View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lizziehuck
New Member!
Female 

08-04-2010, 09:53 AM

Are any human painkillers safe for dogs?

are they any human painkillers that are safe to give dogs
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-04-2010, 10:01 AM
Hi Lizzie if you think your dog is in pain for any reason it is best to see a vet.

'Human' painkillers and those given to dogs have different coatings and absorption rates, some can cause an adverse reaction. If is best to seek the advice of a vet before giving any medication to your dog.
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

08-04-2010, 10:15 AM
Yes, if your dog is in pain, it is best to see the vet. They have much better stuff than anything you can buy. Among what you can buy, aspirin is OK. Most of the newer stuff are very dangerous. Buffered is best, 5 mg per pound of body weight every 12 hours. I would only give it if I couldn't get to the vet right away. When you do get to the vet, let him know you gave the dog aspirin.
bugzy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-04-2010, 11:18 AM
Originally Posted by Labman View Post
Yes, if your dog is in pain, it is best to see the vet. They have much better stuff than anything you can buy. Among what you can buy, aspirin is OK. Most of the newer stuff are very dangerous. Buffered is best, 5 mg per pound of body weight every 12 hours. I would only give it if I couldn't get to the vet right away. When you do get to the vet, let him know you gave the dog aspirin.
Giving Aspirin to a dog with a bleeding disorder such as Vwd can be VERY DANGEROUS. Aspirin thins the blood, if you have a breed that has Vwd then you could cause the dog to bleed out!
cintvelt
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-04-2010, 12:17 PM
I really wouldn't recommend giving a dog any medication which has not been OK-ed by your vet!!! If it hurts enough for you to consider pain-relief, then it hurts enough to go and visit the vet... as for aspirin, what I do know is that it's dangerous for small children, so there's no way I'd be giving it to my dog... unless I'm trapped in the woods with a dog in excruciating pain, no cell-phone coverage, no ice-packs and no hope of getting any help soon.... then I would maybe consider the aspirin.... never say never...
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2010, 12:20 PM
NEVER self medicate!! if your dog is in enough pain that u feel painkillers are required...you need to go to the vet!!!
not only that it can effect what your vet is able to give your dog.
muttzrule
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2010, 05:05 AM
NO absolutely not! Most human pain meds are toxic to dogs. If your dog is in pain, take it to the vet. do NOT give it an aspirin first. doing so will limit what GOOD, MORE EFFECTIVE, and SAFER meds your vet CAN give your dog.

See the vet.
Jo_W
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-04-2010, 08:15 AM
My GSD's face swelled up quite badly one night, so I rang the Vet who said it sounded like he'd had a wasp sting.

He advised to give him aspirin and if he was no better in the morning, to take him in to the surgery. The Vet said aspirin would not do him any harm in the short term if he needed immediate pain relief.

That said you must NEVER give a dog paracetamol under any circumstance, it is extremely toxic to them.