Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Fetchem.com
New Member!
Male 

06-07-2009, 09:25 PM

Need help in deciding what kind of dog to get

Right now I'm trying to figure out which dog to get. The choices are between a Pug, a Miniature Schnauzer, and a Scottish Terrier. What are your thoughts?
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2009, 09:30 PM
We'll need to know more than that to offer any help, or you'll just get the pros and cons of each breed, which you can look up online anyway... ...

What sort of home do you have, kids? Garden?, what lifestyle? Active? Sedate?

Do you want a dog to play ball with, be a companion, jog with, do agility?
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2009, 09:40 PM
Originally Posted by magpye View Post
We'll need to know more than that to offer any help, or you'll just get the pros and cons of each breed, which you can look up online anyway... ...

What sort of home do you have, kids? Garden?, what lifestyle? Active? Sedate?

Do you want a dog to play ball with, be a companion, jog with, do agility?
I agree...more info needed. All breeds have their pros and cons.

I do like Scotties though.
Fetchem.com
New Member!
Male 

06-07-2009, 09:47 PM
That's the thing I have researched a lot about these dogs thus far. I like the laziness quality of pugs and they have a great personality. Yet I am skeptical about the "yappiness" of the Schnauzer. I appreciate the Scottish Terrier's upbeat and strong personality, but I also want it to be able to cuddle and be next to me when I'm watching TV. I spend a majority of my time in doors if that helps any. I Currently I live at my parents house, I want a dog that will cause the least "trouble" for the rest of my family before I move out.
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2009, 10:28 PM
Pugs are better suited to be lap dogs as it is what they were bred for. They have a generally bubbly personality and very people oriented, so are likely to be less 'trouble'. Though obviously they also have some health and grooming issues that you would need to be aware of and maintain. Those cute wrinkles and pug features come at a price and they need to be kept clean and moisturised.

Terriers have more drive and personality, which if you want that would be fantastic, but they need to be challenged and trained to get the best out of them and prevent all that enthusiasm turning into negative behaviours.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-07-2009, 06:58 AM
I do doggy day care for my friends pug and laziness is not something I have ever noticed with her, she's as mad as a hatter, walks as far as the rest of the dogs on walks, and is generally up for anything. No more of a lap dog than my Dobies or staffy to be honest.
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2009, 11:14 AM
The "laziness" thing concerns me if you are considering a pug. Yes they were bred as companion dogs (NOT lap dogs, i hate when people call them that!!) and yes they are small etc etc etc but they still need a good daily walk just like any other dog. You wouldnt not walk a husky/lab/great dane, and the same applies for pugs. If they dont get plenty of exercise they become fat and then you will get breathing problems.

One of the problems (or positives if you look at it the way i do!) of pugs is that they are completely "velcro dogs". Wherever i am my pugs are. They are under my feet at all times, following me around the house. I cant even go into the bathroom without them as they will dig and bark at the door! If im in the house, they need to be with me. I dont find it a problem. I love my pugs and i am more than happy to have them with me. But i know that it is often a reason for people giving up pugs. Sounds ridiculous, but if you arent the sort of person who wants your dog with you at all times i would think it would drive you mad.

The health problems... Well yes, there are problems with the breed. But no more than any other breed. The breathing problems i tend to think are exaggerated. If you have a FAT pug, you have a pug with breathing problems. 99% of the pugs i see wheezing around the showring are ones that are obese. I keep mine as fit as possible and none of them have any breathing issues. If you do go for a pug you need to be careful about picking a breeder. Hemivertebra is an issue in the breed. Its a spinal deformity which affects dogs with the kinked tail. If you imagine the kink in the tail to make it curl over the back, its basically the dog having that halfway along its spine. It is not a nice thing to deal with and can very often leave them paralysed. I have one with it - Delilah. If you do a search you will find some threads about it. You want to go to a breeder who xrays their breeding dogs. A lot of people argue that the xrays prove nothing as it is genetic (apparently, but i dont know if that has been proven), but as far as im concerned, it proves that the dog your breeding from doesnt have it and that is a major step in the right direction until a DNA test or something is made.

The wrinkles do need cleaning as was mentioned. It takes all of 2 mins to do it! I just use a bit of dry kitchen towel. If you do it regularly then the nose wrinkle shouldnt get dirty. Generally pugs are very low maintenance grooming wise

Pugs do have fantastic personalities. They are such sweet, happy little people. They should never have a bad temperment! I dont think i've ever met a pug that didnt just adore people. They love kids - they were originally kept as childrens pets/entertainment by the chinese aristocracy. My neighbours have 6 young kids, all under the age of 12 and my pugs just adore playing with them.

They're not yappy, mine will have a bark if i shut them out of a room, but only for a minute or so then they will go find somewhere to sleep. I suppose some may be more prone to barking than others like any breed though.

They are very unlikely to fetch sticks or go swimming! I have one (Gracie) who does. She thinks she's a labrador. She will even fetch dummies from the river But that is very unusual. Delilah my other girl will run after a stick, sniff it, then run back to me They're funny little people!

So, although i absolutely love pugs, i dont tend to recommend them to everyone. If you think they are lazy then i would suggest you do much more reading up on them, or go to some shows and meet some. They are some of the busiest little dogs you could meet