View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jfk
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-09-2011, 08:52 PM

Warning..... SCI (Seasonal Canine Illness)

Please be aware! I've just spent a few days in Suffolk on a dog holiday and now have a dog with suspected sci. The area I walked in was Rendlesham Forest and having done some investigation it is one of the previous known sites. Wanted anyone walking in or around the area to be aware of the danger.

Thanks

Jox
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-09-2011, 08:58 PM
Hope your dog recovers.

Just in case anyone else couldn't remember what it was
http://www.aht.org.uk/seasonal_illness.html
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-09-2011, 09:21 PM
Hope your dog gets better soon.

I remember Rendlesham forest well as Jamie and I got lost there when we were on holiday with Cherry and Parker about 3 years ago. We wandered around for hours trying to find the car and in the end Jamie left me by the main road with the dogs and I sat there crying whilst he kept trying to find the car.

Some nice motorist must have seen me there as someone reported me to the Police and they pulled up and found Jamie and we all were taken back to our car in the back of the police car and it took an awful long way by road so goodness knows how long we would have taken on foot!

What nice policemen they were but we felt such nuggets and normally Jamie has an excellent sense of direction too!

Rendlesham forest is where that famous UFO report happened many years ago too I think?
Jfk
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-09-2011, 09:51 PM
Thank you, she is starting to improve slowly, luckily she had antibiotics very quickly. It's a real worry as she was on an extension lead as she's partial to a chase or two and I was carrying fresh water so know she could not have eaten or drunk anything contaminated. Both other dogs are fine. Fingers crossed the cases stay few and far between.

And yes it is the UFO forest, it was my quest to find an alien in the bushes that led me to the forest and got us in this pickle. Won't make that mistake again.

Kerryowner you must have been petrified it's a huuuuuge forest!
promarc
Dogsey Senior
Male 

16-09-2011, 07:24 AM
Hmmm very interesting indeed never heard of it as im a first time dog owner, but my sammy has been ill with sickness and lethargy, he wouldnt stop being sick for 5 days and ended up on anti sickness tabs, wouldnt know if it was SCI or not but he was totally a different dog in himself, only thing he didnt have was the run's, as me and the vet was baffled to what started him being sick and he couldnt stop. He's just going back on his meat and kibbles, he was having to have chicken and rice for a week to settle his stomach
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-09-2011, 08:58 PM
So sorry to hear this. Hope your dog gets better very soon.
Jfk
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-09-2011, 11:39 PM
Originally Posted by Westie_N View Post
So sorry to hear this. Hope your dog gets better very soon.
Thankyou, she's much better now. She went downhill very suddenly and stayed down for about 24 hours but came back to normal very quickly. I've read up as much as possible and spoken to lots of people and the common suggestion seems to be the possibility of mushroom spores. There were lots in the forest especially puffballs and while I know she didn't eat any she could well have knocked one over and inhaled the spores. It was also very windy on Monday when we were in the woods. Neither of my other dogs are affected. If anyone has any opinions on this I'd be very grateful.

Promarc, I hope Sammy is better soon. Sounds like he's been a really poorly lad
Rubster
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-09-2011, 11:57 PM
Thankyou for the heads up on this. This is one of my regular haunts with my lot.
I'll make my local vet aware tomorrow too, they also have practice in Woodbridge & Rendlesham.

I hope your dog gets better soon xx
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-09-2011, 01:38 AM
Hope your dog is ok. Very worrying for you x
promarc
Dogsey Senior
Male 

18-09-2011, 09:52 AM
Thanx jfk he's alot better now he's fully on his kibble and wet food again, touch wood no sickness since but it was very worrying, but he was on anti sickness tabs not antibiotics so im thinking its not SCI, but you could tell everything about him wasnt right, energy wise eating just didnt want to do anything, or want anyone messing with him, very very worrying it was.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >