Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2010, 05:56 PM

Pork?

Can you safely feed this to the dogs, I used to feed pork chunks or pork ribs, but I read it was not suitable for dogs? As I wont feed raw rabbit, I like them to have a varied diet and am hoping this could include pork again, obviously I would freeze first.
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2010, 06:02 PM
I feed mine pork without any problems and always have done but it's always human grade. They say it causes upset tums in alot of dogs but my lot have always been fine.

Why wont you feed raw rabbit?
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2010, 06:10 PM
I feed raw pork when I can get a good price and have had no bother.

I assume the rabbit is because of parasites if it's wild rabbit
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2010, 06:11 PM
No problems with pork here either. I believe it may have had a risk of carrying tapeworm or another bug in the past, but modern farming practices have eliminated that. I've also heard they can't digest it, but I can assure you they do! Quite a few raw feeders give their dogs pigs' trotters and various pork bones. (Leg bones can be a bit splintery though, same as with lamb).
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2010, 06:22 PM
The wild rabbits I feed are gutted and then frozen for a good while. You can see the fleas crawling on them though!
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2010, 07:24 PM
I won't feed rabbit as I keep rabbits and would feel awful feeding a carcass whilst my rabbits are around, I know I'm daft.... I do feed cooked rabbit naturediet, as it is in a tray and not whole.
I always fed human grade pork chunks and ribs, frozen first... maybe I will try them again...