Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Florence
Almost a Veteran
Female 

10-12-2013, 10:34 AM
Originally Posted by mjfromga View Post
That is all anybody can expect. Thanks a lot, Catrin. Let me know at your earliest convenience.
Myra, I might be able to arrange something. I've send you a direct thread about it!
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-12-2013, 02:57 AM
Originally Posted by Florence View Post
Myra, I might be able to arrange something. I've send you a direct thread about it!
Thanks. You'll have to post it here most likely as only paid members can use the PM system now. Doesn't bother me. I just wanted to be able to try it without having to pay insane international shipping fees. Thanks a lot.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2013, 08:07 PM
Hi, Catrin. Hope you're doing okay. Haven't heard from you in a bit. I saw you say that you couldn't afford new leather couches to ward off Tonks' allergies.

I have allergies as well, and we avoid normal cloth couches because of it. We aren't prepared to pay leather prices for ours cats to rip to shreds, so we go with mock leather, instead.

This one is over 7 years old and it has no holes or anything. I mean it's WORN (the little holes you see in the cushions are from cat paws), but it wasn't super costly... so it's worth it.

We recently got a new couch, it's supposed to help with allergies, as well.

It's like fake velvet or something. It doesn't collect as much dust and hair as like normal microfiber or whatever couches. Both are decent options IMO if you don't want to pay insane leather prices

Nigredo loves the new one, but he isn't allowed up there now. We had a little incident where he decided the pillows were awesome toys.
Bella84
New Member!
Female 

02-01-2014, 09:58 PM
Bella is my 3 year old Lab who also has dust mite and storage mite allergies. Having tried numerous treatments she is yet again on sterioids after another flare up. Like you I have decided to try her on a raw food diet (Natures Menu) to see if this helps to improve her condition. Having read that kibble bags harbour storage mites and loads of other allergens I think it's worth a try.
My delivery turns up tomorrow so I will just have to see how she goes and if there is any improvement. Fingers crossed.
Bella84
New Member!
Female 

02-01-2014, 10:04 PM
Forgot to say, we have wooden floors throughout our downstairs with just a single rug in the sitting from. We invested in a well known brand of Hoover which has a special HPEA filter particularly helpful for asthmatics, and Bella has a hard plastic bed which I line with carpet off cuts,sometimes free, from the carpet shop. I literally cut a new piece to fit in her her bed once a month or so, or more if needed to try and cut down the possibility of a flare up.
Good luck with your doggie x
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2014, 11:15 PM
Awwww good luck with Bella's itches. Tonks is loving being in Naturediet but doesn't like her faux leather bed, it's just not snuggly enough for her, so now I'm looking to a huge piece of vet bed to go over the top when I can afford it.
She had been doing ok but the last two weeks her itchiness has gone bonkers, she's chewing her feet so much she's ended up with an infected nail bed so is now on antibiotics, antihistamines, steroids, and tramadol. We're trying to get it back under control but it's not happening yet. I got my steam cleaner for Christmas which I've used loads and once the girls are back at school and preschool I'll be going for all out cleaning madness.

Myra your sofas look great. I love the velvet one. I'm still looking out on eBay and facebay for sofas but it will be a while until we can afford one. There's quite a few bargains with sofas going for as little as £50.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2014, 11:33 PM
Yes, the sofas are better for MY allergies, since the dogs have no dust mite allergies (that I know of). The velvet one is soooo soft, too. I love it. It was more expensive than the pleather couch, but only a little bit and it's a three seater so it's all good.

I'm sorry about Tonksy, Jadey had the foot chewing when she was little, but only because she was silly... she grew out of it, but had quite a few raw paws.
Bella84
New Member!
Female 

02-01-2014, 11:43 PM
Does the steam cleaner help? That's another product I'm thinking of investing in.
I suspect Bellas latest outbreak is thanks to our Christmas tree although the vet also suggested it may be due to scented candles.
Will keep you posted about the Natures Menu diet.
Also just a quick question, how did you make the transition to the raw diet. Not sure whether to wean her onto it or just change her?
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

03-01-2014, 05:22 AM
Wendy, Bella's latest outbreak could be due to the Christmas tree. It could be due to scented candles. If she does have allergies then anything can be a trigger and set them off and it is quite possible that you will never know what they are.

Sometimes it is like banging your head against a brick wall. It does not help but is wonderful when it stops!
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

03-01-2014, 09:38 AM
Just a thought but I believe freezing kibble kills off storage mites, just put the kibble into several meal sized portions and bung it in the freezer for at least 24 hours. Also Indorex flea spray kills house dust mites too. Freezing the dogs bedding also kills them off apparently but obviously not everything will fit in the freezer

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/flea-treatmen...00ml-can-p-677
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >