View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Shangri-La
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-01-2013, 09:51 AM

Joints supplements - when should they be used?

Hi... when should we start to use a joint supplement
is it when they reach say 8 years old... or if you see any signs of joint problem...
my boy is comming up to 8 years old this year... he has no sings of joint problems... we do have a very active life together Agility and we belong to a walking group

also what joint supplement would you recomend
i like the sound of Yumove...
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-01-2013, 11:01 AM
Originally Posted by Shangri-La View Post
Hi... when should we start to use a joint supplement
is it when they reach say 8 years old... or if you see any signs of joint problem...
my boy is comming up to 8 years old this year... he has no sings of joint problems... we do have a very active life together Agility and we belong to a walking group

also what joint supplement would you recomend
i like the sound of Yumove...
I think the time to use joint supplements is long before they reach an age we feel they need them.... in other words in the younger years.

Mind better late than never, there are a lot of choices out there, which one is an individual choice.
lessie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-01-2013, 08:50 PM
It really is down to your dog. All dog's are different, and not all tablets/powder will agree with your dog.

I'm currently trying out second joint supplement (Yumove) and my dog didn't like the previous one, and I don't think it made that much difference.

I'd highly recommend doing a trial of different ones, as well as comparing each ones ingredients.

Mine loves Yumove and quite happily take it off my hand, whereas the other ones - he walks away, so I had to disguise it.

Good Luck and hope you'll find the most appropriate one for your dog.
mastines33
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-01-2013, 08:57 AM
I give mine the joint supplement Superflex 3 and omega 3 as well. Have done that since they were about 5 months old as they are a giant breed. They also get dry food with the chondroitin, glucosamine and msm in already but in small dosis.. Not sure if it does any good but it won't harm them either.. The reason why I give it to them is that I lost 2 of my giants with problems of getting up on their hindlegs at quite a young age and just trying to do better this time round x
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2013, 10:08 AM
ive been looking at yumove for my lurcher.. shes only just over 12 months old, but with her being a working dog she is very active and her joints are at strain the amount of running she does and jumping etc.

i use other yumega products and can honestly say they work so yumove is a definite option for me.
Olga Hubicka
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-01-2013, 11:18 PM
Our elderly dog, Gio (who sadly passed away aged 14 and a half) was on Cosequin capsules for a while, which were inconvenient to deliver and didn't seem to make much difference to his mobility. But then I found a super glucosamine and chondroitin chew that he just loved called Easeflex and which he had daily for the last couple of years of his life. I believe it really helped him with his mobility, particularly after a back op (he was a dachshund, therefore prone to back problems). I could give it to him as a treat and he would take it very happily - but if I put a piece of Easeflex in his dish with other food, he would eat that first before he approached the rest of his meal. Our Vet was so impressed that they started stocking Easeflex in the surgery for other dogs.

After Gio passed away, I had a nearly full tub of Easeflex left - so I gave it to the owner of a 5 year old lurcher who was showing early signs of arthritis. The improvement was astonishing, and the lurcher - now about 8 - is no longer having any problems with joint stiffness or mobility.

Olga
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-01-2013, 08:30 AM
I give Pereg Glucosamine and Chondroitin with MSM, also Green Lipped Mussel. She is just four years old and I started giving them to her possibly nearly a year now.

She does not go for regular walks as I cannot take her out very often and when I do there is nowhere she can go off-lead, but when she is outside on her 12m tether she races backwards and forwards when she sees a cat or a loose dog - or indeed someone she has taken a dislike to for various reasons, so what with all the quick turning etc I thought it better to give her joint protection sooner than later.

I open the capsules and sprinkle them on her first meal, which is a "wet" one, together with the various other supplements she has.