New Member!
Female 

13-03-2007, 07:03 PM
thing is tho if he dropped the ball i wouldnt have the problem,but he wont
perrypooh
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-03-2007, 08:47 PM
we had this problem in the end we found the best thing is to practice at home and just sit it out, get them to fetch and sit with the toy,hold it but DON'T pull on it at all no pressure what so ever just hold it, and wait......it may take a long time but they will tire soon as they do add a command, 'give' 'drop' etc and loads of praise and give it straight back to the dog, then gradually build the time up where you are holding the toy and the dog is waiting nicely. We found our dogs were very reluctant to give us things if we were going to confiscate them or keep throwing them for the to fetch, the game does get tedious for some dogs and they would rather just carry it.So by giving them straight back to the dog they were happier to release the ball for us next time.
muttzrule
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2007, 12:20 AM
I agree with Perry Pooh, the chase and the tug are games to Raven. She thinks you are playing with her. Don't chase her. And don't tug on the object. If you stop "playing" her game, she will get bored. the minute she releases the ball, throw another. She will catch on quick that its a lot more fun to play your game than hers.
niki
New Member!
Female 

14-03-2007, 07:06 AM
and mean time he is destroying the ball he has knicked,wot help is that
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2007, 12:09 AM
Hi Niki

Not read back on the posts, but have seen your last one. It sounds as though the ball is the 'be all and end all' to your dog, ie he values having it more that he values playing a game with it???

If so, try using a couple of identical toys that are of less value to him for training. Alternatively, if he likes squeaky balls, try getting him to drop his 'boring' ball for the one that you have that 'squeaks'.

You don't have to exchange his ball for the squeaky, the squeaky is just to encourage him to drop his ball for you to pick up and throw.

Much easier to show than explain (especially at this time of night )
muttzrule
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2007, 12:38 AM
and mean time he is destroying the ball he has knicked,wot help is that
You play your "own" game with your "own" toy and I guarantee you, she will wonder what is up with you and drop the ball. Right now, by chasing her and tugging to get the ball, you are playing her game.

Stop. and play your own game. When she won't give back the ball. Take the other toy, toss it in the air, hold it above your head, ignore the dog but make a big show of how great this toy is. I promise, it will work.
niki
New Member!
Female 

15-03-2007, 06:55 AM
ive been trying diff tricks for over a yr now,nothing and i mean nothing works.i cant iggy him coz he just runs away n lies down n destroys the toy he has,he isnt interested in anything

am i doomed to be an outcast,just me n jack playing on our own,he's fine with no other dogs about,he will drop no probs,dunno if its psycological,b4 he was 1 i never had the problem,he wasnt interested in other dogs toys,it started i think last summer when we had that brill weather for mnths,us humans sitting in the sun whilst letting the dogs play,we'd watch him stalking a dog with the toy/ball he wanted n waiting till they got bored n drop it,then he'd sneak in,,grrrrrrrrrr
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2007, 07:57 PM
Am I right in thinking that he actually does know and will drop when he's retrieved a ball but won't drop it if there's another dog about?
niki
New Member!
Female 

15-03-2007, 08:01 PM
yes thats it,and he definately wont drop it if the dog is near.hasseling him by barking,once the dog goes away i can get him to drop it with food

will he ever just drop it without food,wot if i run out of wot he likes,surely he has to learn her cant always get wot he wants
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2007, 06:50 PM
I may have misinterpreted, but if he only holds onto the ball when another dog is pestering him for it, why do you want him to drop it at that point? If he did, there's every likelihood that his fears would be proved and the other dog would make off with his treasure.

As for not dropping unless you have a treat when there are no other dogs around, it sounds like you've set this up as a training 'habit', ie that's what he thinks should happen.

I'd take it right back to basics by starting in the house, using a ball that he can't chew through and working through the you drop yours, I throw mine routine and I would eliminate the treats altogether.

Does your guy like to 'catch' the ball, ie you throw and he catches before it hits the ground? If so, use two balls, toss one in the air and let him catch it, then toss the next ball into the air, as his mouth opens and the first ball drops, introduce the 'drop' cue commands. Simple, but very effective with dogs that like to hold onto their ball.
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >