Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
valeriehowarth
New Member!
Female 

22-08-2011, 06:25 AM

Puppy food

is Chappie tinned and dried food suitable for a puppy as mine seems to enjoy it more than her own puppy food
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-08-2011, 07:58 AM
what are puppy food are you feeding?
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-08-2011, 08:10 AM
How old is your puppy?
Can't you keep the Chappie away from the pup until it is old enough for adult food?
Do Chappie do a puppy food that you coud try?

If Pup is managing it and has not suffered any ill effects then maybe it is ok. Someone will tell us in a minute.
kate_7590
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-08-2011, 10:17 AM
How old is the puppy?
I know alot of people dont even feed puppy food, me included for my last 2 pups.
WheatenDaneMom
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-08-2011, 11:15 AM
Depending on the breed... some I don't feed puppy food to. Our Dane got LG Breed Joint Control (puppy) and our Wheaten gets Lamb & Rice (Puppies - For potential Allergies) but our Goldens and Beagles went straight to high energy, high protein formula.
valeriehowarth
New Member!
Female 

22-08-2011, 11:44 AM
she's a border collie puppy and I have had her on a mixture of puppy foods. Also bought the small cartons of puppy milk to give her a better start (hopefully) for her calcium. She isn't a fussy eater at all but I want to make sure she gets all the goodness she needs so I generally feed her dry puppy food with a bit of tinned chappie. Incidentally, she is now 9 and half weeks and growing fast.
Fred&Mya'smum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-08-2011, 12:36 PM
chappie tinned will be fine to mix in with the dry puppy food
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-08-2011, 12:40 PM
Originally Posted by valeriehowarth View Post
she's a border collie puppy and I have had her on a mixture of puppy foods. Also bought the small cartons of puppy milk to give her a better start (hopefully) for her calcium. She isn't a fussy eater at all but I want to make sure she gets all the goodness she needs so I generally feed her dry puppy food with a bit of tinned chappie. Incidentally, she is now 9 and half weeks and growing fast.
No mammal bar humans consume milk post weaning and it is not necessary.

A good quality complete dog food will contain the nutrients needes for good growth, EXTRA calcium can cause far more problems with bone disorders etc.

A complete food, is just that, and adding extras to is at best a waste of money and worst potentially problematic as you are unbalancing a scientifically produced product.

Personally I would never feed Chappie but millions or dogs do very well on it. I feed raw but if I fed complete then I would feed Orijen which is grain free.

If I was not bothered about that then Burns, Arden Grange, JWB are good brands for complete dry foods.