View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
divinity
New Member!
Female 

11-07-2006, 10:44 PM

Potty Training Question (house-training - 8 month old doesn't ask to go out)

My 8 month old pup is still having a hard time with potty training. I take him out every two hours during the day and I make sure he goes out right before bedtime. As soon as I get up in the morning he is also let outside to do his business. The problem I seem to have is when there are accidents in the house/cage he does not whine to let me know he has to go outside. I still have him going out every two hrs because he wont let me know he has to go and I don't want him to keep having accidents. I thought about trying to put a bell on the door for him and every time I go to take him out I would ring the bell and maybe he would catch on. Is it normal for a dog not to whine or cry when they need to go out?

divinity
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

11-07-2006, 11:12 PM
Hi Divinity (welcome to Dogsey!)

Have you seen this article on housetraining?: http://www.dogsey.com/dog-articles.php?t=8974

When you are going out with your pup do you stay out long enough for him to do his business? It might be that hes enjoying his time outside with you that he totally forgets he needs to go

Rocky often does that, I let him him to go for a pee and hes too busy running around that when he comes in I say 'Have you Pee'd?' I can almost see him think "Damn I forgot to go" as he runs back out
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-07-2006, 11:13 PM
Hi Divinity it does sound as if your puppy has never really properly learnt what is expected of him. If I were you I would start from scratch as with a small puppy taking him out every hour to the same spot, then saying a particular word like 'be clean' when he is in the process 'emptying his bladder or bowels, then praise/treat when he performs.

You have an advantage in that by this age your puppy will have control of his bodily functions so you should be able to train him fairly quickly .