Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
liverbird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2010, 08:17 PM

RSPCA loss after Caernarfon pet is put down

The RSPCA has lost out on part of a£400,000 legacy after a pet dog was put down.

Blackie's owner Claude Atack, 80, from Caernarfon, Gwynedd, had specified that any charity which found his pet a home would get a large part of his estate.

Solicitor Dewi Pritchard Jones thought the dog was in good health and was shocked he had been put down.

But the RSPCA said Blackie was found to suffer from numerous health problems, and was put down on humane grounds.

Mr Atack was found collapsed at his home by concerned neighbours when they realised they had not seen him walking sheepdog Blackie on 29 January.

'Safe'

"He walked Blackie four times a day, and he lived for the dog," said Mr Pritchard Jones.

Mr Atack died in hospital on 1 February.

A neighbour initially looked after Blackie, then he was handed over to the RSPCA.

"I wasn't concerned because their leaflets state that they do not put animals down without good reason. I thought he was safe," said the solicitor.

He added that Mr Atack had stated in his will that his estate should be shared between different charities, but with no less than one fifth going to an animal charity.

But verbally he had told his solicitor that more of his estate should be given to any charity which found Blackie a new home.

He had stipulated that he could be "especially generous" to any charity which found his dog a home.

Mr Pritchard Jones said that a couple, who do not wish to be named but who knew Mr Atack, came forward to offer Blackie a home on 8 February.

They traced him to an RSPCA kennel at Shrewsbury, but were told he had already been put down on the day he was handed in.

However the RSPCA said Blackie went to them on 2 February, and was only put to sleep on 8 February, after he was assessed for six days.

"They said it was because he was in poor health, but I know his health was good," said Mr Pritchard Jones.

"The old gentleman thought the world of him and at any sign of illness he would be whipped off to the vet," he said.

Other charities

"The vet said he (Blackie) had cataracts and was overweight, as a dog which is pampered tends to be," he added.

The incident would have broken Mr Atack's heart, he said.

"He lived by himself, it was just him and the dog," he added.

The solicitor added that the money - in excess of £400,000 - would be shared between other charities.

"I am angry about what happened, because I have a dog which is 15 years old, and you can't put them down just because they are old," he said.

"I think Blackie would have made someone elderly a lovely companion, as he was used to being around an older person, and they often don't want the hassle of getting a puppy," he added.

The RSPCA said all animals that go into RSPCA care go through an assessment period which includes a general health check by a vet.

"Blackie had numerous health problems including a severe heart murmur and the vet recommended he was put to sleep on humane grounds," said a spokesperson.

"The RSPCA has a strong reputation of re-homing elderly animals and the very difficult decision regarding Blackie was purely based on welfare grounds and would not have altered had the RSPCA known about his deceased owner's will."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/north_west/8545374.stm
lisa0307
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-03-2010, 09:24 PM
Words fail me
Stinka_Inca
New Member!
Female 

02-03-2010, 09:29 PM
I am guessing that each franchise of the RSPCA are different. The one here in Chesterfield, Derbyshire is excellent - I know I am avolunteer there and see the good work they do.
Mum To Many
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-03-2010, 12:50 AM
Something really should be done about the RSPCA they are a joke!
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-03-2010, 01:14 AM
Hi,

Why am I not surprised??!

I've recently seen TV adverts too by the RSPCA stating that in the event of an owner's death they can (if requested and with payment to them whilst the owner is still alive) look after their pet until it comes to the end of it's life. I wonder how many people think their dog will get a good life for a number of years after they've gone possibly.

At least Mr Atack and Blackie are together again now!

Laura xx
Bagwoman
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-03-2010, 09:22 AM
You have taken the words right out of my mouth!
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

03-03-2010, 09:30 AM
What a tragedy all round, and only 8 days to asses a dogs future seems harsh to me. Sounds like a typical case of people 'just following the rules' thoughts of Nazi Germany come to mind. Still, as mentioned above Mr. Atack and Blackie are together again now.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-03-2010, 10:49 AM
Originally Posted by Stumpywop View Post
Hi,

I've recently seen TV adverts too by the RSPCA stating that in the event of an owner's death they can (if requested and with payment to them whilst the owner is still alive) look after their pet until it comes to the end of it's life. I wonder how many people think their dog will get a good life for a number of years after they've gone possibly.

At least Mr Atack and Blackie are together again now!

Laura xx
The so called Home for Life

They do qualify the offer though, the presenter states"Will do all it can for your pet", in other words give us your money & your pet & we'll do what we like with the pet ! See the link in red above for the advert.

A bit like the old lady who left them £500,000 & her Yorkshire Terrier, they took the money & put the dog down !
liverbird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-03-2010, 02:28 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
The so called Home for Life

They do qualify the offer though, the presenter states"Will do all it can for your pet", in other words give us your money & your pet & we'll do what we like with the pet ! See the link in red above for the advert.

A bit like the old lady who left them £500,000 & her Yorkshire Terrier, they took the money & put the dog down !
i've heard this too and seen the advert with that smarmy Tim Wass. yuck, he makes me cringe.
i have tried to put the word out about the 'Homes for Life' scheme urging people to cancel their subscriptions, lets hope this article gets through to some of them.
susieq
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-03-2010, 09:23 PM
Wouldnt trust these people as far as I could throw them, it riles me when I think how much the RSPCA get when there are animal rescues struggling to survive who really do care and look after animals genuinely.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >