register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

01-10-2017, 09:48 PM
Well....I was saying that Kesh is eating soil, but only from specific areas,and she seems to be hunting it down, just found this

Salicylates are the salts and esters of salicylic acid. Naturally occurring in varying concentrations in many fruits and vegetables, salicylates are stored in the bark, leaves, roots, and seeds of plants, and act as a natural immune hormone and preservative, preventing rotting and protecting the plant against harmful insects, bacteria, and fungi. Salicylates are chemically very similar to the man-made chemical, acetylsalicylic acid, a key ingredient in aspirin and other pain medications.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-10-2017, 09:52 PM
So basically she's self medicating?
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-10-2017, 09:56 PM
I find this whole thing mind blowing.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-10-2017, 09:59 PM
Originally Posted by Kazz View Post
I find this whole thing mind blowing.
Me too.Amazing.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

01-10-2017, 10:00 PM
Yes, thats what alerted me to something pretty drastic going on, along with the refusal of certain foods and she was so drained, from being so full of life, she went virtually semi comatose. As she was in season my first worry was open pyo, vet visit and scan showed nothing, heart fine, etc. Next day she was worse, so took her back for bloods and they have come back with this, which is auto immune condition. I couldn't get my head around the refusal to eat things she normally loved, until Kazz pointed out they were high in Salicylates which is a blood thinner. Well if your blood cells are so low they are off the scale, you don't want to thin them do you. Then again, if she is self medicating why is she after the very thing that thins the blood, unless there is other stuff in there. But it is rotting leaves, but only some, that she digs in, and the others help her find it as well!!! Things she is interested in eating are low in it.
Mandyuk1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-10-2017, 10:09 PM
Originally Posted by Lacey10 View Post
Me too.Amazing.
And me, clever girl Keshi
Mandyuk1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-10-2017, 10:12 PM
Originally Posted by Lacey10 View Post
Ah MANDY,sorry about your mum
Aww thank you.
Mums ok thing is, she's still walking Buddy 3 times a day, on her OWN even though her friend from above her said she'd take him at night!! She's got a flipping broken wrist, and she wonders why I worry
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-10-2017, 10:12 PM
Roll on Tuesday eh?Having a wee read here,I'll get carried away no doubt.Fingers crossed all will be well,thinking of you both TW(( hugs))
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-10-2017, 10:16 PM
Originally Posted by Mandyuk1 View Post
Aww thank you.
Mums ok thing is, she's still walking Buddy 3 times a day, on her OWN even though her friend from above her said she'd take him at night!! She's got a flipping broken wrist, and she wonders why I worry
The Mum's are made of tougher stuffBless her,sure she's fine Mandy,probably loving her wee time out too.Is she still living abroad?
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

01-10-2017, 10:16 PM
You see, I am used to this with them, to me it is normal that they will do this. Interestingly I offered her a blackberry from a bush we were passing and she looked like I was feeding her poison, and I thought very strange. Looking on the list of high Salicylates is blackberries!!!
My vets are fascinated with the fact that my pregnant girls will refuse to eat bones within 10 days prior to giving birth and around 2 weeks after because they are monitoring their own calcium levels because of eclampsia. I never thought anything of it, to me it is normal behaviour,apparently not!!! They will also monitor the calcium levels of their babies, I can give the puppies a chicken carcass, the minute it is stripped of meat, one of the girls confiscates it and they are not allowed near it, I give the babies bones at around 3/4 weeks because I know the mother will take the bone away from them if they show any sign of gnawing it. Again to me this is normal, but its a behaviour my vets are amazed by
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >