Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-05-2007, 09:43 AM

arthritis border collie...exercise????

Me again!
As most of you know, Mo has been diagnosed with arthritis in his hips, just mild, but IMO ever worsening.
We are limited on the meds he can have due to dodgy blood results, so are trying cod liver oil to no real avail.
We will try other supplements under discussion with our vet, before progressing onto 'proper' meds.

My question,as arthritis is new to me, is what do you do about exercising an arthritic dog?
I'm guessing little and often, but how much is little and what type????
I would be really grateful for all info and input on this.
Thanks guys.
Axxxxxxxxx
Stephanie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-05-2007, 09:59 AM
Hi

My 11 yr old GSD is very arthritic in her hips and she now has Cartophen injections (she has just had her 3rd one of an initial course of 4), they are kind of an antinflamatory and painkiller all in one and the difference is totally amazing, whereas before she would be very doddery when she ran she now runs likes a whippet and no dodderiness at all, she also use to struggle to get up but shes up like a shot now. I also give her supplements - she is currently on Cortaflex but she has also been on Synflex too - why dont you google them.

Also, my 3 yr old rescue rottie, Murphy, his hips and legs are an arthritic mess too, he too is on cortaflex and I also have a Bio-flo collar (magentic collar) which he has worn since the begining of March and I am astounded by the difference it has made to him - with the Cortaflex and Bio-Flo collar we have been able to take him of his Rimadyl - he hasnt been on it since November last year and for those of you on here than know of Murphy's history and the ops he has had on his legs etc that is quite a feat.

As for exercise, little and often is the key, my two get 30-40 mins in the morning and the same again in the evening, all off lead and they are running around chasing rabbits etc and the amazin thing is they dont get lame - but then they do snoooooze all day too

Hydrotherapy is good for arthritic dogs too as they get the exercise from the swimming and the water is weight bearing
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-05-2007, 10:01 AM
Hi Ramble I would say short but regular amounts of exercise at the dogs own pace and preferably on soft ground when possible because it is kinder to the joints.

I think it is best not to leave an arthritic dog to sit around wet after a walk, dry it if you can and keep it warm .

Here is poor old Amy (16) on a walk yesterday,her back legs are quite frail and her heart poor but she loves her little rambles in the field.
Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 011 75.JPG
Views:	181
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	3720   Click image for larger version

Name:	3 75.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	3721   Click image for larger version

Name:	2 75.JPG
Views:	205
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	3722   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 015 75.JPG
Views:	151
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	3723  
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-05-2007, 11:05 AM
mini, Amy is lovely and looks very much like she enjoys her walks still.
Thanks for the info both of you, I know we are going to be limited on his pain meds long term so I'm trying to find out as much as possible.
The nearset off lead walk to us is a good 15 minute walk pounding the pavements, which isn't ideal for him as after a run he then has to pound them back again...I'm guessing OH will be using the car more then!

When he gets off lead he runs round like a BC should, probably too much as he is then suffering when he gets home and is much more stiff. Yesterday for example, OH took him to the park for a 30 min off lead romp...for the first time on his return, he struggled to sit down comfortably...so I just don't know what to do with him really...
I guess once we get his supplements sorted things will improve, we may bring his vet visit forward. I am interested in the bio flow collar though, I know my mum used to swear by a copper bracelet for her arthritis (although it wouldn't touch the sides now!)
Thanks you two!
Miss Potter
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-05-2007, 11:12 AM
I will read this thread with interest!
I have 3 dogs with arthritis. 2 Goldies and a Red Setter.
One of the Goldies has had it for years and will let me know when she does not want to walk etc. The other 2 will try soo hard and then suffer for it!
I am trying to find a happy medium amongst the 5 dogs. The other 2 are young and need lots of excercise.
What I have been told by alot of people is that I am the one that has to limit the excercise rather than let the dog decide. They will always do thier best to keep up with you and please you, even though it may cause them pain.
CLMG
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-05-2007, 11:53 AM
Hi
So sorry your Mo's having problems with arthritis, I don't know if this will help or not, but a friend (human) of myne has arthritis and she takes glucosamine, and she says it's better than any painkiller, and no nauseous side affect either, Holland & Barrett sell a glucosamine for pets, so it is available, but I would consult your vet first befor trying her on it, I hope this is of some use to you and Mo!
CLMG
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-05-2007, 12:16 PM
Sorry just realized it was advice on exercise you were after, brain has just caught up with the rest of me
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-05-2007, 12:38 PM
Originally Posted by Miss Potter View Post
I will read this thread with interest!
I have 3 dogs with arthritis. 2 Goldies and a Red Setter.
One of the Goldies has had it for years and will let me know when she does not want to walk etc. The other 2 will try soo hard and then suffer for it!
I am trying to find a happy medium amongst the 5 dogs. The other 2 are young and need lots of excercise.
What I have been told by alot of people is that I am the one that has to limit the excercise rather than let the dog decide. They will always do thier best to keep up with you and please you, even though it may cause them pain.
Hi Miss Potter I would agree with this particularly in young dogs and when you have a number together. When they are running free excitement/adrenaline overcomes the pain and a dog can easily over exert arthritic limbs. This tends not to be so in some older dogs where frailty acts as a self limiter to distance and speed.

I would say don't allow a dog to over tire itself, only allowing short romps and gentle walking ,short regular walks are less likely to over exert poorly limbs.

In younger fit dogs with arthritis I think hydrotherapy is excellent as Steph suggested, for those interested here is where to find somewhere to go...

Hydrotherapy = click here
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-05-2007, 01:13 PM
Hi Ramble.

As you know, Kip has arthritis. As the others say, only gentle exercise now - I just let Kip go at his own pace, but as long as he is going at his pace and with ocassional rests, we can still be about for 2 hours (not every day). When I play with toys with him, I tend to throw them at him rather than away from him (and if away from him, not that far).

The one thing though is that if they don't get enough exercise, their rear leg muscles will deteriorate, which won't help with their mobility.

Stairs are pretty bad - we quite often have to carry him up/down - he lets us know when he can't manager them by just standing there waiting for us to lift him. Also getting in and out of the car when your OH takes Mo out - I would carry Mo in and out.

As for hydrotherapy - this has made quite a difference to Kip. The hydrotherapist actually manipulates his joints which definitely helps with his mobility and his comfort. Kip had 4 sessions over about a 5 week period, now he is 'as and when' he needs it (this seems to be about 2 months he's about due now).

I must admit I've heard a lot of people swear by glucosomine, but it didn't seem to do anything for Kip.

Each dog is different and you'll gradually learn how much he can cope with by how he is afterwards.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-05-2007, 02:59 PM
Teagan (aged 3) has arthritis in her hips and elbows (as well as dysplasia)
The orthopedic vet told me to let her choose what she wants to do.
I never limit her exercise (she has between 1-2 hours a day), but I guess each dog (depending on the dog, and the age) is different.

I don't have her on any medication....just supplements, as I don't want to go down the medication route yet.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >