Our sister sites
Our sister sites
rjh090384
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-07-2006, 10:18 AM

new dog pulls like mad on lead - harness advice

hey

im sure you are all familiar with my trials and tribulations of our new dog harvey.

i think before we had him he was a family dog allowed to lie about and his pads are so soft i really dont think he was ever walked.

now when we walk him he pulls like mad, so hard i cant help but think he is hurting himself (and my hand!). he is a very very strong lab.

my mum said a harness may be better for him. does anyone have any advice on this?
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2006, 10:33 AM
hiYA

Its a hard one as with some dogs when wearing a harness they pull even more.......

HOwever I have a staffie who pulls like a train and really is a handful, I tried everything from haltis to dogmatic etc head collars and nothing worked as he would either work a way out of it or chew through them, so eventually I found a walkezee harness - website of same name - its great basically stops them from pulling as they cant push against the strap which tightens across their chest the more they pull..

To be honest though with some dogs its trial and error until you get the right thing. obviously if he isnt used to being on lead walking some heel trainign would be the best thing -but I found even with that bruno still pulled - he just likes to walk infront !

I would recommend the walkezee and heel training.

good luck
dani
rjh090384
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-07-2006, 10:48 AM
i might try that one as he does have a bit of staffy in him so that maybe influences him a bit. he really does pull like a train and that is an excellent description.

he pulled my 5'11 16 stone mother over!!!!
Annestaff
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-07-2006, 10:53 AM
I have 3 pullers and tried all sorts of leads and harness's. I recently acquired a Canny Collar and must say its the best buy ever I can walk all 3 of mine at the same time with very little effort
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2006, 12:16 PM
We use dogmatic headcollars, they are excellant.
MazY
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

07-07-2006, 12:34 PM
Originally Posted by rjh090384
my mum said a harness may be better for him. does anyone have any advice on this?
Used one (Mikki Harness @ £7.99) for Blondi (GSD), who had been an outdoor dog and therefore used to going pretty much where she wanted, when she wanted.

The differnce was instant and I returned with my arm still in its socket! Though it's important to appreciate that, in an ideal world, they should be used as temporary aids to get your dog used to walking beside you, and not as complete solution.

One possible drawback is that if your dog is one of those who go loopy when it knows it's about to go out, then getting the harness on could be a challenge.
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2006, 01:02 PM
I think a lot of effort into loose lead training would benefit more here. Roxy has a harness from PAH, but my trainer told me it eases pulling rather than preventing it.

But in only a week we have managed to teach Roxy loose-lead walking and walking off-lead to heel. It may take a bit longer as your dog is older, but its really worth it
Anne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-07-2006, 01:08 PM
Our Patch (9 year old rescue dog) was puling my arms out of the sockets, in the end I got a Halti for him. The strap goes over his nose it is quite loose, but part of it goes around his head (like a halter). there is also a hook to make it fasten to his collar so that he cannot get away from it. Sounds weird but in fact it's very simple. We have lovely walks now, if he starts to pull, his head is pulled down (gently) and he stops. It is a real treat walking with him now. Someday he will hopefully be able to go back to his harness like Millie.
Best of Luck,
AnneXX
rjh090384
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-07-2006, 01:48 PM
we havent let him off the lead yet at least another week until he gets to know his area and we are secure in the knowledge that he wont run away. he is just sooooooooo strong adn curious that he will yank you whatever way he wants and it is physically impossible to control him

we tried stopping everytime he pulled bu the then jsut sat down patiently and waited for us to start walking again!!!
rjh090384
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-07-2006, 01:49 PM
...and yes he is one of those dogs that goes nuts when he is about to go out. its hard enought to get a lead on him!!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >