Our sister sites
Our sister sites
shehri
New Member!
Male 

11-01-2015, 04:05 PM

Dog on leash

Hey Everyone,
I hope everyone is having a fantastic day, I have 6 month old labrador and for the past 3 months I have hardly ever kept him on a leash, he has recently started chewing everything due to the teething phase and at night when he is alone outside the house in our yard (Which is pretty big including his dog house which is pretty big as well) he destroys the yard. Digs holes and eats the leaves from our plants. My parents dont allow me to keep him in side because of religious norms, but i do bring him in my room for 2 hours a day spend time with him. other then that i take him to walk in the morning for 1 hour then give him training lessons through out the day and play fetch so im sure he isn't lacking exercise. I also have a pretty energetic sister who plays with him alot. I was wondering that would it be okay if i start putting him on a leash at night. From 11pm-7am that is, this way he wont carry out destruction in the yard and in the morning i have my butler supervising him so he won't. By the way he has aloot of chew toys infact I made many my self for him and everything but still he chews everything he can lay his hands on at night. Ohh one more thing when he plays with my sister he bites her clothes, NOT when im around this way she cant play alone because one time the bite ripped through her clothes and she got hurt.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2015, 06:08 PM
All part of the normal teething process. Don't let him bite clothing. Remove him if this happens. He'll grow out of the chewing phase. If he is tearing up everything, perhaps a tether might be a good idea. Not a leash though, it's too short.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-01-2015, 06:23 PM
Hello Shehriyar and welcome
I think it is unsafe to leave your dog on a lead of any length overnight, he could get tangled and a hurt a limb or worse still choke to death

Take heart the teething phase should pass quite soon.
I would make sure your dog has 'safe' toys to chew when there is someone around and if possible confine him to one small area at night removing things you do not wish him to chew providing a comfy bed to encourage him to settle and sleep
Meg
Supervisor

11-01-2015, 06:39 PM
Ohh one more thing when he plays with my sister he bites her clothes, NOT when im around this way she cant play alone because one time the bite ripped through her clothes and she got hurt.
How old is your sister Puppies love to play particularly if their playmate squeals or flaps around and the worst punishment is to remove the chance to play.

So this is what you need to try,
..when your puppy starts biting clothes stand still arms folded across the chest and no word no eye contact.
The moment the puppy stops biting clothes give gentle praise (not too excited) and maybe play with a toy .
Your puppy should quickly learn..
jumping up and biting clothes = no play ,
playing with a toy no biting clothes = play

You need to be constant about this with everyone adopting the same stance and don't expect instant success.
You know when someone can't hear you so you speak louder? Well dogs do that and if they are not getting the attention the unwanted behaviour can get worse for a bit .
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2015, 06:58 PM
People here have chained dogs for years. Not only at night, but cruelly all the time. Not once has the dog choked himself whilst on a long chain or tether lol. Dogs are not stupid and imo that is not a concern at all. Assuming you don't tie him to a tree where he can get wound around thus shortening it too much, or a fence that he can tug it loose it should be safe. On the other hand, he may hate it and yell all night, causing additional problems. Maybe a crate would be better.
Meg
Supervisor

11-01-2015, 07:11 PM
Originally Posted by mjfromga View Post
People here have chained dogs for years. Not only at night, but cruelly all the time. Not once has the dog choked himself whilst on a long chain or tether lol. .
How do you know this Myra ? I know of chained dogs who have been injured .

Here is one example of a dog choking..
Police said in the document that the dog appeared to have climbed on its dog house next to a chain-linked fence and then jumped over the neighbor’s six-foot wooden fence. The dog’s tether got caught between the wooden slates of the fence and she hanged herself, police said. Police said there were numerous scratches on the wooden fence that showed the dog “slowly choked to death.”
http://www.statesman.com/news/news/c...o-death/nfbrr/
I would never suggest that a member leaves a puppy tied up overnight.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2015, 07:23 PM
The dog was injured because the fence was too short. If you make a habit of letting your dogs go over your fence, of course harm is going to come to it. Tethering a dog near a dog house where he can get over the fence... lol how stupid. People here do not have fences, as I've said many times because the ground is too rocky so that kind of ridiculous scenario (the tether was only one of the mega fails this owner committed) doesn't happen here. Notice I told the op not to tether to a fence.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2015, 07:31 PM
This dog could not be on a long chain/tether because it would still be able to cause damage/destruction in the yard. So I would think that a short tether is very likely to cause injury.
IMHO for what it is worth, this is a very dangerous and cruel practice.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

11-01-2015, 08:07 PM
It's not a good idea to leave your pup chained/tethered when alone, he could very well injure himself, maybe if you have to keep him outside, build him a kennel and run, somewhere he can be safe with shelter but not in danger of strangling himself.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2015, 08:08 PM
Hi,Welcome to Dogsey
Just wondering if it would be possible to build him a outside run?That way at night he'll be safe without being leashed and can't cause any damage
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >