View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

09-09-2005, 10:41 PM
Don't feel under pressure steve only do it if you really want to.

We will be here to support you.
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

09-09-2005, 10:42 PM
Originally Posted by leo
I think that anyone that has smoked before and given up will tell you that they could pick one up now and it wouldn't feel out of place to do it.

Except it would make up you sick as a dog it's just that we choose not to smoke.
A friends dad told me that he gave up when his first child was born 30 years ago and he said starting again would be so easy.He also admitted to standing next to someone smoking-just to smell it.Like he said "once a smoker-always a smoker".
Stewart
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

09-09-2005, 11:11 PM
Same as a drinker

I've got to give up smoking
Emm
Dogsey Veteran

10-09-2005, 10:11 AM
I used to be frightened of giving up smoking because people would tell me once a smoker always a smoker - but I can honestly say that I absolutley hate ciggies and my OH once asked me to hold his ciggie for him while he went into the shop and I couldn't hold it - it was stinking.

It is really hard to give up and it took me at least a year for my mind to become a non-smokers - but you can do it if you really want to - I just hate having anything control me and I was definately not going to allow ciggies to control me - now I can't wait for massive ban on smoking!
Ruthlynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2005, 10:39 AM
Hi Steve!
I just wanted to encourage to to keep trying with giving up the ciggies. we do stopping smoking support at my GP surgery and when someone wants to stop , they start with the strong patches for a month, then gradually go down over the next two months. It does help, honest....worth a go and you really do need some sort of support network or goal to work towards. I've never smoked so can't totally understand the craving for a cigarette but if you asked me to give up tea....! Then I'd understand!!
jackiew
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2005, 10:48 AM
i did try to give up once a little while ago
got down form 30 a day to 2 with the help of patches
but when my eldest daughter had some health problems i went straight back to 30 again
have the nasal spray to try but not been brave enough to use it yet as they say if you use the spray and have a fag you could end up in hospital and i,m not that brave yet
but i WILL give up one day(soon)
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2005, 11:04 AM
Hi Steve

I quit smoking 8 years ago. Cold turkey.

I dont mind smokers.. And I dont mind the smell of smoke.. But I wont smoke myself..

Dont have the need, not even when I'm around smokers.. Just ask those who were there at our Birmingham weekend..
AlisonTRPD
New Member!
Female 

10-09-2005, 11:06 AM
Originally Posted by Steve

I really couldnt just stop immediately-i'd go insane.

Like i said earlier-i managed to get down from 20 a day to 10,but stress from work caused me to light up more often than i wanted to.I hate smoking and from monday-will start to gradually reduce it again until hopefuly i quit.
Try telling yourself that instead of 'going insane' if you stop, that to stop would be a step towards regaining your sanity.

That, as things are at present, you are ALLOWING your life - physically, mentally and emotionally, to be controlled by something alien, and therefore damaging to it. That you have, in effect, handed over power over YOU to this 'thing'.

When the craving for a cigarette hits you, you have a choice, to act on that craving immediately or to turn it over for just a few minutes and resist. Try turning it over just for a few minutes. That is all the craving will last for anyway, and when it strikes again, do the same.

Try to occupy yourself with something absorbing and that involves using your hands.

When you feel stressed, and therefore vulnerable to attack by the craving, try to identify address the actual cause of the stress. Ask yourself if there is anything that you can do in the NOW to lessen the stress and, if so, do it, if not, then turn it over.

The first three days are the worst for the physical effects of nicotine withdrawal, and at the end of that period you will notice the difference in your breathing and ability to taste and smell. There are many little things you can then do to help yourself to counter the psychological effects and to address the stress factors that you believe smoking lessens for you.

Until a few years ago I worked in the area of addictions, so email me if you are really serious about wanting to quit and feel I may be able to help.
mari
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-09-2005, 09:40 PM
I dont know if you ever get over the craving for a ciggie
I was off the cigs for five yrs and went back on them when I lost my hubby but I smoke twice as much now as I did before ,I hate them and I hate the horrid chesty feeling in the morning
but I do intend to try and stop again as I soon as I can
mari
Page 5 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5