Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Dalmonda
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-09-2012, 07:20 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Also remember he is a young, enthusiastic dog. He will no doubt calm down somewhat with age as well
Yes! That was in my head ! I have his brother here with me to... who seems to be months ahead in terms of maturity!

I just wanted a couple more heads in the pot on this one! I find opinions form outsiders helps me to think and get to the route of a problem I have not yet considered! Just like this case... I have a feeling together we hit the nail on the head! Now I must crack on with some action!
Rolosmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2012, 07:26 PM
My advice would be to actively train him to settle, i started this right from young puppy hood, just teaching my spaniel to lie down either near/with me or on his own and that it was okay to lay and chew something or just lay for a while.

It took me kind of cuddle holding him initially and if he tried to move quite quickly encouraging just a bit longer each time.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2012, 07:29 PM
Originally Posted by Dalmonda View Post
If I am honest with you, part of his hyperactivity is his inability to switch from working to not working quickly. Something which is being worked on by myself and with other trainers in my field.

He gets ALOT of mental stimulation...I wouldn't give him anymore. He struggles to rest. Even at night he will fall down before he volunteers himself to bed. He is excellent at switching off when crated.

His impulse control at work and outside the house is fine. He is a grade A worker right now.

It is only in the house that we have an issue. I will take on the advice to practise massage and a trained "settle"
How do you rate a worker as grade A at his age? What do you do with him at the moment re searches?

Is your other dog also grade A?

As you don't have a 'boss' so to speak do you work with other trainers and brainstorm stuff?

Its interesting as it isn't the sort of set up that is usual, did you choose the dogs and will they stay with you for ever or will they be passed on if you leave?

rune
Dalmonda
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-09-2012, 07:41 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
How do you rate a worker as grade A at his age? What do you do with him at the moment re searches? He is of excellent quality considering his age, training and performance. It takes 2 years to get a dog completely established.

Is your other dog also grade A? The others perform well and have passed their stages as they came and went. The dog in question is the best I have ever had, a real superstar!

As you don't have a 'boss' so to speak do you work with other trainers and brainstorm stuff? I do have a boss. We liase with other members in the team - worldwide.

Its interesting as it isn't the sort of set up that is usual, did you choose the dogs and will they stay with you for ever or will they be passed on if you leave? They will stay with me. We live, work and travel together.

rune
Hi Rune, I will send you a more detailed answer privately.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2012, 08:23 PM
Originally Posted by Dalmonda View Post
Hi Rune, I will send you a more detailed answer privately.
Thank you--have you had many other dogs? You didn't work the dalmatians I assume

rune
Dalmonda
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-09-2012, 08:26 PM
Thank you--have you had many other dogs? You didn't work the dalmatians I assume

rune
My Dalmatians were as thick as Thats why my parents love them!

My "pet" experience is with Dallys and GSDs, but I only work with Spaniels.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2012, 08:31 PM
My spaniel is the cleverest dog I have had bar none. She is playing the part of a search dog in a film next week, shes well pleased with herself and wants afluffy toy as payment!

Trouble is they are usually cleverer than their owners!

Great fun though.

rune
Dalmonda
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-09-2012, 08:33 PM
My spaniel is the cleverest dog I have had bar none. She is playing the part of a search dog in a film next week, shes well pleased with herself and wants afluffy toy as payment!

Trouble is they are usually cleverer than their owners!

Great fun though.

rune
Oh bless her! Please tell us all about it!
mac82
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-09-2012, 11:40 AM
have just read post and we had a very similar problem with our dobe at around exactly the same age, he would just start pinging around the house not knowing what to do with himself, we were baffled and he was also fed a combination of raw and kibble, we found with our boy we had to get the lowest protein food we could find which was burns, we have also tried him on senior james wellbeloved which has a very low protein content, within the week he was a different dog in the house, it was unbelievable, we find if we get a food with too much protein he again goes into nuts mode. we havent had a dog who was like this before and it has been an amazing learning curve for us!!!!
just wondering if this could be a possibility for you???
Dalmonda
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-09-2012, 11:50 AM
Originally Posted by mac82 View Post
have just read post and we had a very similar problem with our dobe at around exactly the same age, he would just start pinging around the house not knowing what to do with himself, we were baffled and he was also fed a combination of raw and kibble, we found with our boy we had to get the lowest protein food we could find which was burns, we have also tried him on senior james wellbeloved which has a very low protein content, within the week he was a different dog in the house, it was unbelievable, we find if we get a food with too much protein he again goes into nuts mode. we havent had a dog who was like this before and it has been an amazing learning curve for us!!!!
just wondering if this could be a possibility for you???
Hi Mac82!

We hadn't really had an issue behaviour related to food, due to his high metabolism we tend to need to give him a little more protein when he is looking skinny. That is a good idea though!

We are looking at some settle training! I pulled a video tutorial from the database this morning...I am not sure which technique will be best for us yet but something reward based. He is eager to please! New Kongs and healthy filling ideas noted also! Self soothe we're calling it apparently!

Will let you guys know how I get on in the training and behaviour section!
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >