Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Reisu
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-10-2010, 08:48 PM

Jobie has collapsed

He was lying in the hallway and suddenly a noise started coming from out there like he was thrashing about. I didn't think about it much as he often runs in his sleep but it suddenly got quite violent and thought I it sounded like he was having some kind of fit, so I went to jump up but he came barreling in through the door, bashed his head on the coffee table and then just leant against it... I put my arms under him and he just slid down on to the floor. Fast heartrate, really pale gums, and really cold... my poor boy. We covered him up in blankets and gave him a hot water bottle and he seems to be feeling better, he's been asking for fuss though he hasn't gotten up yet. He's not the type to pick things up to eat (won't eat anything but meat on walks) and nothing unusual has happened so I'm at a bit of a loss as to what it could be. He'll be straight down the vets tomorrow, but does anyone have any idea about what it could be?
jordanio0207
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-10-2010, 08:58 PM
To me it sounds very much like he has a fit, they are very disorientated after and quite weak, I would just leave him in a dark room until he seems he's normal self and contact vets 1st thing in the morning. We had a collie who suffered from fits he's whole life, it's very scary to see them like that isn't it
Hope he gets better soon
Shani
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-10-2010, 09:23 PM
It does sound like a fit, also knocking himself senseless on the coffee table wouldn't have helped
Hope if it was a fit that it was a one off & may never happen again, hope your vet can get to the bottom of it. {{{hugs}}}
Reisu
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-10-2010, 09:34 PM
Well he can walk again, though not very well, he just about got down the stairs but can't get up so im sleeping with him in the dining room. Thankyou both, I hope he feels better soon too
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2010, 09:42 PM
Oh poor boy It does sound like a fit. I hope your vet can sort it out. It's so very worrying isn't it? Big hugs and healing vibes to you and your beautiful boy ))))))) xxxx
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2010, 09:53 PM
What a horrible evening you are having. I am sure that you will be straight down to the Vet first thing in the morning.

I hope that by then he is back to normal, because it does worry me that looking at the timings of your posts he is still not able to walk properly.

Why oh why do these things always happen at night or at the weekend??!
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2010, 10:44 PM
Originally Posted by Reisu View Post
He was lying in the hallway and suddenly a noise started coming from out there like he was thrashing about. I didn't think about it much as he often runs in his sleep but it suddenly got quite violent and thought I it sounded like he was having some kind of fit, so I went to jump up but he came barreling in through the door, bashed his head on the coffee table and then just leant against it... I put my arms under him and he just slid down on to the floor. Fast heartrate, really pale gums, and really cold... my poor boy. We covered him up in blankets and gave him a hot water bottle and he seems to be feeling better, he's been asking for fuss though he hasn't gotten up yet. He's not the type to pick things up to eat (won't eat anything but meat on walks) and nothing unusual has happened so I'm at a bit of a loss as to what it could be. He'll be straight down the vets tomorrow, but does anyone have any idea about what it could be?
If he were mine, he would have gone to the Vets immediately. I do hope he will be ok and its nothing serious.

Not sure about a "fit" with pale gums.
Vicki_Ann
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-10-2010, 11:14 PM
As a vet student, those signs should have warranted being rushed to an emergency vet immediately in order to be stabilised, those were signs of shock you described.

I do hope he's okay and your vet can get to the bottom of this but please, please, if he does not improve in the next hour or so or this happens again get him straight in the car and to your emergency vet.
JackieandMia
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-10-2010, 12:00 AM
I have to agree with the above 2 posts i would of rushed him to the emergency vets not asking on a forum.
I really hope he's ok and it turns out to be nothing serious.
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

13-10-2010, 01:15 AM
I'm up late so suspect it's not much use but I'd be making a call to get the dog seen.

I've had horrific fitting 'running' dog experiences with a spaniel which led to a stroke.

I'm no vet but ( if it comes back) a blanket over the head to keep the dog calm and 'gentle' squirty water into the mouth can't do any harm before you get get pro help.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >