Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2010, 09:35 AM

What to feed this puppy? JWB not suiting her

When I first got Bubble she had a urine infection and diarrhoea.

We assumed that the diarrhoea was a result of being moved around and her first owners returning her to the breeder without the food she had been fed on, so her diet had changed.

However, she's still passing very loose stools - not always runny, but very soft. And lots!

If I had the freezer space I would attempt a raw diet but unfortunately I don't! I know raw diet can help with issues like this, but it's really not suitable for us. I have no storage for the food and she will be accompanying me to places so it would be much more suitable to have her on a complete kibble.

I know Nature Diet is recommended but my other two eat dry food and are really good on it (wet doesn't seem to suit them) so I don't want to feed her meat and them end up wanting it!

Any ideas what dry kibble might be more suitable for her than James Wellbeloved puppy? She's 15 weeks. Takara was on Proplan as a puppy so I have considered that.
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2010, 10:00 AM
I have Harley on Arden Grange mixed with some Naturediet at the moment and it suits him fine, but once this bag is finished I'm moving him on to Fish4Dogs puppy kibble (he's 17 weeks old) as I believe that has better ingredients (Still with ND).

Arden Grange seems to have no ill effects with H though so maybe worth a try.

JWB didn't agree at all with Jess (as did none of the other kibbles I tried her with) which is why we moved her to raw.
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

09-01-2010, 11:49 AM
Loose stools are more likely to be parasites or over feeding than what you are feeding. Out of 21 dogs, I have never had to change foods to solve a loose stool problem. I would take a stool sample tot he vet. Also ask the vet to access the dog's body condition.
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2010, 12:01 PM
In my experience, loose stools are a sign that the food isn't being digested properly. There are loads of good quality foods on the market, but I have to say I'm no expert in feeding Dalmatians as I know they have different nutritional needs to other breeds. What does her breeder use? As you have a pet shop you could get loads of free samples from manufacturers. Just ask them and they will send them along, that way you will be able to recommend foods to your customers too. Mine do really well on raw, but like you, I struggle for freezer space, so I do half and half. I have tried a few dry foods ncluding Autarky and Skinners but I found that whilst Rio does OK on any food, Dan is very loose on a lot we have tried. Harringtons works best for us, mixed with some raw mince and they get bones a few times a week too.
Lorna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2010, 12:13 PM
Icon didn't suit JWB either - I've got Chase on Burns, which Icon did much better on too.
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2010, 12:17 PM
Thanks all.

She shouldn't have any parasites as she's been wormed upto date and was wormed only recently... I'm using drontal so it's not like it's pet shop stuff or anything.

She is, however eating more than she should at the moment. All 3 have been very hungry and eating more than usual since the weather got so cold. If I don't feed her more than the RDA then she's running around jumping at the worktops and searching for food or scratching between the kitchen flags looking for bits of kibble that may have dropped down there

Thanks for the suggestions, I have had samples before for the shop but as I no longer have the shop premises, I have limited storage and when you request samples you get boxes and boxes of them! With nobody asking for samples (because I only do deliveries, I don't have a shop to display the samples in) then I'm stuck with them!

I can get small bags to try though and if I do end up with any left over there's a local poundie rescue that I support who could use it I'm sure.

Thanks again.
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2010, 12:27 PM
How old is ur pup? Is worming up to date? Jwl wasn't for michael either he came on iams from the dogs home and I put him on proplan when the jwl didn't work. Do you live near a pets at home when j only have a tiny freezer I used their frozen chicken squares, suki needed half to 3/4 a day so. Went once or twice a week, when she a pup we had lots of Problems noting suitited her so tha is what she went on, she was u t date labman with worming and vet said she was healthy so what would ur expert opinion be here. What was pouring out if her aS vile black luquid at times. Good luck
ATD x
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2010, 12:49 PM
Originally Posted by ATD View Post
How old is ur pup? Is worming up to date? Jwl wasn't for michael either he came on iams from the dogs home and I put him on proplan when the jwl didn't work. Do you live near a pets at home when j only have a tiny freezer I used their frozen chicken squares, suki needed half to 3/4 a day so. Went once or twice a week, when she a pup we had lots of Problems noting suitited her so tha is what she went on, she was u t date labman with worming and vet said she was healthy so what would ur expert opinion be here. What was pouring out if her aS vile black luquid at times. Good luck
ATD x
Hi As above she is 15 weeks and wormed upto date.

I don't live near a Pets at Home and to be honest, wouldn't use it if I did!

I think I will try her on the proplan as I know her breeder fed her a mix of this and CSJ so it seems like a good plan.

I think also I will prepare some pasta for them to try and fill them up during this cold spell as it probably doesn't help that I'm feeding them all more than they should be fed as they're just so hungry!

Thanks.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2010, 12:54 PM
Originally Posted by Labman View Post
Loose stools are more likely to be parasites or over feeding than what you are feeding. Out of 21 dogs, I have never had to change foods to solve a loose stool problem. I would take a stool sample tot he vet. Also ask the vet to access the dog's body condition.
Woody has had soft stools his whole life. He's been regularly wormed (never missed one) and had several stool samples taken and tested.

It's been concluded he has a sensitive tum and reacts to certain additives and proteins. We feed him Arden Grange Sensitive and nothing else at all and his stools are now perfect.

If you want to try he on it let me know as have details of the cheapest place to get it, although you can prob get cheaper on wholesale? ;o)
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2010, 12:58 PM
Originally Posted by Lottie View Post
Thanks all.

She shouldn't have any parasites as she's been wormed upto date and was wormed only recently... I'm using drontal so it's not like it's pet shop stuff or anything.

She is, however eating more than she should at the moment. All 3 have been very hungry and eating more than usual since the weather got so cold. If I don't feed her more than the RDA then she's running around jumping at the worktops and searching for food or scratching between the kitchen flags looking for bits of kibble that may have dropped down there

Thanks for the suggestions, I have had samples before for the shop but as I no longer have the shop premises, I have limited storage and when you request samples you get boxes and boxes of them! With nobody asking for samples (because I only do deliveries, I don't have a shop to display the samples in) then I'm stuck with them!

I can get small bags to try though and if I do end up with any left over there's a local poundie rescue that I support who could use it I'm sure.

Thanks again.
Sorry, didn't realise you don't have the shop any more. Most pet food companies will send samples out anyway if you email them. I've tried Luaths and Robbies too will great results.

The pasta is a good idea too. I've noticed Mine are hungrier during this cold weather, and my cats have gone a bit tubby too! I think it's only natural to want some stodge when it's this cold!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >