Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
gabrielle willi
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-06-2008, 10:58 PM

any help appreciated

i have a 5 year old border collie orce who i rescued when he was 9 months we have been training agility since he was old enough and he loves it also been competing now for 2-3 years but he has 1 problem which he is running out of the ring into another after the other dog to play, he grew out of this but the past 2 competitions we've been to he has started again im working on securing his recall and leave command but if there is any1 out there who has the same problem or could suggest anything to help i would be most grateful we have the kc festival coming up where he is in the starters cup.
i no he can do it he won for me in april and is constantly in the placings when he doesnt run off?!
please help
gabrielle
xxx
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2008, 12:34 AM
The first step would be mentioning it to your instructor

Ok, so now he has started doing it to go and play with other dogs, previously it was birds but focussing and distracting him pretty much cracked it so we just need to do the same but will be easier this time, [ honest ].

If you let your instructor know if you can come earlier than usual tomorrow evening she will ensure you get to do some work with her co-instructor there at the same time for some dual training, initially just having another dog walking past the enclosure,[ I`m sure Defa will oblige ], while Orca is training, and gradually increasing the distraction to levels he can cope with until he can happily train un-distracted while another dog trains on equipment more or less next to him at the same time, [ making sure we are setting him up to succeed, not trying to trip him up to fail obviously ].
The good thing for Orca is that he is`nt aggressive about it, it is just playfulness on his part so we just need to make you more play-worthy than the other dogs, much like what we worked on for Sheba and weaves last time
I picked up a new pocket sized squeaky toy the other day which we will use initially then we can work on an easy vocal sound for you to use instead so that you won`t be reliant on using a squeaker to get his attention, and don`t worry you`ll crack it no problem, you are a much better handler than you realise, you just get a bit frustrated at yourself sometimes, so it`s my job to build your confidence and that in itself will help keep Orca more focussed on you

[ I know I could have just phoned to go over it but I figure responding here might hopefully help others too and others of course might have good suggestions too, a fresh eye is always a good thing ]
Sarah.B
New Member!
Female 

30-06-2008, 02:21 PM
There has been a lot of talk on another agility forum about this problem. Its good that your dog is friendly but it would be worrying if he was attacked by another dog that wasn't so friendly. A lot of dogs wouldn't appreicate another dog running up to it when they are queuing or even worse hyped up and running their course.
Is there a piece of equipment that he is losing intrest in you and looking for something else that you have noticed?
I would go back to training with a toy to keep his attention on you with loads of play as your going round.
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2008, 05:56 PM
At the last training session it became clear it`s when he is on equipment along the outer of the ring so I gave Abbie some direction for that scenario and we can carry on working on extra distraction in `trigger` spots so she will have lots of that to do at her next session this week

Of course if all competitions were like Burnham, [ South East ], and fully netted all the rings it would be much less of a problem for all dogs including helping to prevent occasional loose dogs running in to rings, not just out of them.

Abbie competed at the weekend and Orca stayed in the ring plus Abbie won out of Grade 2 with her Medium, Sheba, so rather a good result all round
Sarah.B
New Member!
Female 

01-07-2008, 01:45 PM
Congraulations on your win. at least you know where the trigger points now so you have got something to work with. Good luck x
gabrielle willi
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-07-2008, 08:09 PM
thank you very much xx
sjpurt
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2008, 08:22 PM
oh well done hun bet you are pleased, best trainer in the world there so you will have no problems. good luck with all you doing hun