Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
teenytiny
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-11-2006, 05:17 PM

Notorious digger

As some of you know, Georgie is a male AB X Staff. He is 12wks old now.

Well, Georgie has taken a shine to digging. Yep, I know many dogs dig, but Georgie pines for a dig!!

* He has dug up half of my flower bed ( approx 8ft long ) in the space of about 15mins
* He has dug one of the huge plant pots out that I have on my patio
* He has dug a hole approx 2ft deep...yep 2 ft deep, at the side of my lawn
* And yesterday he decided to dig a nice hole in my front garden whilst I was outside talking to my neighbour!

He is not specifically digging for a reason, well he's shown no signs of looking for something, so .....

Does anyone have ideas on this digging business as ive never had a dog that digs before!!!
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-11-2006, 05:24 PM
Hi teenytiny digging is natural canine behaviour, more so in some breeds than others (like Terriers ).
If you don't want George to dig distract him with some other toy, or better still portion off a section of garden and build a small sand pit, then hide dog biscuits or his toys in it so that he has somewhere to dig.
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-11-2006, 05:36 PM
I was advised to have an area that he/she was allowed to dig in and bury stuff there for him, but not sure how to stop it entirely. My Fudge is a digger dog too and we have a current hole about 3 feet deep under the kids trampoline. She looks so funny with just her rear end sticking out and her tail waving like a flag.She normally goes outside to bury bones/chews etc. then brings them in black and minging several days later.Good luck and be sure to pm me if you find a cure.
teenytiny
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-11-2006, 05:38 PM
Thanks, thats a really good idea the sandpit idea. I didnt think of that, and will run it past my husband now!

I tried distracting him with toys but once he's in digging mode he doesnt stop for anyone or anything. I think his own digging patch would be my best bet.

Thanks for the great idea!