Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2009, 09:04 AM
Originally Posted by Brundog View Post
hey hunny just a hug .. you do what you think is best and what you feel is best to Biff.

I dont envy your decision, but wanted to say you know where i am if you need an ear or a shoulder xxxx
Thanks Dani, I think ultimately (having slept on it) if the ABs or steroids don't work, or if he deteriorates in the meantime...there is no decision to make is there?
Originally Posted by DippyLeo View Post
Just wanted to say so sorry to hear Biff's Plight, I totally emapthise with you as I have a Leo with LP and a leaky heart valve and have the same tormenting worries with regards to surgery and my boy not being strong enough to withstand a GA never mind the chance of pneumonia post surgery, his LP has taken a turn for the worse in the cooler months of this year and so I dread the summer coming and get so worried when the weather begins to warm up.

My thoughts are with you & Biff
I'm sorry about your Leo. It is such a horrid condition.
I think part of the thing with our vet saying no to surgery (or just saying it wasn't an option with Biff) is his quality of life. As it is his quality of life has been questionable of late, yes he potters around but he is asleep 98% of the time...he is hungry granted, but that is also a worry given his tummy problems and the fact that this is new, he ahs never been a hungry dog really.As for his arthritis...well that's bad, he is sore and does have quite bad muscle wastage. It is hard to control his pain management and his tummy problems at the best of times so throwing a GA and surgery into the equation would, I am sure, just be one thing too many. That is asidefrom his heart murmer.
He's an old dog bless him and I think we have been blind to how bad he has become. Sundays breathing problems were a wake up call. I can't have him going gasping for breath.
LP is a horrid thing. I really didn't think it would be the thing that made us lose him though.
Originally Posted by Vicki View Post
So sorry to hear that the prognosis for Biffters was not good, Ailsa. I know you were expecting to hear that, but it doesn't make it any easier to bear.

I hope the ABs make a difference, and don't upset his tum too much.

Keep us posted, honey, you are never far away from my thoughts......

x0x
Thanks Vicki. I started the ABs this morning as I wanted to try him on the other tablets first. Poor dog is rattling. I've actually upped his food a little just so his system has more to work them through with bless him.
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
((((hugs))))
Thanks Fiona. Much needed.

I was chatting to a doggy friend about it last night, she is in a similar situation but with different ailments with her 13 year old dog and I think we both thought both dogs would keep going forever. She was asking how he was on a day to day basis, what he did...and of course it all sounds okay...which is the hard thing. When I said the choking thing will only get worse and could prove fatal...she immediately said 'well that makes it a non decision then doesn't it?' and it does really. Having slept on it I am aware that I think we are probably entering the last couple of weeks with him,we are going to monitor him on a daily basis and just see how we go. Any more breathing episodes...and I think that the deicison will be made swiftly.
I think the last thing we can do for our dogs is ensure they pass without pain and with dignity. I am going to try my very best to do that. I couldn't do it for MO,I missed out on my last bit of time with him.

Having said that this morning he is calm and not too bad. His breathing has been okay, no barking or anything though! The new tablets haven't upset his bottom yet so I have made sure he has had todays ruimadyl this morning just in case he gets the runs later. We'll take each day as it comes, bless him.
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2009, 09:09 AM
So hard to see them getting older and not so bright . Gentle hugs to Biff and big hugs to you, Ailsa *hugs*
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2009, 09:23 AM
Thank you. It is horrid. We have been looking at how he is though and how our expectations of what he does have gradually changed. He is very much my OHs dog, he adores my OH and always have. Yesterday, after being out with the other two, he didn't even get up to say hello, he just stayed on his bed (a quadrupled up king size duvet) and wagged his tail. Biff has always been a total nutter...that's not him.
Sometimes you need a shove to see what is in front of you huh?
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2009, 09:27 AM
Hon, sometimes the changes are so gradual you get used to them but a fresh pair of eyes sees it different. Don't beat yourself up. I saw my Spotbot through to 18 years old, you think things are just old age or else you worry for every sneeze. Your'e taking advice and I know you'll do the best for Biff you can *hugs*
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2009, 09:39 AM
Originally Posted by MissE View Post
Hon, sometimes the changes are so gradual you get used to them but a fresh pair of eyes sees it different. Don't beat yourself up. I saw my Spotbot through to 18 years old, you think things are just old age or else you worry for every sneeze. Your'e taking advice and I know you'll do the best for Biff you can *hugs*
Thanks.
We are watching him so carefully now (and listening) and any changes for the worse and we will be straight back to the vet. Bless him.
It's the worst bit of loving dogs isn't it?
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2009, 11:31 AM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
Thank you. It is horrid. We have been looking at how he is though and how our expectations of what he does have gradually changed. He is very much my OHs dog, he adores my OH and always have. Yesterday, after being out with the other two, he didn't even get up to say hello, he just stayed on his bed (a quadrupled up king size duvet) and wagged his tail. Biff has always been a total nutter...that's not him.
Sometimes you need a shove to see what is in front of you huh?
But you shouldnt be exercising him if he has LP ESPECIALLY in the heat. Ailsa speak to another vet as your Vet isnt giving you the correct info.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2009, 11:35 AM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
But you shouldnt be exercising him if he has LP ESPECIALLY in the heat. Ailsa speak to another vet as your Vet isnt giving you the correct info.
Dawn he hadn't gone out, he was in the hall on his bed the whole time we were out with the other two...when we came in, he didn't even get up. He doesn't go out...ever. The only time he goes out is when we go to the vet. It is on vets advice that he doesn't go out.

Having re read my post, it did read like we may have taken him out..but we hadn't.
DippyLeo
Almost a Veteran
Female 

16-06-2009, 11:51 AM
My boy is 8yrs old (old for a Leo these days ) and he only has to lay in the shade and he is so exhausted, we have to have fans on throughout the house and at night (even in the winter) we have a fan on and a window open to help him breath easier
Berger
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2009, 11:56 AM
Poor old Biff Ailsa I am so so sorry. You will definitely know when the time is right. Big hugs to all of you. It must be so rough. It is the worst about loving dogs so much xx
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2009, 11:59 AM
Oh Ailsa, I have just caught up with your news. I am so sorry. Such a heartwrenching time Please accept a hug.
Page 6 of 13 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 > Last »