View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Murphy's Law
New Member!
Female 

24-07-2012, 06:30 PM

Possible food allergy - can you recommend an alternative food to Hills or Purina?

Hi

I have a 9 month BC pup who constantly scratches himself, has raw patches on his legs and who has weepy eyes. We have tried various antihistamines, a steroid spray, a steroid injection, eyes drops, antibiotics and nothing seems to have worked except the eye drops but when we stop using them the redness and weeping returns.

I carried out some research in to the various foods and changed his food a few months ago to Applaws which is natural, does not contain animal derivatives or by-products and is not full of cereals but it is not helping the situation.

After hounding the vet (as I don't want to wait until the pup becomes bald), they have spoken with their dermatologist who has suggested a strict diet and have recommended Hills, Purina HA or Royal Canin - all companies of which are reputed to test on animals (particularly the 1st 2).

I seem to be getting carried away on a tidal wave of information and wondered if anyone could offer me any advice please?

Thanks.
Polarbear2008
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-07-2012, 06:39 PM
My Bailiie was on hills science plan and I changed her to Arden Grange at the beginning of June. She's two so a bit older than your pup but she loves the chicken and rice kibble She eats it with no fuss and licks her dish until it looks as though it never had food in it! She also has 2.5ml of yumega oil for her skin and coat and has had this since she was a tiny pup. This kibble is hypoallergenic so should be good for your dog - they do do a puppy kibble which will also be hypoallergenic. Good luck
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2012, 06:43 PM
Each dog with it's allergies is different, and all I can do to help is tell you what worked for my dog with his dreadfully itchy skin, ears etc. (He also becomes excessively thirsty when suffering with his allergy, and is a little depressed).

The one food that he is able to tolerate is fish and potato - I know of two companies that supply this as a kibble, the first one is Wafcol but we had to change from them when they altered the recipe and it had adverse affects on Jimmi. The one he is on now, and which suits very well, is Fish4Dogs salmon and potato. He adores it which is good! They also do fishskin treats.

Good luck, it is such a minefield - but whichever food you try, be sure to give it a decent length of time before deciding that it isn't working for your dog. Of course, if the itching becomes worse then you will have to think again sooner rather than later.
Thalice
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-07-2012, 06:46 PM
This is silly.

How do you know what to feed him, if you dont know what he is allergic to ?

Surely the vet should recommend an exclusion diet first.

I had to do this with a long ago bitch - she wouldnt eat the commercial brands so we started on pasta and pilchards with a few veggies thrown in. Her skin gradually improved over 6 - 8 weeks (whilst at the same time being treated with AB's and steroids) So at that stage we were sure she wasnt allergic to pasta, pilchard (and whatever they came in) or the veggies. So we started adding in other foods, one at at time. A week of adding tripe in- no problems, a week of adding rice in - no probs, until we got to chicken - instant reaction - pink tummy, sore ears, nibbling feet. So she was allergic to chicken.

We eventually got back onto normal dog food, but it was very difficult at that time to source something she would eat that wasnt basted in chicken oil to make it palatable. She lived the rest of her very long life free of the problem - except if she managed to snaffle some chicken - and this we treated with piriton.

Hope this helps

Good luck.

Thalice's Mum
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2012, 06:53 PM
Originally Posted by Bitkin View Post
The one food that he is able to tolerate is fish and potato - I know of two companies that supply this as a kibble, the first one is Wafcol but we had to change from them when they altered the recipe and it had adverse affects on Jimmi. The one he is on now, and which suits very well, is Fish4Dogs salmon and potato. He adores it which is good! They also do fishskin treats.
Arden Grange do it aswell
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2012, 07:33 PM
Originally Posted by Hevvur View Post
Arden Grange do it aswell
Yes they do, but I think that I researched that one and it has animal proteins in it, or grains? Will go and google

Just googled, and as I thought, their fish and potato also contains chicken oil and egg products.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2012, 08:46 PM
It is a minefield. I am going through the same thing with one of my GSDs, but thankfully his skin is actually in excellent condition, except for the odd, occasional hotspot. However, he itches, scratches and nibbles all the time. He was today put on some steroid treatment and has had a blood test to check his thyroid.

Have you considered an exclusion diet, such as Thalice has suggested? That is my next route.

Skin problems are notoriously difficult to diagnose

Btw - I don't live too far from you
Murphy's Law
New Member!
Female 

24-07-2012, 09:42 PM
Hi

Thanks all for the posts.

Thalice's mum we have no idea if in fact he has got any food allergies but just to rule it out the vet is recommending Hills, Purina or Royal Canin as an 8 week exclusion diet! It would make more sense to probably make our own - where did you get the info on the amounts to feed your dog?

Moobli, our Floyd's skin is pretty good at the moment but he does the same as your GSD and it drives us all crazy and it's only a matter of time before it's not looking good. Where about do you stay?

I have had a look at Exclusion Dog Food - has anyone heard of this?
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2012, 07:26 AM
I haven't heard of that dog food before, but intend on making my own as soon as I get back from my holiday and see how we fare.

I live up in the Lammermuirs. Do you know the Whiteadder Reservoir?
Langs
New Member!
Female 

25-07-2012, 08:30 AM
Our 5 yr old Polish Lowland bitch had really itchy skin but vet could not find any skin problem and suggested a complete change of diet. We had tried most dog foods and in desperation we started her with Raw foods and have never looked back. No skin or itch problems anymore and our other 2 are on it too. The bonus is that she is fit and happy and less rubbish out of the other end. Made so much difference to Saskia and is wonderful to see her eat with relish and have far more 'bounce' than she used to. We purchase the meat ready packaged from a good supplier and add raw veg. She also has fish, eggs, yougurt etc so I think she eats better than me!!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >