Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-08-2016, 06:32 PM
Originally Posted by Losos View Post
Yes it is, agree, why would any decent human kick a dog Oh I forgot about the morons who want to get money and excitment by training / abusing dogs to fight each other.

Corrected your typo, hope you don't mind
Thats fine!!
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-08-2016, 07:06 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
I just dont get you!! I remember when all that shit kicked off when Ben jumped out of our garden and pounced on next door's dog, there was a big debate about dogs on leads and other peeps keeping their dogs under control and not allowing them to rush up to say hello. I actually at the time defended those people and said i thought it was perfectly ok for a dog to approach another dog who was leashed and YOU argued with me and said no, that was bad manners! I am certainly not going to muzzle ben ... he is not a DD ... any dog that comes up to him when he is leashed is more than welcome to do so but if that dog growls at Ben then Ben will pin it to teach it manners! There will not be a mark on it but it will be wet with saliva! This is perfectly reasonable of Ben ... in human terms it is the equivalent of someone bounding up to you, warmly shaking your hand, you shake their hand back and ask them their name etc etc, but then suddenly that person throws a load of insulting 4 letter words at you!! The dog who has bounded into bens space should allow himself to be sniffed otherwise he is being exceptionally rude! A well-balanced dog should always allow another dog to give him the polite once over!
Yeah I always greet people by knocking them on their back and pinning them down. You'll come unstuck when he does it to the wrong dog or is it just small dogs he does it to, If he did it to my terrier Frank he's small but he'd have a chunk missing out of him, then it would escalate and you think I'd calmly stand there and leave you to deal with it , you're delusional. Or maybe he'd like to take Diesel on, I'd love to see you getting Diesel to release a dog that had tried to pin him down.
No dog has to tolerate anything it doesn't want to so no it doesn't have to stand there and be polite if it doesn't want to.
You need to control your dog he can't go around pinning dogs down and expect them all to accept it, train him to leave others alone.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-08-2016, 07:51 PM
Off lead dogs approaching an lead dogs is a massive no no. It puts both dogs and the on lead owner in an impossible position.

Not all dogs find it 'polite' when another dog tries to sniff their backsides for a number of reasons. It may be the dog has arthritis, HD, anal gland problems or simply doesn't like his/her backside sniffed .

Just because we believe that a dog should like something (or tolerate it) does not means that it does
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-08-2016, 07:58 PM
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Off lead dogs approaching an lead dogs is a massive no no. It puts both dogs and the on lead owner in an impossible position.

Not all dogs find it 'polite' when another dog tries to sniff their backsides for a number of reasons. It may be the dog has arthritis, HD, anal gland problems or simply doesn't like his/her backside sniffed .

Just because we believe that a dog should like something (or tolerate it) does not means that it does
If its such a no no, then people with off lead dogs should not allow their off lead dogs to come into ben's space!! We never let him off the lead unless we are 100% sure that there are no other dogs around at all in the vicinity. If peeps allow their dogs to come right into bens personal space when he is on leash, then they have to take the consequences of their dog being pinned by ben!! You cannot have your cake and eat it i'm afraid.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-08-2016, 08:02 PM
If its such a no no, then people with off lead dogs should not allow their off lead dogs to come into ben's space!! We never let him off the lead unless we are 100% sure that there are no other dogs around at all in the vicinity. If peeps allow their dogs to come right into bens personal space when he is on leash, then they have to take the consequences of their dog being pinned by ben!! You cannot have your cake and eat it i'm afraid.
Which is why I said "Off lead dogs approaching on lead dogs is a massive no no. It puts both dogs and the on lead owner in an impossible position"
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-08-2016, 08:03 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
Yeah I always greet people by knocking them on their back and pinning them down. You'll come unstuck when he does it to the wrong dog or is it just small dogs he does it to, If he did it to my terrier Frank he's small but he'd have a chunk missing out of him, then it would escalate and you think I'd calmly stand there and leave you to deal with it , you're delusional. Or maybe he'd like to take Diesel on, I'd love to see you getting Diesel to release a dog that had tried to pin him down.
No dog has to tolerate anything it doesn't want to so no it doesn't have to stand there and be polite if it doesn't want to.
You need to control your dog he can't go around pinning dogs down and expect them all to accept it, train him to leave others alone.
I never said you do!! I was making an analogy, trying to get across to you that a dog who is on a lead should not suffer you kicking him because your off lead pugs have come right up to him to say hello but then kick off because they dont like bens definition of good manners! If you dont want your gorgeous pugs ... and i say that sincerely - to be pinned by ben because of their bad manners, then dont allow them to run right up to him when he is on his lead!
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-08-2016, 08:05 PM
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Which is why I said "Off lead dogs approaching on lead dogs is a massive no no. It puts both dogs and the on lead owner in an impossible position"
Exactly ... but i interpreted from your tone thst you somehow disapproved of ben pinning another dog in such circumstances. If ive been unfair then i apologise
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

20-08-2016, 09:40 PM
I never said you do!! I was making an analogy, trying to get across to you that a dog who is on a lead should not suffer you kicking him because your off lead pugs have come right up to him to say hello but then kick off because they dont like bens definition of good manners! If you dont want your gorgeous pugs ... and i say that sincerely - to be pinned by ben because of their bad manners, then dont allow them to run right up to him when he is on his lead!
Firstly my Pugs don't approach other dogs on walks, I'm anti social I interact with my dogs not other people and their dogs. So if I saw you approaching I'd cut through the trees and avoid you, take a different route. They'd only kick off if they thought the other dog was taking liberties, they don't like their bits sniffed by strangers. I don't want them kicking off because then Diesel and Frank feel the need to defend them. Mine are trained to ignore other dogs when passing, I tell them to walk on and they do. The fact remains he has no right to pin them because they object to having their bits sniffed, end of.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

20-08-2016, 09:43 PM

You could just train him to "Leave it" it would make your life easier too but I get the impression you think your dog is teaching others manners, how when he has none of his own?
Kodiak17
New Member!
Female 

21-08-2016, 02:54 AM
Ok - so this is a typical trip to the dog park:

It begins with a handful of wind sprints across the park and back after his ball. He runs very fast, which typically results in other dogs chasing him..if they go after his ball, he gets super noisy and pushy to get them to back off. Then a trip to the water area. At this point he usually looks around to see what everyone else is doing. If there is another dog running around like crazy, he'll typically chase after them. Otherwise, he'll wander around sniffing everything. When he does chase after another dog, he'll usually end up doing this "hearding" thing, where he gets really noisy and puts his mouth on/around the dogs shoulder area as he chases them. It's seems like an alpha thing. Sometimes it will result in tripping and tumbling, because they are running so fast.
As soon as the other dog stops running or tells him enough is enough, he stops.

What do ya'll think? I feel as if that is dogs beings dogs, but what I worry about and why I question it is the way othe owners react.
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >