Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
BFG
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-11-2007, 02:01 PM

Chemical castraion

My dog Spencer yesterday had a chemical castration injection. I am considering having him castrated and wanted to see if this made any difference before I go the whole hog!

Does anyone have any personal experiences of this and if so did it help.
Lorna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2007, 05:33 PM
Sorry to sound dull, but chemical castration? Can you enlighten me?
BFG
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-11-2007, 05:37 PM
It's an injection which reduces the level of testosterone in effect giving the same outcome as castration. It is only a short term solution. I am trying it to decide whether or not to have my dog castrated.
Rookgeordiegirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2007, 05:44 PM
Was it Tardak your boy had. If I remember rightly what ever differance you get with the jab,thats the effect that surgical castration can make,the effect of the jab usually lasts 6-8wks but a lot depends on the age of the dog when the jab is given.
I have knownone or two dogs being made more attractive to other male dogs until the jab wore off,

hope that helps a bit
Mummy2Max
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2007, 05:47 PM
Chemical castration can give you an accurate insight into how your dog may react after castration, although you can sometimes get false results.
Vodka Vixen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2007, 05:56 PM
I am considering this, so will be interested to know the outcome
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2007, 06:01 PM
Yes the drug is Tardak. It will tell you what effects castration will have on your dog, its an excellent idea before you go straight for the op. If your dog shows nervous aggressive tendancies, its unwise to have them neutered, it can make them a lot worse. Saying they are more attractive to other entire males is correct, many castrated males are like this after they are neutered. You wont see the coat changes though, with a Giant Schnauzer, the coat may become soft and profuse and need clipping more often, castration does ruin a dogs coat in many breeds. I have used it a couple times when my bitch was in season, my dogs were not interested in her and I noticed no difference in them whatsoever, but then they had no "issues" before hand.
Dawn.
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2007, 06:47 PM
My Defa had it prior to the snip [ I routinely neuter if they are`nt already done when in rescue ], because he was`nt physically well enough to go under GA when I first adopted him a day apart from adopting Gremlin, [ private rescue ], who I was told was spayed but she was`nt

To see any behavioural effects really needs two consecutive doses on average and the effects are really seen as the last jab wears off several weeks later, any differences are more pronounced at that time as the testosterone levels come back up [ simplified laymans version lol ].

Defa had zero ill-effects and the jabs were an excellent predictor for when he had the proper snip, he had been a bit dog aggressive which was heightened by Gremlin being entire and it did help with that, [ for his inner wellbeing ], in his particular case.

HTH :smt001
BFG
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-11-2007, 10:39 PM
The replies are very interesting so far. It will be fascinating to see what happens.
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2007, 10:46 PM
Ahhh now then I had my boy given this (regularly at one time), and to be totally honest it made no difference whatsoever, he was STILL interested in bitches, he was STILL up for it if challenged by another male, he was STILL as hyper as usual, so this may have indicated that having him surgically castrated wouldn't make a difference, or maybe it dosnt work on some dogs? I dont really know, because based on this I didnt get him castrated, I did show him but if there had been a difference I would have stopped showing him and had him done.

Mo
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >