View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
niki
New Member!
Female 

16-03-2007, 09:55 PM
erm they pester him for the ball as its their ball he has knicked,dont think i said about him only dropping when treats r there,i dont use them in the house,but i do outside,coz it seems to be the only way he will drop.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2007, 10:26 PM
How well does he know the 'leave' and 'recall' cue???

When you are out with him and he gets another dog's ball, are you already playing retrieve with his toy?

Could you go through the full sequence of what happens, ie when does he go for the other dog's toy, at what stage do you intervene etc? I am presuming that the other dogs are strangers to him and not other dogs that belong to you??
niki
New Member!
Female 

17-02-2008, 03:40 PM
jacks 3 now n still no further with the non destroying,anno its in his nature but................
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2008, 04:27 PM
I`ve just won this battle with Daisy - but it took 6 months.
First - use a ball on a rope. When she takes it, Stand there with the rope till she gets fed up and drops it.
(this took 30 minutes or so the first time, so you might need to take a book)
Immediately give her the ball back. This her reward.
Don`t pull on it - it`s not a tuggy game. If she starts to pull put her lead on and get her to sit.
Repeat.
Finally- It`s your ball. The dog shouldn`t have posession of it unless you are playing. If you want him to carry something around, get a training dummy.
niki
New Member!
Female 

17-02-2008, 05:24 PM
First - use a ball on a rope. When she takes it, Stand there with the rope till she gets fed up and drops it.

so am i still holding the rope when he takes it,if i didnt say b4 he's a BORDER TERRIER, CAN HE STILL LEARN TO DROP WHEN TOLD i think not.ive been trying since he was 1
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2008, 05:41 PM
Flynn tends to have a death grip as well (although I have the added problem that he wont bring anything back to me in the first place!) and a game of tug with him lasts a very long time.

I use the "give" command but it's all the same really but I dont make him drop it, I want him to give it me directly into my hand. Anyway, he will usually let go on command but if he's having particularly stubborn moment I use another method.

This obviously wont work on a ball but on toys like raggers and dummy's I slide my hands along the toy until a hand is pressed either side of his mouth. He tends to understand that I want control of the toy because i'm monopolising the vast majority of it and I dont want to have a tug o'war. He gives it up far easier than a command alone.

I just discovered he did this by chance but I think it has much to do with the fact that once my hands are next to his mouth, he only has control of a tiny portion and I own the rest of it. I guess it's a bit like what Cesar Millan does when he takes a chew from a problem dog.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2008, 05:57 PM
Originally Posted by niki View Post

so am i still holding the rope when he takes it,if i didnt say b4 he's a BORDER TERRIER, CAN HE STILL LEARN TO DROP WHEN TOLD i think not.ive been trying since he was 1
Obviously you know your dog best, but I still think that any dog will get bored and let go if you don`t react or pull. The trick is not to make it a battle.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2008, 06:02 PM
how to get a dog to drop ANYTHING its holding.

1.hold dogs Collar,gently,
2.with other hand hold the article
3.Gently pull the dogs head & shoulder on to your leg so the dog is in CLOSE contact with your body (side is better than infront)
4.holding the dog gently but firmly there with your hand in its collar, relax your grip on the article so there is absolutly no tension there.
5 dog releases obeject
6.no need to say a word!!!!!!

If you try this & it dosent work its because you still have "tension" on the article...RELAX your grip!!!!
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2008, 06:03 PM
If you arent tugging on the toy or reacting in any way, there is no interest as far as the dog is concerned so I tend to agree that any dog will give up eventually as it's just too boring for them.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-02-2008, 09:07 AM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
how to get a dog to drop ANYTHING its holding.

1.hold dogs Collar,gently,
2.with other hand hold the article
3.Gently pull the dogs head & shoulder on to your leg so the dog is in CLOSE contact with your body (side is better than infront)
4.holding the dog gently but firmly there with your hand in its collar, relax your grip on the article so there is absolutly no tension there.
5 dog releases obeject
6.no need to say a word!!!!!!

If you try this & it dosent work its because you still have "tension" on the article...RELAX your grip!!!!
I will try this with Shady tonight, although she is normally verty easy anyway to get anything off. Milo I have to catch the little horror first. Any tips on how to catch a JRT because he doesn't want to give up what he has and can get behind chairs and out again quicker than you can. I've tried tasty treats like cheese and meat but if he has something he doesn't want to give up he is not interested in anything else.
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >