View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
MistyBlue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2008, 11:10 PM

what qualifcations/experience do you need to open a kennel/cattery?

what qualifcations/experience do you need to open a kennel/cattery?

just thinking out loud really as id love to be able to do this in the far away future (like in 10 years time)

just wondered what you need/how much space/any qualifacations/what experience?

thanks!
mse2ponder
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2008, 11:18 PM
you have to have a licence from the local authority and i think there are now mimimum dimensions for kennels/runs for new-build kennels but i'm sure someone will know!
MistyBlue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2008, 11:20 PM
hiya thanks! i would want to do like, animal care first, like the min to know if something happens, and maybe a short course in grooming, so i can spruse them up when they stay!

i wonder how bit the garden has to be?

i have always thought about it and my mum mentioned it to me today as her parter takes his cats to a cattery and they have heated kennels and music playing!! she said she wishes she could stay there its that nice!!

and she said why dont i do it! i said i want to but obviously it wouldnt happen for like 5/10 years!!

so im really thinking a long way down the line here!
Tye_Bo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-02-2008, 10:55 PM
I don't know about where you are but here in Derbyshire there is a shortage of people who will homeboard dogs for you whilst you go on holiday. I'm a pet sitter and this isn't a service I offer but I must get 2 calls a week requesting it. Maybe that would be an option for you to think about? You would need insurance obviously and a licence from your local council.
Colin
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

09-02-2008, 11:08 PM
You also need planning permission for your council to have the kennels constructed.
Tye_Bo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-02-2008, 11:24 PM
Originally Posted by Colin View Post
You also need planning permission for your council to have the kennels constructed.
Home boarding is where the dogs live in the house with you alongside you and your own pets. You don't kennel them outside so no kennels required.
MistyBlue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2008, 01:11 AM
my boyfs a builder so my dad etc all my family are so they would no more about taht then me!

as i said its liek 10 years time so jsut gatering info right now!

thanks for the homeboarding stuff i will think about it!
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2008, 10:09 AM
Great thread, I know a friend and I always dream out loud of doing the same thing xx
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2008, 05:28 PM
Basically you dont need any experience, nor training! You just need a boarding lisence.
TalentedMrRiply
Dogsey Junior
Male 

07-07-2008, 03:00 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Basically you dont need any experience, nor training! You just need a boarding lisence.

What you do need is a complete and undivided love of cats and dogs. You must also be willing to give up your free time and totally devote your life to running your business.

Things will change in 10 years regarding kennels, legislation will much much stricter and qualifications for both owners and staff will also hopefully be in force. You won't be building a new one though as it's near on impossible now to get planning for a new business.

As you will probably gather, I currently own and run a small family kennels and I absolutely love what I do but be warned it's incredibly hard work but also immensely rewarding.

Please ask away if you ave any questions as I'm always as helpful as I can be.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >