confine your puppy to a small, safe area, such as a laundry room. You may also begin to crate train your
• Make sure your puppy is getting adequate physical activity. Puppies left alone in a yard do not play by themselves. Take your puppy for walks and/or play a game of fetch with him as often as possible.
• Give your puppy plenty of people time. He can only learn the rules of your house when he is in the house with you.

Encouraging Acceptable Behaviour
• Provide your puppy with many appropriate toys
• Rotate your puppy’s toys. Puppies, like babies, are often more interested in unfamiliar or novel objects. Put out four or five toys for a few days, then pick those up and put out four or five different ones.
• Experiment with different kinds of toys. When you introduce a new toy to your puppy, watch him to make sure he won’t tear it up and ingest the pieces.
• Consider the various types of toys that can be stuffed with food. Putting tidbits of food inside chew toys focuses your puppy’s chewing activities on those toys instead of on unacceptable objects.
• If your puppy is teething, try freezing a wet washcloth for him to chew on.
What Not To Do
Never discipline or punish your puppy after-the-fact. If you discover a chewed item even minutes after he’s chewed it, you’re too late to administer a correction. Animals associate punishment with what they’re doing at the time they’re being punished. Dogs and puppies cannot reason that, "I tore up those shoes an hour ago and that's why I'm being scolded now." Some people believe this is what a puppy is thinking because he runs and hides or because he "looks guilty." Guilty looks are canine submissive postures that dogs show when they feel threatened. When you’re angry and upset, the puppy feels threatened by your tone of voice, body postures and/or facial expressions, so he may hide or show submissive postures. Punishment after-the-fact will not only fail to eliminate the undesirable behaviour, but could provoke other undesirable behaviours.

Other Reasons for Destructive Behaviour
Although most destructive chewing by puppies is normal behaviour, some puppies may exhibit destructive behaviour for the same reasons as adult dogs. Examples include separation anxiety, fear related behaviours and attention-getting behaviour.
Moopink
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-10-2006, 08:12 PM
Thanks.
I will pass on the information, and hopefully she will get some results
whimsey
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-10-2006, 08:54 PM
I have just one adwise. Cover wires an put shoes and other things you care about of her reach. If she don't mind she can sleep in a cage - but don't use the cage daytime to punish or otherwise.
If you can live with this for a while the problem will pass..