Our sister sites
Our sister sites
santana
New Member!
Female 

08-07-2011, 05:19 PM

What is the best dog food for my dog?

Hi

Am trying to find the best dog food money can buy for my dog, I have a cross breed yorkshire terrier/maltese, that was abandoned to me on the streets of spain. She is now nearly 2 years old and is the love of my life. I really dont care about the price, i just want to be sure she is fed the best dog food I can give her. I have previously fed her Origen, which is 80% protein, but now I am a little worried as i have read that feeding a high level of protein to a dog is not good for them? So I am trying to find another good quality dog food. I also feed her applaws canned meat as treat.. can anyone give me any suggestions?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2011, 05:36 PM
Originally Posted by santana View Post
Hi

Am trying to find the best dog food money can buy for my dog, I have a cross breed yorkshire terrier/maltese, that was abandoned to me on the streets of spain. She is now nearly 2 years old and is the love of my life. I really dont care about the price, i just want to be sure she is fed the best dog food I can give her. I have previously fed her Origen, which is 80% protein, but now I am a little worried as i have read that feeding a high level of protein to a dog is not good for them? So I am trying to find another good quality dog food. I also feed her applaws canned meat as treat.. can anyone give me any suggestions?
What have you read that makes you think that a high level of protein is not good for a dog?

And, what do you think is considered high, low or just right (as Goldilocks would say)
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2011, 05:54 PM
Lovely that you adore her so much She is a lucky girl

I'm certainly no expert but for me kibble is always kibble - unless it's one of the few that are cooked in the oven or cold pressed. All the other kibbles are cooked via extrusion, i.e. at a very high heat. This kills many of the nutrients.

So if money is no object, how about a good wet food like Nature's Harvest?

Or there is a food called Ziwipeak which I think is freeze dried or something and which I've read good reviews of.
santana
New Member!
Female 

08-07-2011, 07:55 PM
thanks for your replies, I am always researching the internet looking for that no.1 dog food, and during my research I came across a few forums that said feeding your dog a high protein diet was not good for them, which has slightly worried me and more than anything confused the hell out of me !
I have seen Natures Harvest for sale but havent purchased it as it comes in such a large container and my dog is tiny.. am also worried that feeding Ella a wet dog food will rot her teeth?, (although I do clean her teeth every day).
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2011, 08:07 PM
Originally Posted by santana View Post
thanks for your replies, I am always researching the internet looking for that no.1 dog food, and during my research I came across a few forums that said feeding your dog a high protein diet was not good for them, which has slightly worried me and more than anything confused the hell out of me !
I have seen Natures Harvest for sale but havent purchased it as it comes in such a large container and my dog is tiny.. am also worried that feeding Ella a wet dog food will rot her teeth?, (although I do clean her teeth every day).
There is nothing wrong with high protein for dogs.

The thing about Nature's Harvest (and it is my vacuum packed food of preference) is that you can open it, and place the remainder in a tupperware container and keep it in the fridge.

Wet food does not rot teeth. Failure to keep dogs teeth clean rots them.
katygeorge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2011, 08:29 PM
have you thought about royal canin. they do size specific or breed specific so you could go mini adult, yorkshire terrier or maltese. I personally think of it as a great food, only my dog is allergic to it - but shes allergic to most things
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2011, 09:28 PM
I think if I had a small dog instead of my 2 medium-sized dogs, I would feed it "Lily's Kitchen" dog food. They do kibble and wet food in tins/small trays and don't charge psotage if you spend over £20 I think.

I ordered some of their kibble and wet food for my 2 for a Christmas treat and they really loved it and it has good ingredients with no rubbish stuff. Would recommend this.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2011, 09:43 PM
Originally Posted by katygeorge View Post
have you thought about royal canin. they do size specific or breed specific so you could go mini adult, yorkshire terrier or maltese. I personally think of it as a great food, only my dog is allergic to it - but shes allergic to most things
Royal Canin really isn't that good. My vet kept trying to get me to switch to it despite the fact that every single type I've looked at has either wheat or maize in it. I have to feed wheat and maize free due to allergies.

I personally don't think there is any one best food. There are certainly foods that are better than others but each dog is different and what is best for one isn't necessarily best for another. Orijen is one of the best foods out there as far as I can tell. I certainly wouldn't be concerned about feeding it if I could get it and my dog was doing well.
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2011, 10:13 PM
Originally Posted by Kerryowner View Post
I think if I had a small dog instead of my 2 medium-sized dogs, I would feed it "Lily's Kitchen" dog food. They do kibble and wet food in tins/small trays and don't charge psotage if you spend over £20 I think.

I ordered some of their kibble and wet food for my 2 for a Christmas treat and they really loved it and it has good ingredients with no rubbish stuff. Would recommend this.

Fab post. I think the Lilly's Kitchen wet food looks really good. If I could afford it I would definitely be ordering some!
santana
New Member!
Female 

09-07-2011, 09:27 PM
thanks for all your replies and advise .. I have decided to stick to what seems to work best and gone and purchased a big bag of orijen today 7.5 kilos for £31 which i think is not bad for price..I swopped her dog food 2 weeks ago to pro plan which am really not impressed with, Although she seems to really enjoy it, her poo's have gone huge and far to soft and her coat has turned slightly dull so its back to orijen for me..I will also try the lilly's kitchen when i can locate a store that sells it ! thanks
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >