Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2007, 08:22 PM
Originally Posted by Greyhawk View Post
Well it would help if people adhered to the ethics in the first place What you have stated is certainly true for hereditary cataracts.
Yes it is true, but I'm talking about late onset (which examiners call hereditary) NOT Juvenile as stated previously.

Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
Explain why you think they shouldn't be bred from.
Becky
The Opthalmologist I spoke with said that any dog with late onset Cataracts should never be bred from, as it could possibly be Hereditary, hence it being called HC on forms (Hereditary Cataracts) in case it is in fact Hereditary.

He also told me that any siblings of a dog with it, should also not be bred from.
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2007, 08:24 PM
Interesting - may I ask who this opthamologist is? Can they not provide you with the literature you seek?
I'm not sure, maybe I'll ask, but I thought that as this was a community forum with many experienced and knowledgable members I would ask here first instead

His name is Chris Warren.

And besides, you said you know different, and you have still yet to enlighten me !
Greyhawk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2007, 08:25 PM
Originally Posted by Malady View Post
hence it being called HC on forms (Hereditary Cataracts) in case it is in fact Hereditary.

He also told me that any siblings of a dog with it, should also not be bred from.
It depends entirely on the breed, as I am sure you are no doubt aware, HC in Malamutes refers to Juvenile cataracts.
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2007, 08:26 PM
It depends entirely on the breed, as I am sure you are no doubt aware, HC in Malamutes refers to Juvenile cataracts.
Really ??

Strange that, because not so long ago, I attended a Malamute being eye tested for HC and it came back as having Late onset, as they dont yet have the genetic marker for it !!! and on the form it was recorded as having HC !!
Greyhawk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2007, 08:30 PM
Really ??

Strange that, because not so long ago, I attended a Malamute being eye tested for HC and it came back as having Late onset, as they dont yet have the genetic marker for Juvenile !!! and on the form it was recorded as having HC !!
Now that is interesting. So they have found the genetic marker for Late Onset cataracts in Mals have they?
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2007, 08:32 PM
Now that is interesting. So they have found the genetic marker for Late Onset cataracts in Mals have they?
Are you reading my posts at all, or just being difficult for a reason.

Read my previous posts
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2007, 08:32 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but if the dog has late onset cataracts then surely this means the dog is at least over 5 years old so why are they breeding a dog for the first time that old?
Becky
Greyhawk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2007, 08:34 PM
Really ??

Strange that, because not so long ago, I attended a Malamute being eye tested for HC and it came back as having Late onset, as they dont yet have the genetic marker for Juvenile !!! and on the form it was recorded as having HC !!
Sorry, when you stated that it came back as being late onset as they didn't have the genetic marker for Juvenile I assumed you meant they had the genetic marker for late onset.

I wasn't trying to be difficult, that is how I read your post.
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2007, 08:34 PM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but if the dog has late onset cataracts then surely this means the dog is at least over 5 years old so why are they breeding a dog for the first time that old?
Becky
Who said they were breeding it for the first time ?

The test for HC is done annually and it can be clear for many years before it shows up.
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2007, 08:37 PM
They dont yet have the DNA marker for late onset, therefore Opthalmologists call it Hereditary Cataracts just in case and recommend that dogs with it dont be bred from.

They dont yet know whether it is hereditary or not......
Sorry, when you stated that it came back as being late onset as they didn't have the genetic marker for Juvenile I assumed you meant they had the genetic marker for late onset.

I wasn't trying to be difficult, that is how I read your post.

I didn't say they never had the DNA marker for Juvenile, you misread it
Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »