Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Anne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-02-2006, 04:22 PM

Bran, Helps with Anal Gland Probs

Quite a few years ago I rehomed a Papillion (Rosie). She was a sad little girl of 10 years. Among other things she had a problem with her Anal Glands. Quite common I know but not nice for her. I happened to go to a really nice vet and he told me to give her Bran. One Teaspoon every day sprinkled on her food. I did and it cleared up (the anal gland problem). When Rosie passed away I got Molly as a pup and when she was about 9 months old she started with the same problem. So I gave her the teaspoon of bran each day for 15 years and she never had the problem again. My Yorkie (Poppy) was rehomed and she was about 9 when we got her. Straight on the bran and she lived to 14ish. With no problems on the above issue. I buy it at the Supermarket, it's with the breakfst cereals, a brown Bag, not a box. Just mix it in with the food and it cant be seen or tasted.
Thought I would mention it as I have seen one or two posts mentioning the problem.
Regards
AnneXX
minky
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2006, 04:24 PM
Thanks Anne! I think I'll invest in a bag for Danny Bear
Anne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-02-2006, 04:29 PM
Hi Jules, Danny Bear won't even know he is on it, but I have recommended it to a number of people and had no complaints. All my dogs have been free of that problem since putting them on it.
I hope it works with Danny Bear.
AnneXX
minky
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2006, 04:32 PM
Thanks Anne.
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2006, 05:52 PM
Originally Posted by Anne
Quite a few years ago I rehomed a Papillion (Rosie). She was a sad little girl of 10 years. Among other things she had a problem with her Anal Glands. Quite common I know but not nice for her. I happened to go to a really nice vet and he told me to give her Bran. One Teaspoon every day sprinkled on her food. I did and it cleared up (the anal gland problem). When Rosie passed away I got Molly as a pup and when she was about 9 months old she started with the same problem. So I gave her the teaspoon of bran each day for 15 years and she never had the problem again. My Yorkie (Poppy) was rehomed and she was about 9 when we got her. Straight on the bran and she lived to 14ish. With no problems on the above issue. I buy it at the Supermarket, it's with the breakfst cereals, a brown Bag, not a box. Just mix it in with the food and it cant be seen or tasted.
Thought I would mention it as I have seen one or two posts mentioning the problem.
Regards
AnneXX

Thanks Anne for that Our Bichon has terrible trouble with his anal glands and has to have them emptied every couple of months or so, so this will be something I am definitely going to try. So its just an ordinary bag of bran? We shop at Tesco - do you think they might have it?
Radar Ears
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-02-2006, 06:08 PM
Hi Foxy,

Do you remember November 2004 when I was in a dreadful panic about Mick and that stupid young fresh vet that made me think that I was going to lose him?

You and the others re-assured me and Bluebell reminded me about the porridge, which has the bran it in.

I give Mick porridge every morning for his breakfast, I make it fresh each day.

I go to the cash and carry and get a big box of huge packets of Mornflakes, dole out 50 grm, mix with 300 ml cold water, put in the microwave for about 2/3 minutes, give it a good stir, then give it another 2/3 minutes.

Then I must admit, I put the tiniest drop of milk in it, just to mix it up a bit, only about a tablespoonful. I know you're not supposed to, but a little bit won't hurt.

He does wonders on it, because although I still have to have his anal glands emptied from time to time, that dreaded rectal polyp seems (Please God) to be keeping at bay.

We go for his 2 monthly check up this month, when we last went, Alastair told me that it had started to spread a bit, but Mick is still pooping ok, not straining and there is certainly no blood in it.

At the time November 2004, when I asked Alastair how long did he think that I would have Mick, he said that he hoped for at least another 2 years, well a year has gone by and Mick seems fine in himself, so once I get over the milestone of March 10th (his 12th birthday) really, I suppose everything else is a bonus with a Labrador.

As the polyp has not got that much bigger in a year, perhaps we're being very lucky, and it will only progress slowly, as it has been.

Let us know how Benji does on the bran, won't you.

Regards
Jill
Anne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-02-2006, 06:15 PM
Hi Foxy, I do my shopping at Tesco and Asda, Both sell the bran. It is just in a see through packet at the end of the Breakfast Cereals, looks a bit 'almost like powder' but it is fine flakes, and must be tasteless as I have never had a dog refuse it. It acts as roughage, and helps with the digestion.
Good Luck.
Best Wishes,
AnneXXX
P.S. It doesn't give them the trots, just give a teaspoonful, sprinkled on the food and mix in.
Miss Potter
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2006, 12:28 PM
Poor old Buggles is having anal gland trouble!Am off to vets this afternoon.
I might try that bran.
Is 1 teaspoon the right dose for a Pug? He is on Burns food and has firm poops, but is still having trouble
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2006, 12:53 PM
Whilst we're on the subject another good tip for keeping glands clean is raw carrots as a treat, they clean them out as they come out the other end coz they don't get digested, just stay all lumpy!
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

20-07-2006, 01:57 PM
Thanks for that Anne I have taken note
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >