Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kobebear
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-07-2009, 03:17 PM

Overweight

Took My dog Kobe to the vets the other week as he had a swollen ankle he had twisted it playing.

The vet says he was overweight he weighs 36kg and would like to see him around 29kg. He is 8 years old and a doberman x beagle.

The Vet suggested Purina Light Food for him and it would help slim him down. My local pet shop does not sell this food but has James Wellbeloved food, would this be ok to give him.

He gets plenty of exercise so his not fat due to lack of exercise think its just middle age.
tiggletoggs
New Member!
Female 

01-07-2009, 09:17 PM
You don't have to switch to a "lite" food, but you might want to since it means you won't have to cut back quite as much on the amount you feed your dog. (Hey, if it was easy for us to deny our dogs we wouldn't be in this fix in the first place.) Regardless, he'll be eating less, so help him feel satisfied by adding low-calorie, high-fiber foods to his bowl. These can include fresh steamed green beans, low-sodium canned green beans, and plain canned pumpkin. Your dog will still feel as if he's getting a lot of food; he just won't be taking in as many calories.
Lene
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-07-2009, 06:24 AM
As we and our dogs get older we don't need as many calories as previous, as our metabolism slows down and we're not quite as active...

An adult dog should be fed around 2% of his ideal weight... so if his ideal weight is 25kg he should be fed 500 grams of food per day...
Harry25
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-07-2009, 06:59 AM
Poppy's a tad overweight, I've recently switched her to Burns High Oats.
hectorsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2009, 09:22 AM
i would cut his normal food by 1/3 and add cooked veg avoiding any beans (these cause wind!) the veg fills the dog without adding calories.

upping the exercise will also help with weight loss.
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

06-07-2009, 04:04 AM
Any light food would help, but so would just less of what you have been feeding.

Since the calories per gram vary widely from food to food, I can't see how anybody can make a flat statement a dog need 500 grams of food.
Hammer
Dogsey Senior
Male 

16-07-2009, 10:24 PM
I've had a similar problem with my Benson since he developed his bad spine.

He now gets 150g of JWB lite kibble, a pouch of JWB wet and lots of boiled veg and some brown rice...it fills him up but keeps the calories well down.