Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-06-2011, 09:15 AM

Raw feeding - without the bones???

I recently switched Dexter to a totally raw diet. The slight problem is that he does not seem to like the bones that much...

He'll eat the meat from them but then leaves them. Also, when he does spend more time gnawing on the bones, he then tends to throw up afterwards....

I don't/won't give him anything as small as chicken wings as he eats so quickly, so am a bit worried.

Is it possible to do a raw diet without the bones??? I'm still a total novice with this but I get the feeling this would not be great??

Any guidance very welcome, thank you
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-06-2011, 10:57 AM
I would always prefer to have bones in the diet, but if he won't eat them then you might not have a great choice... unless you got them ground up in mince... He will need to have a way to get calcium, you could give things like yoghurt, cheese and I'm sure i read somewhere that sardines have quite high calcium. Not sure the best way to get the right amount of calcium though without feeding bones...

Could you not hold the chicken wings to begin with, and see how he gets on? Jake can be a fast eater but he is great with chicken wings, carcasses etc.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-06-2011, 11:08 AM
My lot don`t get bones because Shamus grabs them and guards them. And there was the incident where my son found one hidden under his pillow.
They get mince, plus chicken wings, poultry necks, hearts, liver and chicken portions mostly. They seem fine on it.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-06-2011, 11:12 AM
....are u overfeeding him? he may not be that hungry.

if Tupac has no probs with wings(hes a gannet!)im sure Dex would be...i know how nervous i was a first tho
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

12-06-2011, 11:23 AM
You can always bash the chicken wings with a small hammer or rolling pin.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-06-2011, 11:29 AM
Harvey would swallow chicken wings whole & throw them back up. Simple solution - hold them. Keep it round to side of tbe mouth & say "gently" or whatever key word you want to use so that he eats politely from your hand.

Wings, legs etc, i hold them all - greedy rascal never learned not to just gulp them down

If its marrow bones, scoop Marrow out first with spoon, some dogs find marrow harder to digest. Bones are good for teeth & can help with anal gland probs
rueben
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-06-2011, 11:58 AM
Uncooked chicken bones are soft and chicken backs are larger and easy to digest. Throwing up bone particles is because too much hard bone has been ingested making it difficult to digest. Gnawing on a hard bone is satisfying for a dog and good for teeth and jaws. You could try cutting the time down spent with a hard bone so less bone is consumed this will make it easier on the digestion. I only give 10 or 15 mins. for a recreational bone(bare bone) as strong jaws can devour bone fairly quickly. If you want to cut back on bone you still need to give calcium. Ground eggshells are pure calcium. 1 level teaspoon ground eggshell to each 1lb of meat.
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-06-2011, 12:38 PM
You can get minces, usually chicken mince, that has ground bone in them so he gets the nutritional calcium.

I'd advise trying him on chicken carcasses if you are worried wings are too small. Chicken bones are highly digestible
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-06-2011, 12:40 PM
Originally Posted by Moon's Mum View Post
You can get minces, usually chicken mince, that has ground bone in them so he gets the nutritional calcium.

I'd advise trying him on chicken carcasses if you are worried wings are too small. Chicken bones are highly digestible

Thanks, I will try and order a chicken carcass
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-06-2011, 12:41 PM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
I would always prefer to have bones in the diet, but if he won't eat them then you might not have a great choice... unless you got them ground up in mince... He will need to have a way to get calcium, you could give things like yoghurt, cheese and I'm sure i read somewhere that sardines have quite high calcium. Not sure the best way to get the right amount of calcium though without feeding bones...

Could you not hold the chicken wings to begin with, and see how he gets on? Jake can be a fast eater but he is great with chicken wings, carcasses etc.

Thanks for that, it's encouraging, as Dex already gets sardines and small bits of cheese for training treats. I will start giving him some yoghurt also!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >