Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2011, 08:09 PM

Torn nail being removed

Not asking for advice so much as good thoughts here. Rupert's torn a nail badly and the vet took one look at it and insisted it be removed tomorrow. So 9am Rupe goes in to be sedated and have the nail removed. Not a life and death situation but good thoughts would be appreciated.

Any advice on how to stop him licking and chewing at it afterwards would be appreciated also, those collars are hopeless as he'll bash into us constantly while wearing one and if we leave him alone with it on he just takes it off or gets it stuck half on and half off
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2011, 09:04 PM
Oh poor Rupert and poor you........a bit of a sleepless night ahead I suspect.

I don't know for sure, but I expect that Rupert will have a thick bandage on, covered with that special anti chew tape..... with luck it will stay in place from one inspection to the next, but you will have to keep an eye on him.

Good luck.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2011, 09:10 PM
Originally Posted by sarah1983 View Post
Not asking for advice so much as good thoughts here. Rupert's torn a nail badly and the vet took one look at it and insisted it be removed tomorrow. So 9am Rupe goes in to be sedated and have the nail removed. Not a life and death situation but good thoughts would be appreciated.

Any advice on how to stop him licking and chewing at it afterwards would be appreciated also, those collars are hopeless as he'll bash into us constantly while wearing one and if we leave him alone with it on he just takes it off or gets it stuck half on and half off
Know what you mean about the collars. We never had a problem before Amber. Agree theyre lethal but Amber was houdini, before she was home she had hers off. We sent away for the Comfi collars & it was hopeless, she could twist round to stitches. She got the collar off day 9 & ripped stitches out. Panic dash to vets but he said she was healed anyway & said she'd did a efficient neat job

Your boy may have have a dressing on & you can buy antilick dressings, ask your vet as i am sure vets sell them & they arent pricey. Tastes bitter i think & puts them off licking or chewing.

Sending healing thoughts & hope he will soon be back to usual self
kirsty1978
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-01-2011, 09:10 PM
well i can answer this one for u because just before christmas my staff rosie done the same thing but to both her front feet lol i had her put under GA becasue she would probably wriggle and to be honest bloody painfull as they can still probably feel something under sedation, she came out with both feed bandaged and she only had shorts walks for about 10 days because it dried up then after a proper walk went very pink on the end so she just had short walks, pain killers and antibiotics
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2011, 09:14 PM
Will be thinking of Rupert and hope all goes well n is better very soon. Sorry no further advice to give re. after care other than Bitkin has said. Please give update n wishing you all well
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2011, 03:52 PM
Thanks everyone Rupert is home, crashed out on the sofa and still rather dopey. He's on antibiotics and painkillers and we're to avoid walking him for a few days. Vet doesn't expect any problems with the healing so fingers crossed it heals quickly and cleanly.

Last night the nail wasn't infected, this morning infection had started to set in so looks like we caught it just in time.
kirsty1978
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-01-2011, 03:54 PM
yeah the vets told me if it gets a bad infection they could loose a toe, glad hes ok i couldnt believe it when rosie done a toe nail on both feet lol just my luck
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2011, 04:29 PM
Am glad Rupert is home ok and hope the infection clears up quickly, sending him a hug
suecurrie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2011, 05:17 PM
Glad Rupert is ok. Makes your eyes water to think how painful it could be.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2011, 05:36 PM
Glad Rupert is ok. Please give him a gentle hug from me.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >