Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2008, 09:33 AM

Wormer advice. Bad reaction.

I have just had a complete mess to clear up after giving Fudge her wormer yesterday.

When she was a puppy she was given Drontal but had explosive belly syndrome afterwards. I was advised after that to try Panacur . I have used this every 6 months since then. Normally Fudge has a little upset tum but nothing major when she is wormed. This mornings events were horrendous.......

Does anyone have any advice on other wormers. She does tend to have delicate tum .

She is a collie cross (for those who don`t know her) with extremeley long hair so cleaning her up is no small job.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2008, 09:36 AM
The only other one is milbemax but as she clearly has a good % of collie in her I would seek your vets advice on that. You could try Drontal again as she is older and it may well not have the same effect.
Alternatively I'd try giving a reduced dose, such as that for puppies, over 3 days and see if that works.
Becky
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2008, 09:41 AM
Or you could try advocate it mightnot upset er belly to hard.
One of my boy's has a bad belly when it comes to worming, but he is able to be done with this no bother.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2008, 09:50 AM
Just hada thought! There are injectible wormers so maybe discuss this option with your vet?
Becky
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

21-03-2008, 09:59 AM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
Just hada thought! There are injectible wormers so maybe discuss this option with your vet?
Becky
That's what I was going to say.

It's not uncommon for them to have dodgy guts after being wormed.
Jules1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2008, 10:00 AM
I give mine Drontal.
Blue was really sick after his last week. Fenn & Skye was in the vets for their annual booster & KC vac so i asked the nurse what i should use.
She advised milbemax. Drontal can upset a dogs stomach. She said you have to give them a substantial meal to keep it down. I will try this next time they are wormed.
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2008, 10:09 AM
She was wormed after her normal meal, she managed to keep it down it just came out the other end BIG time. I will speak to the vet about it next time we go. I am of course assuming it was the wormer rather than another cause. What reaction time for dire rear from a wormer would you expect?
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2008, 10:12 AM
Our vet gave Cassie Milbemax as a pup. Have a word with your vet and see what they say. Hope she feels better soon. xx
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2008, 10:14 AM
She is oblivious to it all, she is running round the garden in the sun and trying (as per normal) to round the rabbits up in their run.She looks nice and clean and fluffy so hopefully she will now stay that way.
dan
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-03-2008, 04:26 PM
Hi there fudgely - I too use milbemax wormer for murph and wills but I have used 'Advocate' which is an all rounder for fleas and all other parasites including a variety of worms! This could be the answer to your mucky problem. Good luck. x
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >