View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
imjanine
New Member!
Female 

19-12-2012, 04:23 AM

My elder dog keeps us up at night...help!

We are exhausted and not sure we are doing what is best for our 14 year old bearded collie, Daisy. She has senility and we have her on selegiline, 5 mg, 2 pills in am. we also have been using Liquid nutricalm at night to help her sleep, and Metacam at night for arthritis pain. This combo worked good for about 3 months, then all of a sudden it stopped working and she wakes up around 1:00 AM and paces, pants, wanders, rakes the carpet, until 5:00 AM when it is time for us to get ready for work, and then she sleeps. Does anybody have any advice on how to help her sleep (and us!)? Thanks!
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-12-2012, 01:44 PM
Personally I'd go back to the vet and see if a change of medication would help. I used to have a Parson Russell with CCD and it's no fun for dog or owner.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-12-2012, 01:53 PM
Hello Janine I would go back to your vet , maybe the dose needs adjusting.

I too had a dog with Canine Cognitive Dysfunction and got used to her odd little ways including pacing my bedroom in the night . I used to get up and make a cup of tea then settle her back in her bed with a cuddle.
montymuffin
Dogsey Junior
Male 

19-12-2012, 02:01 PM
Hello there sorry to hear about Daisy, my Lhasa Monty had all the symptoms Daisy does, he would pant, pace the floor, vibrate and would keep me awake. I got used to his ways and was up down most of the night and was exhausted going to work the next day.
We had metacam towards the end but this caused other complications so would suggest that you return to the vet for advice.
One thing that calmed Monty was night lights we had some night lights plugged in near to where he slept this seemed to help him along with lots of cuddles and reassurance.
I lost Monty two weeks ago and I have not yet returned to sleeping through!
Wishing you and Daisy all the very best take care xxxxx
Ollies mum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-12-2012, 03:20 PM
Hi Janine
Over 2 yrs ago we were in the same situation with our dog Buster.
He would be up around 1 a.m and pace for hours.
We ended up taking turns to get up with him and he would pace for 5 hrs at a time.
It was so distressing for him and for us and were both exhausted.

Having tried Vivitonin which didnt help I went on line like you asking for advice as we were at the stage where we thought that we would have to have him P.T.S as he was so distressed and confused
Several people suggested trying Aktivait tablets ,I was sceptical as Aktivait isnt a medication but a food supplement

But they helped SO MUCH ,he was more settled ,less confused and he didnt pace which was so comforting to us.

Having tried them for 2 weeks from the vet we ordered on line from Viovet -excellent service.

We had Buster for nearly three years after the onset of his dementia and lost him on October 19 th this year.

Please P.M me if I can help in any way as I know how you feel -watching Buster when he was at his worst broke my heart.
Good luck and hugs to Daisy
Maureen
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2012, 03:40 PM
Originally Posted by Ollies mum View Post
Several people suggested trying Aktivait tablets ,I was sceptical as Aktivait isnt a medication but a food supplement

But they helped SO MUCH ,he was more settled ,less confused and he didnt pace which was so comforting to us.

Having tried them for 2 weeks from the vet we ordered on line from Viovet -excellent service.
Was just going to suggest this, never used it myself but heard good things about it. Also maybe try Adaptil?
imjanine
New Member!
Female 

19-12-2012, 04:50 PM
Originally Posted by Ollies mum View Post
Hi Janine
Over 2 yrs ago we were in the same situation with our dog Buster.
He would be up around 1 a.m and pace for hours.
We ended up taking turns to get up with him and he would pace for 5 hrs at a time.
It was so distressing for him and for us and were both exhausted.

Having tried Vivitonin which didnt help I went on line like you asking for advice as we were at the stage where we thought that we would have to have him P.T.S as he was so distressed and confused

We had Buster for nearly three years after the onset of his dementia and lost him on October 19 th this year.

Please P.M me if I can help in any way as I know how you feel -watching Buster when he was at his worst broke my heart.
Good luck and hugs to Daisy
Maureen
Thanks so much Maureen! I hadn't ever heard of Aktivait. I have an apt with vet on Friday and will discuss. I really appreciate everyone's advice! Janine
imjanine
New Member!
Female 

19-12-2012, 05:35 PM
Originally Posted by cava14una View Post
Was just going to suggest this, never used it myself but heard good things about it. Also maybe try Adaptil?
Thanks so much for the Adaptil information! I hadn't heard of this med either. I will discuss with vet on Friday when I take Daisy in.
~Janine
montymuffin
Dogsey Junior
Male 

19-12-2012, 05:42 PM
Dear ollies mum, I wish I was a member if the site before I lost monty who also had dementia at one point I thought I was going mad. I miss my dog also and thought your words at are so meaningful the house is so empty hopefully monty has found buster he sounds amazing
Run free take care xxxxx
Ollies mum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-12-2012, 06:16 PM
Phil
Buster was amazing-very gentle and loving
He reminded us of Santas Little helper in the Simpsons-long gangly legs ,probably not much up top (as we tried for 15 yrs to teach him to sit-with no success)

We adopted him and his "sister" Lulu in Feb,1997 from the rescue me and O.H were volunteers at,followed by 2 kittens in the May.
All 4 were 3 mths old and it was BEDLAM at first.Buster became the "dad"to the kittens and 1 of them, Dougal ,used to follow him round and stand on his hind legs to put his paws round Busters neck.

We lost Lulu VERY VERY suddenly in Jan last year.
She died lying with her head on my knee-hadnt been ill,just a bit out of sorts late that night and we were taking her to the vets the following morning .
Buster doted on her ,cried and whined when she wasnt there,looking everywhere for her.

He was there when she died but he didnt even notice-because of the dementia-it broke my heart but was probably for the best as he would have pined so much for her.

Buster used to have to have his head or paws on me any time he sat or lay down-usually snuggled up to me on the couch.When the dementia came he didnt like cuddles -he would tolerate my arms round him for a minute or two-that was all.

Yet the day the vet came to put him to sleep he sat and let me stroke him, he lay against me while I talked to him ,that was a great comfort to me.
I told him that Lulu and Dougal were waiting for him at Rainbow Bridge and that we loved him so much.
He left so very peacefully .

For the first time in 42 years we have no dog in the house to welcome us,to trip us up ,to stare with soulful eyes when they want something we are eating and its awful.
I know that Buster will have welcomed your Monty and that they are both really still with us as what we shared will never die
Take care
Love and big hugs to all of you who are facing losing a pet
Maureen