View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Niccie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-10-2012, 11:00 AM

Massive regression in training - Help needed.

I think I'm reaching breaking point...

I mentioned in a previous thread about Riley weeing on bin bags. After some sensible advice I moved the bags outside and it stopped for a week.

However, now he is weeing on lots of things around the house. Things completely disconnected from ferrets. For example, we bought a storage box from IKEA at the weekend which was in the hall for no more than an hour - while we were in that was wee'd on.

I was changing my bedding before and as I turned around he was weeing on the duvet. No ferrets go in the bedroom.
It's getting more and more difficult not to shout when I see him do these things. I have no idea what to do.
He's only doing it when I'm in the house, generally after walks and the backdoor is always open.

Training is going rubbish, it's almost as though he has completely regressed. He still won't take food from hand and it's slow going with ball.
We reached a point where everything was going great with clicker and we starting on touch the target and advancing to stuff he'd never done before - then suddenly it seemed like he had no interest in training and just walked away from me. Tried before/during/after walks but just no interest - blankly refuses to do anything. I thought he was enjoying training as he'd get excited when I got clicker out.
He's started pulling on lead now, which he has rarely did when he first came.
He won't listen to a word I say unless I shout with an angry tone, and then he starts shaking with his ears down - there is no middle ground with him. Or so it seems. I really hate shouting and only do it when he is pulling near a road or when he jumps out of car - something he never used to do.
The new trainer is on holiday otherwise I'd be calling her up in tears right now.

We think previously he'd been taught by screaming and hitting and trying to turn that around is proving difficult.

Off the lead on walks he is great, he's such a pleasure and has great recall will only walk a certain distance ahead. I can gently call his name and he'll come back.

In the house and on the lead, he's a nightmare. He's started growling at anyone who comes in house, where previously he'd bark but go up with his ball. The postman is having to leave stuff outside as he growls at the door and grabs the post of his hand through letterbox.
He even growled at me when I walked in the other day.

I don't know what's happened but it feels like everything is going wrong.

ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2012, 11:25 AM
Yes, I find training goes in jumps then regresses. However, I usually find going back to basics for a short while sorts it.
I frequently have to have a Zero Tolerance day with Prince, and if it`s raining I know I have to close the carpeted rooms and take Alfie up the road and back or he will widdle indoors. It gets better, but usually in spurts and setbacks.
Take him out on lead for wees. You know when he `goes`.
Try a Halti for walks. It stops the silliness.
I shut my dogs up when people come. They haven`t come to visit the dogs, after all.
Go back a few steps. Train what you know he can do, not what he can`t. If all he is reliable on is a sit, then just train that and be happy he does it.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-10-2012, 11:31 AM
To me most of it sounds like management issues, If he can't be trusted not to pee on anything and everything, don't give him access to the whole house. My dogs have never set foot in my bedroom so whether they could be trusted not to piddle on my duvet isn't an issue because they have never had the opportunity to do so.
Start over with house training rather than just leaving the back door open and hoping for the best.
If he pulls on the lead get a head collar and train him to walk to heel.
Invest in some dog gates therefore stopping his access to the whole of the house and the front door, he can't bite the postman if he can't reach the door.
It usually takes around a month for a dog to fully settle after being rehomed so perhaps his real personality is beginning to show through and he's starting to push the boundaries. A few simple rules and restrictions on his movements around the house should allow you to breathe before moving onto the next stage with his training.
Niccie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-10-2012, 05:01 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
To me most of it sounds like management issues, If he can't be trusted not to pee on anything and everything, don't give him access to the whole house.
He's been with us about 6 months now and in that time I have let him have complete access of the house. Would suddenly restricting his access to a room not be confusing for him?

I think I'd also struggle as he can open doors and would easily jump a child's gate.

When I'm out he's absolutely fine (I filmed him the other day to see if he was being sneaky and going somewhere I wouldn't find) it's just when I'm in.
Maybe he just hates me.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-10-2012, 05:19 PM
Then use dog gates which are taller and teach him not to attempt to jump them, or put locks on doors. Although I think gates work better as they don't feel so confined and try and tunnel their way out. I restrict access to certain rooms at certain times and my dogs don't get confused, I can't hoover around 7 dogs, wash the kitchen floor or clean the carpet in the lounge with them keep walking in and out all the time.
It's easy to reach breaking point if you don't take steps to limit the damage. Constantly cleaning up after your dog is no picnic so try to take steps to minimise the number of opportunities he gets to make more work for you.

Ultimately it's up to you, it's your house, your dog and you're the one having to live with it.
Niccie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-10-2012, 05:55 PM
Just had an look at dog gates, didn't realise they came in bigger sizes than child sizes - will definitely sit down later and take a proper look at them.

You are right, cleaning up all the time after any animal makes it feel like a chore rather than an addition to the family and I do not want to feel like that.

I just wish I could read his mind and try and find out why he's going inside.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2012, 06:08 PM
Dogs don't have grudges and you can't take his behaviour personally. You have a difficult rescue dog with issues. He will take a long time to trust you.
He doesn't hate you, he just doesn't know you yet, it can take years before an abused dog trusts you but honestly it is SO worth the tears and the frustrations.
I;d probably teach him to be happy in a large crate so that I could pop him in there with a stuffed kong if need be.
The hand feeding is an interesting dilemma. I stopped hand feedingour feral dog and he came round on his own. However I hadn't got any expectations, if he growled and barked at me I didn't take it personally, mainly because I had other dogs and he was extra so not the entire focus of my attention. I still think I'd go with the hand feeding everything, nothing in his bowl but some stuff in kongs etc.
He probably owuldn't jump a dog gate---although I have had dogs who do. Asda sell them
Teach him to wear a muzzle and be comfy in it, put treats in it to get him used to it and if you use the plastic covered lurcher ones form countrymun they should fit and you can treat him through them. That way you will feel safe when you are out with him.
You can tell people that it is to stop him eating rubbish.

Cheer up, you are doing a great job with a damaged and insecure dog.

rune
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

17-10-2012, 06:36 PM
You could also try a post box outside so the postman doesn't have to put letters through the door.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2012, 08:39 PM
To be honest, if you are struggling (and we all struggle at times, right?) I'd see if I could get a reputable and good behaviour advisor in to see you

Following a tailored programme might help a lot, also fresh eyes etc actually seeing the environment etc

Just my view but I think it might be easier in the long run

Good luck

Wys
x
Niccie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-10-2012, 02:03 PM
Thank you for your responses, especially Rune! I'd go mental without this forum, trying to talk to friends and family about Riley isn't productive generally.

I may have been a tad emotional claiming my dog hates me, I don't always personify animals I swear!

We have been doing one-to-one training once a week but I had a 'shop around' before and have someone coming for an assessment on Tuesday - I think this might lead us down a more productive path, or at the very least I hope.

I managed to catch the postman this morning and I apologized for any 'distress' - I told him at the weekend we would get a box for outside or a letter box guard.

I also left Riley in the kitchen with his bed, some new cushions he could put in or out, every shape and size kong the pet shop sold filled with a variety of meats.

I'm feeling very positive and excited for Tuesday!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >