View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2011, 04:04 PM
Lol I was allowed me nose pierced in primary school, even played for the schools girls football team wearing it, but when the head of year came round to see all of us going into her school, there were onlh five of us, first thing her and assistant head said were that I' have to remove it, my nose piercing wasn't hurting no-one and I liked it, it didn't make everybody else want one, ane it didn't affect my ability to learn, or affect the teachers teaching me, tbh what made the start of my secondary school life worse was that I already didn't like how the teachers had already told me I couldn't have what I loved, not five minutes after speaking to me, and that I was being judged by the actions of my brother and sister who had already been through the school. I think personally if somethings not hurting anyone, and if the kids respect the adults that they should be allowed little things like nose piercings, as I don't think a little nose stud is really that offensive to others.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2011, 04:10 PM
Reading about the school uniform, I think it would be a great idea for whoever, to make this compulsory again (coz it was compulsory in my day, but I'm going back a bit here).

If you look back to when you had to wear your school uniform, I think it changes your persona somewhat, in that you're not the gobby adolescent that you are when you're hanging about with your mates, you are part of a "team" who are all wearing the same and all feeling just as much of a pratt as you are, it kind of "humbles" you a bit I seem to remember? (yes, I was a bit of a rebel at school ) Maybe, if these hoodies were made to wear such a uniform it could make them see themselves in a different light, whereas normally, they stick themselves in their own ranks as to who's better than who, who's harder than who, purely because of the designer labels they wear? So in fact, you are actually taking them out of that "pressure" by wearing it, to be part of this gang or that gang, or better than him or her, and it could well quieten things down in the schoolyard, which in turn, might help outside of it?

Just a thought...... of which I have many.... some good, some not so good lol!
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2011, 04:11 PM
My high school was horrifically strict on uniform - down to the colours of hairbobbles/slides you were allowed to wear!

I have seen girls in school uniform whose skirts are so short, you can see what colour knickers they have on when they are walking to school. I can't understand how a) they can go out looking like that, and b) how their parents can let them out like that.

Nevermind respect for other people, many of them have no respect for themselves!
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2011, 04:11 PM
Sorry double post .
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2011, 04:16 PM
..... and I was once given DOUBLE detention for having my haircut where one side fell down across one eye!!!! Can you belieeeeeve that??!!! Not a stud or ear-ring in sight either and my skirt was well below my knees! It's all down to respect, same as how you should dress for an interview or a court hearing (not that I go to many of those lol!)
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-08-2011, 04:19 PM
Originally Posted by chaz View Post
Lol I was allowed me nose pierced in primary school, even played for the schools girls football team wearing it, but when the head of year came round to see all of us going into her school, there were onlh five of us, first thing her and assistant head said were that I' have to remove it, my nose piercing wasn't hurting no-one and I liked it, it didn't make everybody else want one, ane it didn't affect my ability to learn, or affect the teachers teaching me, tbh what made the start of my secondary school life worse was that I already didn't like how the teachers had already told me I couldn't have what I loved, not five minutes after speaking to me, and that I was being judged by the actions of my brother and sister who had already been through the school. I think personally if somethings not hurting anyone, and if the kids respect the adults that they should be allowed little things like nose piercings, as I don't think a little nose stud is really that offensive to others.

Your joking right......nose piercing in primary school, and you dont see what what wrong with that, shock:

Its not about what you think is not offencive to others, its a about learning to conform to society... not to mention having your nose pierced at the age of 7/8/9/10... also not to mention who pieced your nose, as its against the law, to Peirce under 16 I think, so I know some kids can lie about their age , but you would have to a blind man to mistake an under 11 yr old for someone over 16
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2011, 04:29 PM
I was in year six I think so ten or eleven and it was done by a family friend down from solsbury in another family friends living room, school never mentioned anything wrong with it, infact I remember head teacher laughing when I did cover it up, and like I said I played for the school with it in aswell, I never saw anything wrong wih it, and I know of kids who have had their ears pierced at a younger age (incendently I had them down at the same time), infact a mates kids five and just had hers done at the hair dressers. It didn't hurt anyone else, and it was up to others to take offensive to it, I think it annoyed the head of year though, as coz my sisters five years older my head of year just got rid of her and confisacting her nose studs, then had to do the same to me .
Stormpants
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-08-2011, 04:41 PM
Originally Posted by bens mum View Post
havent read all through the posts sorry, but thought id tell u what just happened to my hubby. we live in essex, and he had to go to leytonstone high road, all went well untill it was time for to leave, headed off towards the large up in the air roundabout towards the A127 charlie was on his motorbike only a small 250 plod along, and he noticed a car right on his rear wheel pushing him along. and he had to go thtough a red light on the roundabout, if he had stopped this car would of hit him as the driver just wasnt slowing down. the car shot around charlie and when it got level to him he noticed it was full of black youths laughing at him, and what worried him was 1 was making a gun shooting sign at him. they also went on to call him all sorts of names.he said the attitude has changed in that area, he felt very uncomfortable, so guess we wont be going there for a long while.
B*******!!!!!

That must have been so scary, how dare they! Especially to somebody on a motorbike, (I ride a motorbike and know how vunerable you are!) they could have easily killed your hubby!!

It's a pity he didn't get their registration number and report the scum bag morons!!!
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-08-2011, 04:52 PM
Originally Posted by chaz View Post
I was in year six I think so ten or eleven and it was done by a family friend down from solsbury in another family friends living room, school never mentioned anything wrong with it, infact I remember head teacher laughing when I did cover it up, and like I said I played for the school with it in aswell, I never saw anything wrong wih it, and I know of kids who have had their ears pierced at a younger age (incendently I had them down at the same time), infact a mates kids five and just had hers done at the hair dressers. It didn't hurt anyone else, and it was up to others to take offensive to it, I think it annoyed the head of year though, as coz my sisters five years older my head of year just got rid of her and confisacting her nose studs, then had to do the same to me .
Firstly I was getting mixed up with the age limit, (confused with tattoos) but the facts are you said the school told you to remove it.. you seeing nothing wrong with it is immaterial, its school policy and you have to do as you are told,

At 10 yrs of age, having your nose pierced in someones living room, is irresponsible of the adults who did it and those who allowed it to be done,
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

17-08-2011, 04:58 PM
I remember a cousin of mine being expelled for a week for having his hair cut he came back with a skin head after being told it was too long. I can still hear the conversation in the corridor between him and the teacher.

Re: the piercing issue it was not sure if it still is illegal to pierce under the age of 16 without parents consent.

Nowadays we have many travellers children attending schools and piercing is part of their culture so not sure if this is why the rule is more lenient these days because we cannot discriminate.

I remember some friends doing their own ear piercing with a cork and an ice cube they of course had to remove the earing before coming to school as it was not allowed and in my day you did as you were told unless you wanted your parents to hear of your misdemeanors.

I expect many young girls go out of the door with their skirts at a respectable length and then hitch them up when out of parents sight.
Page 45 of 47 « First < 35 42 43 44 45 46 47 >