View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mrstump83
New Member!
Male 

19-07-2010, 07:53 PM

How often should I leave my puppy on his own?

Hey all,

I've recently got an ESS pup called Juke, when I leave him alone during the day to do errands or general housework he crys and whines until either he falls asleep or if I come get him.

How long will he keep doing this and should I keep leaving and letting him cry.

He's ok on a night he will settle and sleep and only wake when he needs to go outside, but once he's done this all he wants to do is play and not sleep.

I hope i'm doing right with him and not start teaching him bad habits. I'm being patient but how long will this last?

Cheers guys
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-07-2010, 11:10 PM
Originally Posted by mrstump83 View Post
Hey all,

I've recently got an ESS pup called Juke, when I leave him alone during the day to do errands or general housework he crys and whines until either he falls asleep or if I come get him.

How long will he keep doing this and should I keep leaving and letting him cry.

He's ok on a night he will settle and sleep and only wake when he needs to go outside, but once he's done this all he wants to do is play and not sleep.

I hope i'm doing right with him and not start teaching him bad habits. I'm being patient but how long will this last?

Cheers guys
Hi Stu how old is your puppy? It is normal for a puppy to cry when removed from its dam and siblings, it is vulnerable to predators and crying is a way of calling for help.

I always take a new puppy upstairs with me at night and have it next to my bed in a box on a nice warm blanket or piece of vetbed, this way it goes to sleep quite quickly in the dark with the comforting sound of human breathing and the touch of a reassuring hand if necessary.
The puppy will wake and cry if it needs to go out and can quickly be taken outside to the garden to relieve itself with the minimum of fuss and returned to the box to sleep.
If your puppy tries to play ignore it.

Having the puppy with you also helps with the bonding process and gives the puppy chance to gain a little confidence before being left alone for a long period like all night. I find puppies which are not forced to be alone straight after leaving the dam don't have problems with separation, this is probably because they haven't had the chance to become fearful of being left alone so don't associate being alone with the feeling of fear.

I gradually get the puppy used to being left alone for short periods during the day usually after a meal and a play when it is ready to sleep and is relaxed. When you leave the puppy or return don't make any fuss, your coming and going should be no big deal.

Once the puppy has gained a little confidence and has gradually got used to being left it can be moved to the kitchen at night when necessary.

A number of well regarded dog people including Gwen Bailey writer and dog trainer are now saying having a puppy with you at night is the thing to do ..

Quote:
Quote:
Suddenly leaving the security of the mother and litter mates, coming to a new household and then being left totally alone at night in the dark can be very frightening for a new puppy, especially if the breeder has not taken the time to get each puppy used to being alone before they go to their new homes.
Since this can cause some sensitive puppies to be prone to separation problems later in life, my advice is to take the puppy up to the bedroom for the first few weeks, confined to a high-sided box or crate so that it can be with you, but not get too close.
Then, when the puppy is used to the house, used to being parted from its mother and litter mates, and has got used to being left alone for short periods of time, it can go down to the kitchen at night times.
This method is less traumatic for the puppy and has the added advantage that you are able to get up and take the puppy out when it wakes up in the middle of the night, thereby avoiding the puppy learning to use the kitchen floor as a toilet.

Quote from the Gwen Bailey dog Behaviour website
How long will it last? Until your puppy feels safe and has gained a little confidence. No one would expect a human baby to remain silent when left alone, puppies are no different and learn in time.
mrstump83
New Member!
Male 

22-07-2010, 07:20 PM
Many thanks for the reply.Very good advice.

He is starting to settle on his own more and more which is good, he's a quick little learner.

Its amazing how quick they develop.