Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
pennylady
New Member!
Female 

22-01-2012, 08:08 PM

Travel anxiety

does any1 know a good natural remedy for travel anxiety i have a 11mth border collie who hates travel ive tried sea legs and ginger without any sucess thanks
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2012, 08:13 PM
• Covering up the cage so the dog cannot see things moving
• Homeopathic remedies: Cocculus, Bryonia, Petroleum, Sepia, Tabacum, Nux Vomica
• Herbal remedies: Ginger, Scullcap and Valerian
• Bach Flower Essences: Rescue Remedy, Cherry Plum but Scleranthus would be the essence of choice.
• Commercial Products: Seren-UM, contains vitamins, minerals and amino acids, DAP spray, Anxiety Travel
• Ginger Biscuits!
nickmcmechan
Almost a Veteran
Male 

22-01-2012, 08:28 PM
behavioural training as well

- start off putting the dog in the car and play, give treats. don't move the car; do this for a while until settled
- then move on to moving the car a few yards and back
- gradually and slowly increase distance
- eventually go for random short drives, slowly and gradually building up time
- if you move on a stage and it is too much, move back a stage, all the way back to step one if need be
- use the products SB recommended as well
Chocolatechien
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-01-2012, 10:04 PM
One of mine suffered with travel anxiety and I've tried nearly all the good advice above. The only additional suggestions I would offer are- Opening the car window a bit to let interesting smells come in (not at high speeds though due to the additional wind noises). This helped her a lot. Make the initial journeys short and drive slowly to a final destination that is a benefit to them- so the car means park/beach/pet shop to them. I had an interesting bit where she couldn't wait to get in the car, would get in excitedly and voluntarily but still shake the entire journey! She grew out of it and waits by the door to be let in now!