Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
newforestfcr
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-10-2007, 09:02 PM

Fighting for no reason

Hi can anybody shed any light or give advice please - we have always had flat coats so fairly experinced owners at the beginning of the summer we were approached by the breeder to rehome one of our dogs brothers we took him, as he seemed to get on well with Paddy. Our dog is entire and the other castrated - but now in the last week they have started fighting why would they start now after living in harmony for 4 months?? any ideas
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2007, 07:14 AM
First of all there is never no reason why they are fighting, it's just a matter of finding out what they are fighting for. If this is a sudden behaviour with no build up towards it then I would recommend getting them both seen by a vet for a thorough examination as it could be a helath issue.
If that reveals nothing then you will need to watch them very carefully and see what the trigger is. Once you know what that is then a solution can be found.
However, my first port of call would be the vet.
Becky
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2007, 10:01 AM
Hi You!!!! Long time no see!!!!
How are you? Any pics of the latest addition?

As Becky said there is always a reason even though it may not be obvious to us. It could be that there is a local bitch in season that you don't know about and Paddy is reacting to it, there could be any number of reasons.
First thing to do is a thorough check up for both of them at the vet, explain to the vet why you are taking them,so they will know common things to look out for that may trigger the behaviour. Once that's done (or even before) you need to watch them like a hawk and monitor what may be triggering it. is it when they are left alone? Is it at feeding time? Is it over toys or attention.

It may also be that they are finally sorting out the pecking order???? Also look at any changes in family circumstances, children out and about more,that sort of thing.

There could be any number of reasons though which is why it's best to rule out anything medical first....has the breeder come up with any ideas?

Bit of a worry I'm sure, especially as it is out of character for a flattie to be like that isn't it?

Going to PM you as well!!!!!!
Hope this helps. Ax
newforestfcr
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-10-2007, 08:43 PM
Thanks for your advice Paddy has been given a clean bill of health when neutered today! i shall monitor over the next few weeks as testorone levels fall - i know dogs just dont fight it just seemed odd after a few months of living togther but i guess they are vieing for top dog postition - i assumed Paddy was top dog as entire and had lived here all his life but maybe Benson has the edge although they are equal in who starts the fights. Anyhow i spoke to the vet and if it doesn't stop i shall see there behaviorist.

Ramble i will upload pics soon.
WendyP
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-10-2007, 06:10 PM
My daughter has a similar problem she has two bitches both spayed and we have discovered that alot of the fighting is connected with her monthly cycle until we can rehome one of them them live muzzled during the day, with two dogs of the same sex it's often hormones.

Good luck
WendyP
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2007, 09:02 PM
How are things going with your boys now?
WendyP
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-11-2007, 09:32 PM
We found and vet agrees it is possible that a woman's cycle can affect dogs behaviour and that is so in our case