Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

02-08-2009, 06:15 PM
Originally Posted by MaryS View Post
Hi

What do you mean 'good controlled experiments'. I expect you are thinking of the relative simplicity of drug trials...where double blinded controls are possible.

Scientific study methodology must fit the subject, snip
I think if you are going to be that definitive in your criticism you should perhaps understand a little more about first base! The papers are a collection of works from largely US scientists expert in their field. Laura Sanborn has a great deal of credibility.
I have had work published in a scientific journal. I know how it works.
Schnauzerbabe
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-08-2009, 08:30 PM
Lexi was spayed at 6months and we haven't had any problems with her we were advised that it almost certainly eradicates any chance of breast cancer the only question I have and Minihaha may be able to answer this I was told sometimes it locks them in puppyhood and Lexi is now 5 years old and is only in the last few months showing signs of maturity but as she is my first Miniature Schnauzer I don't know if this is just a trait of the breed or it may even be the way we have reared her...
I certainly don't regret having it done at that age though she recovered brilliantly... Our last dog a labX was spayed at around 18months of age as she was a rescue dog....
Sue
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2009, 08:33 PM
weve had 2 bitches...

1 had a season then done

1 no season and done at 6 months

no complications with either

tbh id proabbly now spay before season... saves keeping them in for a month etc....(and the obvious of accidental puppies!)
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2009, 09:55 PM
Cassie was done at 6 months before her first season and has been completely fine
Toby96
New Member!
Female 

06-08-2009, 06:38 PM
Wow, I am surprised one would wait until a dog, male or female, is 6 months old to have them altered. I know that most people on this site are from the UK and you are so progressive there on so many things (like banning docking, etc.).

In Canada (or at least in Alberta) it is very common to have dogs (and cats) fixed at 3 months of age. Many Humane Societies and rescue groups have all their kittens & puppies altered at that age to ensure that the possibility of unwanted litters is Zero.

Waiting for a female dog to have her first season seems very old fashioned & behind the times. There are millions of unwanted dogs put to death in the world every year, and millions more who live short, miserable lives, so why take the chance that your dog will produce even more?

I've have 3 female rescue dogs, two who are seniors (12 & 13) and all were spayed at 3 months of age with no ill effects. Our male dog was neutered at the same age and is big & healthy.
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

06-08-2009, 08:52 PM
In the US in the 50's it was after their first season. In more recent times, 6 months was common. They have most of their adult size then and the males' testicles have descended easing the job.

I think the trend now is to earlier. The assistance dog school we are raising our third puppy for asks us to have it done at 4-5 months.

I haven't seen convincing evidence to put the average pet owner through the risks, hassles, and mess of a female going through her season. We have raised about a dozen females for a dog guide school that spay/neuters their dogs after they are a a year old, so I have experience with it both ways.

The soon it is done, the more likely it will be done, and before there are any accidents, and another unwanted litter is far from the worst that can happen.

In most cases, I would follow your vet's advice.
Toby96
New Member!
Female 

06-08-2009, 08:59 PM
"...another unwanted litter is far from the worst that can happen."

Hmmmm....that is an unsettling statement to me....I'm lost for words.
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-08-2009, 09:07 PM
Funnily enough this is being discussed elsewhere at the moment, with a poll and it seems that pups/bitches spayed young more seem to suffer incontinence than bitches spayed later.

Two of my girls are spayed, one 5 years ago and is nearly 11 now, the other only last summer and is 5, thankfully neither have incontinence to any degree.
Toby96
New Member!
Female 

06-08-2009, 09:09 PM
I have heard that but fortunately have not had that problem with my two old gals. Time will tell with the 4-yr-old.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-08-2009, 09:23 PM
Originally Posted by Toby96 View Post
Wow, I am surprised one would wait until a dog, male or female, is 6 months old to have them altered. I know that most people on this site are from the UK and you are so progressive there on so many things (like banning docking, etc.).

In Canada (or at least in Alberta) it is very common to have dogs (and cats) fixed at 3 months of age. Many Humane Societies and rescue groups have all their kittens & puppies altered at that age to ensure that the possibility of unwanted litters is Zero.

Waiting for a female dog to have her first season seems very old fashioned & behind the times. There are millions of unwanted dogs put to death in the world every year, and millions more who live short, miserable lives, so why take the chance that your dog will produce even more?

I've have 3 female rescue dogs, two who are seniors (12 & 13) and all were spayed at 3 months of age with no ill effects. Our male dog was neutered at the same age and is big & healthy.
hi,ive always longed to go to canada
just because it can be done,doesnt mean it should.whilst i get what you are saying about unwanted litters,i think it boils down to 'inconvenience' not waiting till after the first season.there is NO WAY on earth i would perform this surgery on a 3month dog,and no, its not that i am overly sentimental about ops i am a v.n(but i wouldnt want keyhole surgery either)and neutering a male at that age if you cant put in the comitment to a young animal to stop it breeding at such a young age,well,imo do you have time for the pup at all?(and yes accidents do happen,but it is usualy OUR mistake)as ive said before,each case has to be dealt with as that,no 'should' about it.just my pennies worth,i dont mean to offend,
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >