Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-10-2011, 11:39 AM
Originally Posted by Brundog View Post
Take a look round any centre, gumtree and free ads and explain to me why we shouldn't neuter all dogs that come in? Of course there are some owners who are hugely responsible and take every step to ensure that their dog never gets the opportunity to mate with any dog, however the majority of normal pet owners don't often realise the difficulty in having an unneutered pet until it's too late and the dog has either escaped and mated or in season and been mated.
How many times have we had stories on here of dogs accidentally mated, or stories of meeting someone in the park withtheir inseason dog oflead.

Rescues have to do what they can to prevent the overbreeding and irresponsibility of dog ownership otherwise we would simply become a rehoming service not a rescue.

I think that like anything it's what you want to believe but I know that 2 of my nonnas dogs that were not do both eventually succumbed to prostrate related illness and the amount of times I have heard " oh I want my bitch to have a litter as it's the best thing for her" ...

Clearly not neutering dogs isn't working otherwise we wouldn't have theamount of litters we do .
I fully support the mandatory neutering of all rescue dogs regardless of age, and am currently involved with trying to get legislation to make this essential along with microchipping of dogs to try and curb the over population we have.

I would far rather have possibly a few incidents of neutering related ilness than have the faces of the ones that don't survive the council pound haunt me.

Rescues don't have the time to chase up owners to ensure that they have neutered the dogs they rehome so they must try and neuter before rehoming. There are few incidents where we will rehome with voucher for neutering however ideally we wouldneuter dog whilst in current home the move.

Further we give the option to new owners go pay extra and have keyhole spay so less of a recovery. Male dogs its an easier recovery.
I totally agree with all of this . Excellent post .
Azz
Administrator
Male 

02-10-2011, 01:25 PM
Thanks for the posts everyone. I can see why rescues would want to neuter - especially when you think how many irresponsible people are out there - but should these people be getting dogs? And wouldn't rescues be attracting a more responsible crowd anyway?

I've always said I'd love to rescue a dog, but I am against the neutering of males if they are healthy so that cuts me out from almost all rescues.
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-10-2011, 01:56 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
Thanks for the posts everyone. I can see why rescues would want to neuter - especially when you think how many irresponsible people are out there - but should these people be getting dogs? And wouldn't rescues be attracting a more responsible crowd anyway?

I've always said I'd love to rescue a dog, but I am against the neutering of males if they are healthy so that cuts me out from almost all rescues.
Interesting thoughts Azz,
Like you I can see why they do it but I am against routine neutering.
I also don't like rescue's that insist that you neuter your own dogs before they would let you adopt one of there dogs.My dogs are my responsilbility and I do what I think is correct for them and neutering is not one of them.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-10-2011, 01:59 PM
Raz was (and is) entire. And so was Daisy when I got her. It`s always worth looking at the policies of small Rescues - they don`t all neuter you know.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-10-2011, 02:17 PM

If you get someone who wants to adopt saying all the right things and ticking the right boxes, it's can be hard to distinguish between good and bad owners.

It could be argued that the person who is empathic against neutering is not a suitable person to own an entire dog. It matters not to me whether a dog in a rescue centre has or has not his testes, if i wanted to adopt a male dog. Lack of body parts should not be deciding influence.

We had no plans to neuter Harvey however he had undescended testes and it was considered beneficial health wise to get him done, he is a fab dog all round, you couldn't wish for better, yet supposing I had went out, been hit by a bus & ended up six foot under &Harvey had ended up in a Boxer rescue, if he had ticked all your boxes for the perfect companion, what could be said about the person who went to the rescue and said - no way, he has no testes - no good for me. How many rescues would want to home a dog with a person who had that attitude - after all an already neutered dog in rescue - you wont know why the owner had it done - it works both ways
Azz
Administrator
Male 

02-10-2011, 03:14 PM
Originally Posted by Sal View Post
Interesting thoughts Azz,
Like you I can see why they do it but I am against routine neutering.
I also don't like rescue's that insist that you neuter your own dogs before they would let you adopt one of there dogs.My dogs are my responsilbility and I do what I think is correct for them and neutering is not one of them.
I think that's cheeky - telling you to neuter your existing animals. If rescues are not careful they will end up alienating people.

Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Raz was (and is) entire. And so was Daisy when I got her. It`s always worth looking at the policies of small Rescues - they don`t all neuter you know.
That's good to know, thanks Claire.

Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
If you get someone who wants to adopt saying all the right things and ticking the right boxes, it's can be hard to distinguish between good and bad owners.
Maybe it would be better to have a more in-depth vetting procedure, and spending the money on that instead of the cost of neutering? I can definitely see the benefit in neutering females - they would after all, be the ones left with the pups, and they are the ones who have to go through being in heat (where I guess the frustration isn't pleasant). But I feel it is unnecessary (and dangerous) for males.

It could be argued that the person who is empathic against neutering is not a suitable person to own an entire dog. It matters not to me whether a dog in a rescue centre has or has not his testes, if i wanted to adopt a male dog. Lack of body parts should not be deciding influence.
I have to disagree, people who have a holistic and natural view are not 'unfit' to own dogs (if anything, the opposite ). I am against unnatural practises that I feel are detrimental, such as the genital mutilation of males and females (circumcision). And I think it's reasonable and astute to want to do all you can so that your dog will be able to live a life as healthy and fit as possible.

We had no plans to neuter Harvey however he had undescended testes and it was considered beneficial health wise to get him done..
I have no problems with it if there's a medical reason to get it done
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-10-2011, 04:15 PM
I've had 2 rescue dogs in the past, both from local but different rescues. My male Doberman was entire. He's with different owners now and to this day he remains entire, I see him regularly at fun shows and on the park. Nobody has ever followed up correctly on his neutering (he was supposed to have been done). My collie bitch was rehomed to me entire and again, no follow up has occurred, but I had her spayed myself.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-10-2011, 04:17 PM
As for other draconian measures that rescues insist on, this is one of the reasons why people are drawn to BYB etc because they make no demands re neutering and are often cheaper.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

02-10-2011, 04:31 PM
Originally Posted by Leanne_W View Post
I've had 2 rescue dogs in the past, both from local but different rescues. My male Doberman was entire. He's with different owners now and to this day he remains entire, I see him regularly at fun shows and on the park. Nobody has ever followed up correctly on his neutering (he was supposed to have been done). My collie bitch was rehomed to me entire and again, no follow up has occurred, but I had her spayed myself.
Again that's reassuring, thanks Leanne.

Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
As for other draconian measures that rescues insist on, this is one of the reasons why people are drawn to BYB etc because they make no demands re neutering and are often cheaper.
I think you're right there Smokey. Rescues can sometimes come across in a bad light due to some of their policies

I know they need to make money - but charging for dogs seems counter intuitive to me. I think other fund-raising events would serve them better. Sponsored walks etc

I also think people will feel like they've rescued _more_ if they didn't have to 'pay' for their dog. That just makes it feel like a sale.

I wonder if that is the way forward, people looking to get a dog don't pay for it, but promise to take part in a sponsored walk a few months down the line - I can see people getting really excited about that, their new pup, is going to help raise money for the rescue shelter he or she came from and they get all their family of friends to sponsor the walk... I bet they'd raise more than the £150 the rescues charge too

I'm not sure what the answer is regarding some of the other things - but I reckon 'home checks' and some of the other policies are putting more people off than I think they might be accounting for.

Like you said, it's easier to look on the web, find a pup for sale, pick the one you want and get him/her home with far less hassle.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-10-2011, 04:34 PM

Maybe it would be better to have a more in-depth vetting procedure, and spending the money on that instead of the cost of neutering? I can definitely see the benefit in neutering females - they would after all, be the ones left with the pups, and they are the ones who have to go through being in heat (where I guess the frustration isn't pleasant). But I feel it is unnecessary (and dangerous) for males.

- it takes two to produce puppies & it's a much less invasive procedure for a male to be neutered than a female to be spayed.

I have to disagree, people who have a holistic and natural view are not 'unfit' to own dogs (if anything, the opposite ). I am against unnatural practises that I feel are detrimental, such as the genital mutilation of males and females (circumcision). And I think it's reasonable and astute to want to do all you can so that your dog will be able to live a life as healthy and fit as possible.

I agree with rescues who want rescue dogs neutered. It's been known for rescue dogs to be used for breeding - perhaps we agree to differ here

I have no problems with it if there's a medical reason to get it done
I don't think you an compare circumcision with neutering. Perhaps as that is a human situation we should have a different thread for it?
Page 2 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »