View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
susannah92
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-03-2015, 09:17 PM
Just popped in to see if there is any news about Harvey's vet visit today - hope all is ok xx
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2015, 11:37 PM
I was visiting my 90 year old mum today who lives near to Kenny and thought of Harvey ... I do hope things are stable Kenny
Popster
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-03-2015, 04:47 PM
Kenny, please let us know how you and Harvey are, your silence is unsettling. Please try and get in touch.
susannah92
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-03-2015, 09:32 PM
Was hoping there might be an update on Harvey by now - if you log in Kenny please know that we are all thinking of you and Harvey xx
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

21-03-2015, 09:36 PM
Kenny has been on but has chosen not to post
KennyUK
Dogsey Senior
Male 

21-03-2015, 11:21 PM
Hi Everyone

Firstly thank you for your messages of caring and support.

I just want you all to know how much I appreciate it and your kind words, thank you all.

Harvey is back home and doing okay.

tawneywolf is correct that I logged in and I was reading everyone's kind words but Harvey was keeping me busy.

His behavior has been a bit over whelming and I have finally managed to get him to settle down long enough for me to think and type this up.

Despite trying and taking a sleeping pill on Thursday I was in such a mess that I ended up not sleeping at all.

Harvey went in to the vets first thing Friday morning and it was heart wrenching to leave him.

He was quite wobbly, wouldn't eat his breakfast or take his morning Medication and too me, seemed to be very weak.
Before he got in the car he did have a bowel moment which was runny and bright green.

After leaving him I rang my own doctor and he agreed to see me at the end of his morning surgery as I felt I couldn't cope. He has upped my own meds so I feel a bit zoned out tbh.

Harveys new vet did tests to check his haematology, biochemistry, electrolytes and bile acids. They also did his blood pressure and heart and everything came back clear meaning no visible cause for Harveys symptoms showed up.

They called me to collect him at 4pm.

They said that Harvey was not very co-operative and they had to keep him muzzled as he was around staff and other dogs. This is not how Harvey is, completely out of character but his vet said that he is feeling very ill, confused because of his condition, been left by me with strange people in a strange place with other dogs barking and wining so it's perfectly understandable. They also decided not to make him sleepy for some reason.

He would not eat when offered food and he barely drank any water either.

So before they reunited me with Harvey I had a consultation with his new vet to discuss the tests. As I said above they came back as normal and the vet said that in his view Harvey has epilepsy. He said its normally epilepsy would develop in a younger dog but its not unheard of in an older dog.

He said that the Brain Tumour diagnosis just does not sit well with him, he said that he has sadly had a fair number of dog patients with Brain Tumours over the 30 years he has been in practice and Harvey just does not seem to him to present as one who does.

He said that he wished Harvey had not been put of Epi meds (by his previous vet) on the basis of just one seizure because one seizure does not mean epilepsy or a Brain Tumour. He said to take him off med's now would put him at increased risk of having more so for now the poor boy is stuck on them.

He said that the symptoms of increased hunger, increased thirst, up and down appetite, obsessive behaviour and being wobbly and unsteady are all listed side effects of Pexion that should settle down in a few weeks.

So the upshot is he wants to proceed on the assumption that Harvey has had a epileptic episode and he has asked to see him again in two weeks unless anything happens before.

He said that Harveys loss of appetite was probably due to the Pexion and if he still does not eat in 24 hours I should bring him back to the surgery and they would give him something to induce a appetite. He said if he will eat, give him light food such as plain chicken or turkey with some brown rice.

When I went to collect him, even though I was stood right in front of the cage they had him in he did not recognise me at first which is a concern but as soon as he did he shot out of the cage and was so pleased to see me.

I took him outside, took his muzzle off and it was load of waggy tails and lots of licks.

Got him in the car and home.

As soon as he was out of the car he wanted to go into the garden and he sniffing everywhere before deciding he was ready to go in doors. He was still very wobbly and weak.

Straight away he drank loads of water before coming for more love and fuss.

After about 15 mins he went and stood in front of his food bowl and asked for food so I gave him a few slices of cold chicken which he woofed down.

I made myself a light dinner and as I was preparing it Harvey was asking for more food but I decided to let him wait to settle him a bit.

After about half an hour I gave a whole sliced chick breast, some cooked cold rice, a few cubes of fresh carrot and half a apple. They disappeared in seconds as if he was ravenous.

Harvey asked to go for walk so took him over the farmland, he was keen but wobbly.

Strangely we did not actually get very far as he was obsessively sniffing every clump of grass.

After about 10 minutes he decided he wanted to go home.

At home got in his bed and fell straight asleep.

After about an hour he woke up and he wanted to play so we did some gentle tennis ball work in the garden until he did the strange full body tremor again and his back legs nearly went. He was obviously distressed as bolted straight indoors and became very clingy needing lots of reassurance.

It's so hard because although he is not aware of things during the seizure he is plainly aware and affected by his infirmity since.

After a while he got in his bed and fell asleep again.

I woke him at 8pm to give him his medication and he took it without a problem.

He then started obsessively sniffing every inch of the carpet, the sofa, the walls, me. This went on for about an hour, he would sniff everywhere over and over.

Tried ignoring it but after an hour tried breaking behaviour with game play and a treat, Very short attention span - back to sniffing.

After about 2 hours I could not take any more and eventually had to be firm and he got in his bed. He could not settle and kept changing his position.

After about an hour I just had to go to bed as I completely washed out.

TODAY
Greeted with waggy tale and he seemed bright.

Took his Med OK

Asking for breakfast and woofed it down.

He asked for a walk - seemed fine. Didn't run but was spritely in his walking. Mindful he make still be weak I kept the walk shorter than normal.

When we got home he was playful and affectionate but seems to be in pain when in the act of laying down. He did it slowly and carefully.

After an hour or so he got in bed and fell asleep.

Spent the afternoon following me around the garden as I tidied up and seemed fine.

Asked for his dinner and after wanted to go for a walk.

Ended up doing about 4 miles which I hoped would wear him out a bit so he would settle this evening.

Kept a strict eye on him during the walk and he seemed fine. He was trotting off ahead and seemed to be enjoying the scents.

I did notice that his stools were a bit loose and not his usual colour.

Back home he was still energetic and would not settle.

We had lots of fuss and games for a while and when I prepared my tea he was begging for more food (which he didn't get of course).

For the last few hours he has become obsessive in asking to go out but then refusing when I open the back door.

Every few moments he asks but then when I open the door opened he just backs away. I close door he gets in his bed. 3 or 4 minutes later the cycle repeats.

Tried going outside then calling him but he just stands in doorway and refused to come outside.

I am hoping that this is just more side effects of the Pexion.

I have had to be firm with him again which I hate as I feel so guilty. Its not his fault but I had to do something to break his obsessive circle.

He is now asleep in his bed.

Over all I still do not really know what to think.

Harvey started having these shakes or tremors back in last November and it was not until this March that he had his seizure.

While I genuinely hope its epilepsy as that can at least be lessened to some extent with Medication I still do not feel convinced or reassured.

I see my little boy displaying all these different symptoms and going through all the distress he obviously is, I want a definitive diagnosis.

Is that wrong of me?
Popster
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-03-2015, 12:21 AM
Kenny, it's good to hear from you. I would be now guided by your vet and keep a daily diary of Harvey's behaviour until you see the Vet again. It's natural you want a definite diagnosis but in the meantime try not to dwell on it too much and look after yourself just as much as you are looking after Harvey.
KennyUK
Dogsey Senior
Male 

22-03-2015, 01:55 AM
Originally Posted by Popster View Post
Kenny, it's good to hear from you. I would be now guided by your vet and keep a daily diary of Harvey's behaviour until you see the Vet again. It's natural you want a definite diagnosis but in the meantime try not to dwell on it too much and look after yourself just as much as you are looking after Harvey.
Thanks popster

I know your right but it's hard.

I was keeping a diary after it was suggested on here but the vet said it was a good idea too.

As well as being useful for the vet it gives me something to do that feels like it might be useful.

Just been down stairs (1.52am) to check on the boy and he was curled up and looked so cute. Just got big kiss from him.

I'm going to try and get some sleep so will check in with you guys tomorrow. (Or should that be later as its technically tomorrow now).
Bobble
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-03-2015, 08:42 AM
New vet sounds really good and I too was surprised that "BT diagnosis has been made based on only one seizure and no recent or up to date blood work." Then I'm not a vet.

Sending you both love and healing x
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-03-2015, 08:51 AM
Hi Kenny just catching up, try to stay positive and rests when you can..
Page 11 of 62 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 21 61 > Last »