Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2006, 01:03 PM
Originally Posted by Heldengebroed View Post
Another view on things.

In working line malinois culling is done. Pups with e defect are culled.

combine this with a severe trainingprogramme and you get a healty population.

Take another similar breed. GSD no culling softer training and lots of genetic deseases

On the long run which is best?

Greetings

Johan
I've heard though that sometimes in working Mals pups are culled because they are female - is this correct?

A better knowledge of breeding and genetics, rather than culling (which is curing the symptom and not the cause) would be better. If dogs are born with defects - some of those might be carried genetically in dogs that are kept alive...
Heldengebroed
Dogsey Senior
Male 

22-11-2006, 01:12 PM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
I've heard though that sometimes in working Mals pups are culled because they are female - is this correct?

A better knowledge of breeding and genetics, rather than culling (which is curing the symptom and not the cause) would be better. If dogs are born with defects - some of those might be carried genetically in dogs that are kept alive...
Yes sometimes females are culled.

The understanding of lines and breeding is one of the reasons they cull.

If you practice linebreeding and/or inbreeding you get an amplification of good and bad "genes" if you rule out the bad you are kept with the good.

Greetings

Johan
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

22-11-2006, 01:59 PM
I am absolutely shocked and disgusted makes me dislike breeders even more
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2006, 02:46 PM
Originally Posted by Heldengebroed View Post
Yes sometimes females are culled.

The understanding of lines and breeding is one of the reasons they cull.

If you practice linebreeding and/or inbreeding you get an amplification of good and bad "genes" if you rule out the bad you are kept with the good.

Greetings

Johan
Johan thanks for confirming this although I have to say I find it shocking

I find the culling of any pups, unless for the pup's own individual health, (if there is such a time) abhorrent.
squeak
New Member!
Female 

22-11-2006, 02:54 PM
whats the point of breeding a litter of puppies and then killing them? its not responsible its sick! I could understand it if it was an unhealthy pup which had to be PTS by a vet, but to deliberately breed a litter of 12 lurcher pups and then kill 8 of them is just awful. and very selfish too. if thats the kind of people you "admire" dawn I feel sorry for you
spot
Dogsey Veteran

22-11-2006, 02:59 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
At the risk of being shouted at I think culling should be done more, especially in rescue, where umpteen dogs are being reared and having to be found homes. If a bitch comes in in whelp, I would leave her with no more than two puppies, far better on resources and a chance for older dogs to get a home in preference, which may otherwise be overlooked.

A friend of mine bred a litter of Lurchers recently, the bitch had 12, he wanted to keep 2, his brother wanted one, and so did a friend, he culled 8, he said, he was responsible for what he produced, this way he knew where they were all going and he knew they were safe. I actually admire him for that, I dont think i could do it to one of my own.
Dawn.

How can purposely breeding a litter compare to rescues not killing puppies that are born (most rescues will if a pregnant bitch comes in do an emergency spey)

IMO we should be culling byb’s like this! What sort of person has so little thought for life to bring in yet another litter of lurchers just because he and a mate wanted one, its exactly the same as the idiots who breed my doggy cuz its cute!

How on earth were they all safe? The vast majority were dead.
Heldengebroed
Dogsey Senior
Male 

22-11-2006, 03:00 PM
If you practise close linebreeding and inbreeding you get or super healty dogs or dogs with problems. The little ones with problems are culled. The remaining are outbred to other lines and you get a stable healthy genepool. (in a nutshell) The best dogs come frome these lines. Basicaly for the individu it is cruel but for the breed it is a healthy attitude.
And there is also naturaral culling done by the mother (eg the litter my youngest mal comes from at least 5 pups were killed by the mother (confirmed kills) and after authopsy they reveiled a severe viral bloodinfection not detectable with the naked eye.

greetings

Johan
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2006, 03:01 PM
The puppies were bred intentionally and they were Greyhound/Deerhound crosses, a large litter was expected, and she had 12. He had them PTS by the Vet who actually agreed with him. I still respect his views, he didnt want to raise all the puppies and have to find the "right" homes for them, especially given the current state of Greyhound and lurcher rescue. His dogs are for his work as much as his pets. i have no problem with what he did, but I couldnt of done it myself.

Dont feel sorry for me Squeak, some people "respect" folk who cause damage, arson, terror etc.. to people who work in laboratories, I dont!
Dawn.
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2006, 03:19 PM
Quote from Borderdawn "The puppies were bred intentionally and they were Greyhound/Deerhound crosses, a large litter was expected, and she had 12. He had them PTS by the Vet who actually agreed with him. I still respect his views, he didnt want to raise all the puppies and have to find the "right" homes for them, especially given the current state of Greyhound and lurcher rescue. His dogs are for his work as much as his pets. i have no problem with what he did, but I couldnt of done it myself"

Sounds to me like he couldn't be bothered with the responsibility of raising a litter more like. If he works his dogs he would know other people where he could of got a puppy or indeed as you mention the Lurcher rescue rather than putting his bitch through a pregnancy and loss of her pups for his own selfish sake
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2006, 03:22 PM
Originally Posted by megan57collies View Post
Quote from Borderdawn "The puppies were bred intentionally and they were Greyhound/Deerhound crosses, a large litter was expected, and she had 12. He had them PTS by the Vet who actually agreed with him. I still respect his views, he didnt want to raise all the puppies and have to find the "right" homes for them, especially given the current state of Greyhound and lurcher rescue. His dogs are for his work as much as his pets. i have no problem with what he did, but I couldnt of done it myself"

Sounds to me like he couldn't be bothered with the responsibility of raising a litter more like. If he works his dogs he would know other people where he could of got a puppy or indeed as you mention the Lurcher rescue rather than putting his bitch through a pregnancy and loss of her pups for his own selfish sake
Yep thats your opinion.
Page 4 of 16 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 > Last »