Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2007, 08:05 PM
Originally Posted by Greyhawk View Post
Actually I have two :smt002 However we aren't talking about Mals are we

Tara, I have done copius amounts of research into cataracts and I suggest you do the same if you unwilling to accept anyone elses views. I also suggest that you go and tell two rather well respected opthamologists that they are wrong.
I never said any Optamologist was wrong, and am willing to accept I am wrong, If I am told different.

You haven't told me anything different, you've just said I am wrong and I asked you to enlighten me. I'm not unwilling to accept anyone elses views, except you haven't given one, except to say I'm wrong !

And if that's the case, regardless of Mals or any other breed where the DNA marker for late onset isn't know, why therefore will no-one breed from a dog that has it, ??
Greyhawk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2007, 08:07 PM
Originally Posted by Malady View Post
You haven't told me anything different, you've just said I am wrong and I asked you to enlighten me.
I refer you to my previous post:

It all depends on whether it is a hereditary condition or not. Dogs with hereditary conditions should not be bred from, but if it is not a hereditary condition then it will not be passed on.

HTH.
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2007, 08:11 PM
I refer you to my previous post:
You haven't enlightened me at all, that is stating the obvious.

They dont yet have the DNA marker for late onset, therefore Opthalmologists call it Hereditary Cataracts just in case and recommend that dogs with it dont be bred from.

They dont yet know whether it is hereditary or not, so where am I wrong ?
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2007, 08:12 PM
The whole point of DNA testing is that you can use affecteds and carriers in breeding programs without producing affected dogs. So to me it isn't whether it has cataracts or not but is the dog of suitable merit or of a rare line gene pool wise then it can be bred from.
Becky
Greyhawk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2007, 08:14 PM
They dont yet have the DNA marker for late onset, therefore Opthalmologists call it Hereditary Cataracts just in case and recommend that dogs with it dont be bred from
Where have you read that all senile onset (or late onset) cataracts are hereditary?
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2007, 08:15 PM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
The whole point of DNA testing is that you can use affecteds and carriers in breeding programs without producing affected dogs. So to me it isn't whether it has cataracts or not but is the dog of suitable merit or of a rare line gene pool wise then it can be bred from.
Becky
Maybe I assumed wrongly that all breeds carried the same ethics as my own, and that is that ANY dog that has been tested and found to have Cataracts not be bred from full stop.
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2007, 08:18 PM
Where have you read that all senile onset (or late onset) cataracts are hereditary?
MY previous quote :

Opthalmologists call it Hereditary Cataracts just in case and recommend that dogs with it dont be bred from.
I didn't say I read it anywhere.

I've been to a fair few eye testings with a very well respected long standing examiner, and I also sat in on a telephone conversation he had with his own University mentor on the subject, who stated the above.
Greyhawk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

Maybe I assumed wrongly that all breeds carried the same ethics as my own, and that is that ANY dog that has been tested and found to have Cataracts not be bred from full stop.
Well it would help if people adhered to the ethics in the first place What you have stated is certainly true for hereditary cataracts.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

Explain why you think they shouldn't be bred from.
Becky
Greyhawk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2007, 08:20 PM
I've been to a fair few eye testings with a very well respected long standing examiner, and I also sat in on a telephone conversation he had with his own University mentor on the subject, who stated the above.
Interesting - may I ask who this opthamologist is? Can they not provide you with the literature you seek?
Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »