Our sister sites
Our sister sites
tedsui
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-11-2015, 03:43 PM

How to help new dog settle in?

Hi friends,
After losing my last Border Collie/GSD to thyroid cancer in July I have just adopted a rescue collie X over the last weekend. We brought her home Saturday afternoon and endured pooing and weeing overnight. Sunday we walked her for an hour first thing and she did nothing on the walk. Also she was very worried by my husband and refused to allow him to make any fuss of her. Sunday night at bed time after her last walk she started to howl and kept staring at a corner of the bedroom. This went on for about 5 minutes, which was very eerie. She is more settled today with my husband but keeps pacing around indoors and sniffing everything and giving out short sharp barks. Is this attention seeking do you think? She isn't interested in balls or toys so I'm at a bit of a loss as to how to address the situation.
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2015, 03:57 PM
Not attention seeking just feeling very unsure of her surroundings and everything about it. Sights, smells, people etc. So to just let you know what I did with one of my rescues. I had them by me on a blanket for the first few nights tethered but not tightly just so that they new it was OK to move but not far. This was in the living room and in the bedroom. I kept taking them outside so they new the garden. Take it slowly let her go with you everywhere for a good few days so that she knows you won't disappear on her. This time of year being cooler take her in the car every time you go out if there is no one to be with her at home if you have to go out. One of mine used to stare at a wall. Hope she settles soon. It can take between 6 months to a year for a rescue to settle. Can be quicker depending on age and how many homes etc.
gordon mac
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

23-11-2015, 04:03 PM
I'd only be worried if this sort of behaviour was still occuring after a few weeks. Just now this poor girl has been taken away from anything familiar and her whole life has been turned upside down. You cannot expect a rescue dog (who's history is probably only at best guessed at) just to slot into a new place and regime.
The fear exhibited with regard to your husband could be from something that has happened to her in the past and it will take time and gentleness to overcome it.
Has she been in kennels? if so this could account for the pacing. The sniffing is entirely natural for a dog in a new place, you are most likely aware of just how much information a dog gets from it's olfactory senses and all she is doing is satisfying her curiosity and gathering information about her new surroundings.
She will take time to adjust - please be patient with her, I have no doubt that in time she will become a responsive and much loved companion. BUT it will take time! Only a pot dog is instantly at home.
tedsui
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-11-2015, 05:10 PM
Thank you Brenda1 and Gordon mac, that is very helpful advice. I have had border collies and collie crosses for 40 years and this is the first time I have experienced one that seems to be so damaged and broken. She was a lot more at ease with my husband outside on the walk today but inside it's a different matter, she actually will try to leave the room rather than let him get near her and runs away from him. I was considering returning her to rescue as I'm not sure I'm strong enough to be able to help heal her and I felt perhaps she should live in a female only environment. Her history is that she was a stray picked up and saved from the pound on day 7 and taken into rescue with a large cystic lump under her tummy which was removed the day after arrival along with being spayed. She is craving affection and keeps coming to me for reassurance, but it's my husband and her attitude to him that worries me.
gordon mac
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

23-11-2015, 05:41 PM
Sounds like she has suffered some sort of abuse from a man. Please persevere, let her come to your husband of her own free will, don't try and instigate the contact. She will in time come round. Let him be the one that feeds her, and when you are going out let your husband be the one who stands by the door to put her lead on. All the time talking quietly to her, to reassure!
She will get over it with time. I have at home amongst my dogs a young bitch who only 14months ago was so frightened she would throw herself on the floor and wee if you even raised your voice. She is now confident and very happy. It can be done. Softly, gently and patience are the keywords to success.
tedsui
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-11-2015, 06:24 PM
Ted tried to walk her on his own earlier and she threw herself on the floor and freaked at anything and everything. When he held her lead this morning, with me alongside, she was very confident and walked well, unlike yesterday morning when as soon as I handed the lead to him she stopped dead. At the moment she is standing in my bedroom facing the wall, in the dark, and won't even join me in the lounge. I had to put her harness and lead on earlier as when he approached her she ran off. The next step I know would be to try leaving her for 5 minutes on her own while we stand outside, but I am worried that she will go berserk and wreck our home in her attempts to get out.
gordon mac
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

23-11-2015, 06:35 PM
Too much - too quickly. You are trying to undo a lifetime's damage here. Slow down and if at first she won't accept your husband then so be it. She will in time come round I promise you. A few weeks down the road will see a diferent dog.
tedsui
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-11-2015, 09:23 PM
Thank you again, I will keep working slowly towards healing her troubled soul x
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-12-2015, 05:31 PM
Here's what I would do...have your husband sit down. Relax. His standing will probably make her more freaked out. Bring her into the room and just relax.

Then have him toss treats her way. Something SUPER high value. Like pieces of chicken. Tell him to not look at her. Just...toss the food out on the ground and let her get it. I would do that until she's looking at him and being calm and kind of expecting treats.

Then have him continue that, only toss them a little closer, so she has to go away from you and toward him to get it.

Basically, work your way up to her going to him looking for treats. Until she sees that good things (GREAT THINGS!) come from him.

Have him stop trying to interact with her unless she comes to him and then be calm, sit down, don't meet her eyes, let her come to him.

You can also have him be the only one who feeds her so she starts to realize that awesome amazing things come from him. Trust can take awhile to build, but you don't want to keep pushing her or she'll get more nervous. Let HER set the pace.