View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2010, 06:38 PM
Can I ask, those of you with family, hubby/partner/kids, who eat meat, do you use the same cooking utensils for their food as you do for yours?

I had a vegitarian Son in Law once who used to come to dinner not only with his own food, fair enough, but his own cooking utensils too
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2010, 06:39 PM
Originally Posted by Nippy View Post
Can I ask, those of you with family, hubby/partner/kids, who eat meat, do you use the same cooking utensils for their food as you do for yours?

I had a vegitarian Son in Law once who used to come to dinner not only with his own food, fair enough, but his own cooking utensils too
I too have my own dishes and utensils!!
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2010, 06:49 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
I don't know if there are any weight limitations tbh. However the one thing I would say IS better about halal and kosher meat is that as it's the priests who are doing it they are less likely to accept diseased or ill-looking animals.

But like I said - not that that makes eating meat any better. The only way you can be 100% sure the meat is safe and not been subjected to cruelty is by farming it yourself.
Im not sure how well qualified a priest would be to tell if an animal is diseased, or ill looking,
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2010, 06:54 PM
Pidge not having a go honest am just interested as it is truly something I do not understand

Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
I knew I shouldn't have posted first thing in the morning, knowing I wouldn't be back on till now.

First of all the 'true' part of my post meant someone who was almost born with it in them (to be veggie that is). I agree a true vegetarian is also someone who does not eat any animals or animals by products. I wont confirm that I do not see myself as a true vegetarian as I'm sure none of you thought I was claiming to be one

What do you mean by born with it to be in them, we are born omnivores with all the necessary cutting and digesting equipment for both meat and veg.

Sorry Pidge I have chopped out lots of your quote I have no question with or that has been explained to me

Re: the pescetarianism bit - yep, that's me but I never say it because no one ever knows what it means and saying I'm veggie (and happily confessing to eating fish) is alot easier than me saying ''well, I don't eat any meat, but I eat all types of seafood. I also eat fish but I don't like anything with a steaky texture like tuna and I like my fish to be well done. I love parmesan cheese but can by funny about eggs.''

So is it just the texture of meat you don't like rather than an ethical point - genuinely interested here

Me too and actually I wish I could. I am slowly going off the fish thing because of things I'm seeing and hearing but it's hard to stop something you love hugely!

As above LOL

I don't think anyone who eats fish and wears leather can call themselves a 'real' vegetarian.

No they definitely can't I think using vegetarian in that situation is wrong

See above for my personal view on that one. But I agree with you.
Have done thank you

No way! I hope you are joking!

I suspect she was being serious - which is scary
Sorry for cutting into your quote hope you don't mind I know it can be considered rude but its a subject that fascinates me. I just dion't get it, but there are many who have posted who equally just won't get my views but thats what keeps the world turning - variety
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2010, 07:04 PM
Hmm.
I am an ex veggie (again).
I do however only ever eat organic meat. I also only eat organic eggs. I love meat, I love the taste of it and always have and crave it when I am not eating it. My son and OH and dogs all eat...so I have spent years cooking meat then eating quorn!!!

I finally decided to go down the organic meat only route as I think it is an important market to encourage.
I also realised that I was being hypocritical at times....I didn't eat meat/only ate organic eggs from happy chickens...but would eat pasta when eating out (probably made with eggs from battery farmed eggs) or mayonnaise based dishes, or egg fried rice or think in batter (sweet and sour mushrooms). The list was endless. It is very hard to be a 'true' vegetarian...so many things contain animal by products.
So I ahve opted to go organic and try to ensure that the meat I eat is happy meat. I try to source it from local butchers etc (do NOT ask how much the turkey cost...just do not go there...) but otherwise source it in supermarkets. It is a market we should encourage. I believe organic meat has to also be killed in an organic abbatoir..not that it probably makes any difference to the actual slaughtering process, which is the bit that upsets me most.

I have no doubt I will end up going veggie again at some point...but for now I am not. I was just finding it so hard to want to eat meat...and to source truly vegetarian food (especially because I am a traditonal food sort of girl at heart.)

ETA I have only ever been veggie because of animal welfare issues. It has never,ever been because I don't like it. I wish I didn't as it would make life easier!
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2010, 07:10 PM
Originally Posted by settagirl View Post
I too have my own dishes and utensils!!
Oh ok.
I'm a "non believer" or non understander and couldn't get my head around it.
I can understand your views and principles but could never understand why you couldn't use a pan that had not been touched by meat for maybe a week or more.
By You I mean veggies collectively.
This could be why veggies have a hard time, because it could seem a bit fanatical.
aliwin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-02-2010, 07:31 PM
Originally Posted by settagirl View Post
True veggie here then, am ovo lacto vegetarian, don't eat fish, fowl, flesh, only drink veggie wine, eat veggie cheese, no gelatine, no animal rennet/glycerine and I read all my food labels!! I am a nightmare to shop with!!
Me too I check everything just in case! I am as strict as you too and my kids actually thought Haribo's were called Haribones

Me too I'm afraid And an invite to a BBQ fills me with pure horror
aliwin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-02-2010, 07:33 PM
Oh ok.
I'm a "non believer" or non understander and couldn't get my head around it.
I can understand your views and principles but could never understand why you couldn't use a pan that had not been touched by meat for maybe a week or more.
By You I mean veggies collectively.
This could be why veggies have a hard time, because it could seem a bit fanatical.
Best way I can describe it is it feels like sharing your bowl with the dog. I am quite discreet in my lunacy though!
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2010, 07:34 PM
Originally Posted by aliwin View Post
Me too I check everything just in case! I am as strict as you too and my kids actually thought Haribo's were called Haribones

Me too I'm afraid And an invite to a BBQ fills me with pure horror
SiL used to bring a small disposable BBQ with him. I learned a lot of tricks from him
aliwin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-02-2010, 07:37 PM
SiL used to bring a small disposable BBQ with him. I learned a lot of tricks from him
You have to watch people like a hawk though because they do things without thinking, like turn your stuff with the one they just used for meat! I really don't do social eating these days unless I trust the person totally!
Page 15 of 25 « First < 5 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 > Last »