Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kat14778
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-05-2012, 07:43 AM

Any suggestions ??

In a couple of weeks we are off on holiday near croyde north devon as usual we are taking the dogs. My question being cassie is a 4 year old speyed american bull dog cross staffie, she was diagnosed with hip dysplasia around xmas time.The vet has had her on glucosamine tablets since then but after even the shortest walk she is very lame on her back left leg sometimes struggling to put it to the floor.ive booked a appointment at the vets to get her some metacam while we are away( shes not on it regular as vet didnt feel it was necersary) but any other ideas apart from taking walks easy and reducing time were out that i could do to help her hate seeing my girl struggle.

ps at the mo she also goes hydro once a week and ive just started her on yomove and apple cider vinegar nothing seems to improve her stiffness though
Northernsoulgirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2012, 01:27 PM
Sorry no help re. the HD but just wanted to say hope you have a brilliant time. Croyde is just stunning, we've often taken our dogs there.
Bella2012
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-05-2012, 01:32 PM
Have you tried cod liver oil? are dogs allowed this? just a thought as good for us humans, I wonder if someone can offer some advice on this.
kat14778
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-05-2012, 01:53 PM
i think ive tryed her on everything lol she has had cod liver oil in the past but didnt seem to do anything. she hasnt had it for a while so suppose i could try it again specially since she seems to be getting worse. T hanks for the advice ps ment to mention in first post she also has a bio flow collar again seems to be no improvement. really looking forward to holiday good to hear it is a nice place thanks
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2012, 01:56 PM
I too hate to see a pet struggling if I think there is anything I could possibly do to alleviate the problem.

I cannot advise but wanted to say I hope you have a GREAT break and that is a lovely part of the UK.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

05-05-2012, 02:46 PM
Originally Posted by kat14778 View Post
i think ive tryed her on everything lol she has had cod liver oil in the past but didnt seem to do anything. she hasnt had it for a while so suppose i could try it again specially since she seems to be getting worse. T hanks for the advice ps ment to mention in first post she also has a bio flow collar again seems to be no improvement. really looking forward to holiday good to hear it is a nice place thanks
Thats sad my young Bernese has just been diagnosed with HD mild grade 1 did the vet your grade your dogs HD ? He has the vet vits glucosamine tablets for now and is back on exercise after we were told cruciate so he had been on rest. X-rays revealed knees (stifles) fine.

I have ordered the Synflex for him it has very good reviews he isn't struggling with exercise he is doing very well he will be getting hydro at the end of the month. I have also read good things about ester c and have also heard good things about green lipped muscle which is also on order. He also gets apple cider vinegar has done since he came home.

Low impact exercise is meant to be good and as much as they can manage and gentle slopes for building up the muscle mass. I hope you can get something for him so he can enjoy the holiday. We have been told Rymadil if and when needed thankfully for now he isn't needing them.
kat14778
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-05-2012, 03:37 PM
hi lynn have been following your threads sorry to hear about your dogs diagnosis so young. my vet didnt really give me much info to be honest but gonna ask some questions when i take her back in a few days, have not tryed synflex so may be a way forward thanks for your reply hate seeing her limp around i may increase her hydo only time she appears really happy and no pain
ljru1970
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-05-2012, 06:05 PM
My vet has suggested I use Metacam on an ad hoc basis for my Goldie. She says she has experience of it working, and has recommended I give it to him the day before I'm taking him for a longer walk.
kat14778
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-05-2012, 06:59 PM
Went in vets on Fri for metacam but since its 3months since she had any got take her for a review but think that's all the vets will do