Our sister sites
Our sister sites
dori-katie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-03-2007, 06:21 PM

Chewing walls

Hi

When we are out one of our dogs (i think it is Katie our GSD not sure though) chews a corner of the wall in the hall and a corner on the cupbaord in the kitchen.
They are locked in the kitchen and hall but only for 3 hours at a time as my mother and mother in law let them out while we are not a home which is 2 days 8 til half 3 and then 2 days 8 til 1.
Is it seperation anxiety? boredom?
How can we stop it, its not good for them or our house.

Thanks
S-J
Gina&Jaz
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-03-2007, 06:53 PM
What do they have to keep them occupied while you're out? Sounds to me like boredom.
Niknak
Dogsey Senior
Male 

27-03-2007, 07:42 PM
I agree - sounds like they're bored - have you tried them massive bones that take a week to get through? I wouldn't suggest toys as most can be shewed in an hour and have to be supervised.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

27-03-2007, 08:03 PM
know what you mean we have 2 corners of our walls chewed,whether we are home or not we have the ig hide chews and I spray with a chew deterrent from PAH hoping as the teething subsides so will the chewing.
dori-katie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-03-2007, 08:05 PM
Yeah we have had the big bones but there is a little problem my goldie Dori takes katies bone and guards it
SarahJ
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-03-2007, 09:11 PM
Can you split them up? i personally wouldnt leave a dog that likes to guard with one of my others, they are fine in the home when i am there one raised voice from me and they quit... But if i wasnt there i wouldnt leave anything that could or would cause a squabble...
dori-katie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-03-2007, 09:24 PM
Thanks SarahJ, I was wondering that as we have a stairgate inbetween the kitchen and hall, so they would be able to see each other.
Would they get destressed that they couln't get to each other?
even though Dori is funny to Katie sometimes they do love each other
SarahJ
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-03-2007, 10:19 PM
I dont know your situation re: the girls but i wouldnt trust mine together 100% the safety gate sounds ideal at least then you could find out who is doing the damage and work from there... Does one get a telling off whilst you are out from the other dog as it wants to be left alone? its very easy to think ahh but its got company when maybe the other dog isnt so much of a willing playmate! so one dog resorts to chewing from boredom whilst the other snores its cares away ...... you have to strike a balance..
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-03-2007, 11:11 PM
I would definitely split them up & see if it makes a difference. Have you checked their teeth one of mine started chewing in the night & that turned out to be an absis under one of his front teeth.
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2007, 08:19 AM
What age is she? Could she be teething?

Chewing is usually boredom if not teething, dogs get a hormone release (like us eating chocolate) when they chew stuff, so it helps them alleviate stress.

If one of your dogs guards bones, why not try a couple of giant stuffed Kongs, freeze them and give them one each before you leave. I do this when I have to leave Marius and it keeps his peggies off the skirting board as it takes ages to get all the goodies out and by the time he does he is usually tired.:smt002

Can you exercise them before you leave, this will make them more tired and prone to having a nap when you leave them.

Both my GSDs were 'chewy' I think they are like that as a breed, my Jasper did it until he was about 2 - 2.5yrs old, then suddenly stopped! I am sure she will grow out of it soon
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >